The Student Room Group

my seminar tutor makes me uncomfortable

early in first year this tutor followed me into the toilets after shouting at me and so I feel extremely uncomfortable around her, even now. like anxiety attack level.
ive just been put into seminar and tutorial groups with her again for the first time since and I know im not going to want to attend if I have to see her. is it appropriate to ask for a move to the other group?
Reply 1
I'm sorry to hear about this. If you're okay with answering this - why is she shouting at you? That seems extremely unprofessional and she shouldn't be doing that - there are better ways to communicate things with a student then that. In regards to her following you into the toilets - this may just be a coincidence and nothing more than that. If her behaviour persists, try your best to stay civil, so that this doesn't reflect badly on you and speak to your student rep / personal tutor or a member of the student union in regards to this situation. I had a situation in which I wanted to move tutorial groups in first year, but I later found out that this wasn't possible at all and it might make things awkward. Don't let her attitude affect your studying, it would be worth going to those tutorials and seeing what happens - give it a try and hopefully it'll be fine, but if you really don't feel good about it then it would be worth doing as I mentioned previously. I hope things get better for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Bean_cat
I'm sorry to hear about this. If you're okay with answering this - why is she shouting at you? That seems extremely unprofessional and she shouldn't be doing that - there are better ways to communicate things with a student then that. In regards to her following you into the toilets - this may just be a coincidence and nothing more than that. If her behaviour persists, try your best to stay civil, so that this doesn't reflect badly on you and speak to your student rep / personal tutor or a member of the student union in regards to this situation. I had a situation in which I wanted to move tutorial groups in first year, but I later found out that this wasn't possible at all and it might make things awkward. Don't let her attitude affect your studying, it would be worth going to those tutorials and seeing what happens - give it a try and hopefully it'll be fine, but if you really don't feel good about it then it would be worth doing as I mentioned previously. I hope things get better for you.

the class was unhappy with what we were learning and some were about to leave the course because of it, the class was talking about this when she came back in the room and heard this she took it as a reflection of herself - a lecturer who was new to this university. I tried to explain their concerns in a way she would understand what we are talking about but she took all our concerns to heart and shouted in conversation at me specifically. I left the class, I am not about to be shouted at, and she followed me outside into the corridor. I started to move fast and she followed behind fast calling after me, I was obviously confused, I ran into the disabled toilet thinking she would stop. she went into the women's toilets and started pushing every door open, this started freaking me out, then she came out the women's and pushed open the disabled toilet door, which was open (bc im not ****ing why would you push at a toilet door to look for a student you barely know???). I then ran out, shouted something like "why did you do that" and she stopped following.

I reported this to the head of the department (it was freshers and I did not know who to talk to) and nothing came of it. I stopped attending much and was happy to not have to see her again after that module. thought that would be the end of it but now im in her class and that modules leader isn't replying to my email asking who the tutors are (theres a discrepancy between calendar, module guide and module info ffs) just to confirm if it is her.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
the class was unhappy with what we were learning and some were about to leave the course because of it, the class was talking about this when she came back in the room and heard this she took it as a reflection of herself - a lecturer who was new to this university. I tried to explain their concerns in a way she would understand what we are talking about but she took all our concerns to heart and shouted in conversation at me specifically. I left the class, I am not about to be shouted at, and she followed me outside into the corridor. I started to move fast and she followed behind fast calling after me, I was obviously confused, I ran into the disabled toilet thinking she would stop. she went into the women's toilets and started pushing every door open, this started freaking me out, then she came out the women's and pushed open the disabled toilet door, which was open (bc im not ****ing why would you push at a toilet door to look for a student you barely know???). I then ran out, shouted something like "why did you do that" and she stopped following.

I reported this to the head of the department (it was freshers and I did not know who to talk to) and nothing came of it. I stopped attending much and was happy to not have to see her again after that module. thought that would be the end of it but now im in her class and that modules leader isn't replying to my email asking who the tutors are (theres a discrepancy between calendar, module guide and module info ffs) just to confirm if it is her.

She sounds absolutely nuts - I'm so sorry to hear about all of this and it is not at all appropriate for her to follow you and do things the way she did - if you're wanting to do something about this, then it would be worth speaking to the student union or perhaps your personal academic tutor - you could even go further with this and report this to the person who is above the head of department, because this situation is absolutely atrocious.

As a third year student I have seen occasions where lecturers can be grumpy and a little argumentative, sometimes there can even be a bit of banter; but there has never been shouting or anything of this scale before. You did the right thing by leaving and staying vigilant, you did so well to stay calm. Speak to those whom I mentioned previously; your claims can be supported by the other students who were present and there should also be CCTV footage of this situation - it's not at all right for a student to experience this so early in the course, especially a first year student and it doesn't matter if she's new staff or whatever, she should know better - this job clearly isn't for her if she's taking a new student's feedback so personally and chasing after you all over campus.

Quick Reply

Latest