The Student Room Group

What is Accuracy and precision in an experiment

I am doing an experiment on enthalpy change of combustion and I am stuck on writing about accuracy and precision

Are these statements correct?

The top-pan scale was used to measure the mass of the spirit burner before and after it was burnt, the mass was recorded in grams to two decimal places to ensure that the recording was precise as possible as it provides a figure closer to the exact value of mass which then provides more accurate data for the calculations. For example with the mass of Methanol, the initial mass of the spirit lamp was recorded as 242.41g and the mass after burning was 241.45g. Meaning that the mass burnt was 0.96g (242.41-241.45g).

The stop watch was used to measure the water being heated over 30 second intervals, the time was recorded to the nearest second as the stop watch went up in units of 0.01s which provided very precise recordings of time that helped to determine when the 30 seconds were reached so the temperature could be taken immediately at that time. Timing was very essential to get an accurate reading of heat as the temperature is constantly rising with time, so the temperature couldn’t have been recorded accurately without the precision of the stopwatch.

The thermometer went up in units of 0.5˚C which made it very precise when recording the temperature. Meaning it could be clearly identified that the temperature was rising, the readings that were recorded also seemed accurate as there were no fluctuations or anomalies and each alcohol increased at a steady rate.
Reply 1
yeah i think you got it right
basically accuracy is how close it is to the true value- i.e. no bias or anomalies so repeat the experiment to remove random errors and get other ppl to repeat it with different apparatus to male results reproducible and remove systematic errors
precision is how many numbers you have after the decimal point

Quick Reply

Latest