The Student Room Group

Integration by substitution question?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zacken
Astute. Also, dx\mathrm{d}x instead of dxdx. :biggrin:

Still learning may way around latex, but I've made it a little more aesthetically pleasing!
Reply 21
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Still learning may way around latex, but I've made it a little more aesthetically pleasing!

You're doing great, it looks bae! :love:

Protip: to make your brackets fit around big expressions, use \left( and \right)

e.g: sin(π2)\displaystyle \sin \left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right) v/s sin(π2)\displaystyle \sin ( \frac{\pi}{2})
Reply 22
Original post by Zacken
Astute. Also, dx\mathrm{d}x instead of dxdx. :biggrin:

why?
Reply 23
Original post by TeeEm
why?

Because d isn't a variable, it's a bit of a two-camp thing, half the mathematicians hate d\mathrm{d} and the other half hate dd. Many a fight has gone on over at stack exchange. :laugh:
Reply 24
Original post by Zacken
Because d isn't a variable, it's a bit of a two-camp thing, half the mathematicians hate d\mathrm{d} and the other half hate dd. Many a fight has gone on over at stack exchange. :laugh:

I therefore belong to the full italics side.
Reply 25
Original post by Zacken
You're doing great, it looks bae! :love:

Protip: to make your brackets fit around big expressions, use \left( and \right)

e.g: sin(π2)\displaystyle \sin \left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right) v/s sin(π2)\displaystyle \sin ( \frac{\pi}{2})

Thank you. What's the best way of line breaking? I tried posting a solution on one of TeeEm's questions and it completely flopped.
Reply 26
Original post by TeeEm
I therefore belong to the full italics side.

Fair enough. :yep:

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Thank you. What's the best way of line breaking? I tried posting a solution on one of TeeEm's questions and it completely flopped.

Look up the \begin{align} and \end{align} environment here. But imo that's more work than it is worth. What I do is just:

[.tex] latex here [/.tex]

[.tex]Next line here [/.tex] etc...
Reply 27
Original post by atsruser
I can't see any significant benefit of one approach over the other, for someone who knows both.

I always encourage students to look for an algebraic/recognition approach to an integral before resorting to substitution.

Substitution is often useful but relying on it can slow you down. And I find that students' general alegbra skills improve if they learn and practice a variety of techniques.

Plus it's just nicer to do algebra :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest