The Student Room Group

Hard integration by substitution exam question

82DF5626-F01F-41E4-87C6-0772259E6C5D.jpg
I have posted my working out but I am now stuck at this point. Help needed plsD32238FF-A2E4-4FC6-9943-D4352E6D9DE5.jpg
Reply 1
You've got the right start to it. Firstly, you need to change the limits so they're in terms of theta when you're substituting.

So for where you are, you root it and multiply so the next line is integral[4cos^2(theta)], which to integrate you use the double angle identity for cos.

4cos^2(theta) = 2cos(2theta)+2, and integrate that normally and substitute your limits in terms of theta.
Reply 2
Original post by joeswag
You've got the right start to it. Firstly, you need to change the limits so they're in terms of theta when you're substituting.

So for where you are, you root it and multiply so the next line is integral[4cos^2(theta)], which to integrate you use the double angle identity for cos.

4cos^2(theta) = 2cos(2theta)+2, and integrate that normally and substitute your limits in terms of theta.

Thanks. Just one thing, I’m stuck on using the double angle formula for changing 4cos^2(theta)
Reply 3
Original post by Matheen1
Thanks. Just one thing, I’m stuck on using the double angle formula for changing 4cos^2(theta)

use the formula (one of them!) for cos(2theta) to rewrite cos^2(theta) in terms of this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest