The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
does anyone have the june 2015 papers? need them for revision
image.jpeg
Guys please help with question (ii)
The mark scheme doesn't make sense :frown: been trying to understand it but doesn't make sense
Original post by Miminfl
image.jpeg
Guys please help with question (ii)
The mark scheme doesn't make sense :frown: been trying to understand it but doesn't make sense

I haven't seen the mark scheme for this answer but I'll try to tell you how'd I go about doing it:

With solution A, there is 5x10^-3 moles of acid reacting with 2.5x10^-3 moles of NaOH therefore after the reaction has occured some acid will still remain as it is in excess. The acid will be in equilibrium with its conjugate base (ethanoate ions).

But with solution B, there is 5x10^-3 moles of acid reacting with the same amount of NaOH, therefore there would be full neutralisation due to the 1:1 quantities. There would be no acid remaining as it all would have reacted, therefore no equilibrium will exist.
Original post by ReeceM1
I haven't seen the mark scheme for this answer but I'll try to tell you how'd I go about doing it:

With solution A, there is 5x10^-3 moles of acid reacting with 2.5x10^-3 moles of NaOH therefore after the reaction has occured some acid will still remain as it is in excess. The acid will be in equilibrium with its conjugate base (ethanoate ions).

But with solution B, there is 5x10^-3 moles of acid reacting with the same amount of NaOH, therefore there would be full neutralisation due to the 1:1 quantities. There would be no acid remaining as it all would have reacted, therefore no equilibrium will exist.

Thank you, that really helped , I didn't know I had to find out the number of moles. :smile:
Original post by Hunnybeebee
In solution A, there is excess acid as there's 5x10^-4 of ethanoic acid, but there's 2.5x10^-4 of NaOH. As there is excess, there will be an equilibrium of CH3COOH, and it's conjugate base of CH3COO- (which was formed by CH3COONa).

In solution B, these is equal amount of mol of each solution, therefore they will completely react:

CH3COOH + NaOh --> CH3COONa + H2O. No equilibrium, therefore cannot be a buffer solution as it isn't a weak acid and its conjugate base.
Thank you :smile: it makes sense now
Does it mention somewhere further up in the stem of the question anything about diluting something to 1dm3 / or using 1dm3 of sewage water?

If it does then it would be x40 because only 25cm3 is used in the titration, so this would be scaled up 40x to get the values for 1dm3.

If it doesn't mention that then I'm not sure.
Ah i've seen somehting similar before in a MS, "Where did this number come from?". Funny enough it was also the number 40. Here, on this video, skip to 1 : 38 : 45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaJBbcXaFBM&index=5&list=PLbJbCQgCpBPs0IQaePXLxLvLnv9Jq3TO1

or here's another thread that answered your q:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1665699
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 208
Anyone able to explain the ozone lysis of the second one? Thank you!

image.png
Original post by AqsaMx

image.png

Sorry but I haven't even heard of ozone lysis, which board is this for??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xsashax

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its from ocr
Original post by xsashax

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not something we learn, but rather than application based question.
Reply 212
It's an OCR A application question. June 2014 paper F324 :smile:
Original post by AqsaMx

image.png

for hexa-2,4-diene, it has structural formula of CH3CHCHCHCHCH3, so CH3-CH=CH-CH=CH-CH3,

so the products would be (CH3)CH=O + O=CH-CH=O + O=CH(CH3),

as the C=C double bonds become C=O, for both carbons in the C=C double bond
Jan 2013 F325 is so bloody hard :frown:
Original post by AqsaMx
It's an OCR A application question. June 2014 paper F324 :smile:

Oh okay thanks
Really? Wow that's impressive. I have my mock next week so I guess I'll have to wait. However, seeing the statements on here and the fact that it was featured on bbc news, certainly does not excite me for it.
Original post by mil88
Really? Wow that's impressive. I have my mock next week so I guess I'll have to wait. However, seeing the statements on here and the fact that it was featured on bbc news, certainly does not excite me for it.

I sat the exam last year in the summer. I think I got around 5/7 for the working out but not the right structure. I walked out thinking that question was really hard but looking back on it like 5 minutes ago it isn't too bad.
The timing is the biggest stress. If you can nail down the rest of the paper and leave yourself with a good 15-20 minutes for NMR then you should be ok.
Original post by thad33
I sat the exam last year in the summer. I think I got around 5/7 for the working out but not the right structure. I walked out thinking that question was really hard but looking back on it like 5 minutes ago it isn't too bad.
The timing is the biggest stress. If you can nail down the rest of the paper and leave yourself with a good 15-20 minutes for NMR then you should be ok.

Fair enough, but I heard that the biggest issue was time. So I'm not sure how I'm going to have 15-20 mins left over for that question, when apparently loads of questions were application based, and thus take longer to answer?
Reply 219
atm timing is one of my biggest issue with chem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending