The Student Room Group

Help polymers

Help I get the first example with hcl but not the h2s one… how do I do this 😭
I don’t get why it’s s2- and not just a because the 2 is on the outside of bracketsIMG_2534.jpeg
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
I don’t get why it’s s2- and not just a because the 2 is on the outside of bracketsIMG_2534.jpeg

Not my exam board but I'll give it a go - so for H2S it seems that one H2S molecule protonates two MEA molecules - the remaining S2- ion forms ionic bonds with two protonated MEA molecules (each with a charge of 1+), hence forming a neutrally changed molecule (ie a salt). Sort of similar to Mg(OH)2, the 2 outside the brackets symbolises two hydroxide or MEA molecules.

Hope this helped!
Reply 2
Original post by Philipboi
Not my exam board but I'll give it a go - so for H2S it seems that one H2S molecule protonates two MEA molecules - the remaining S2- ion forms ionic bonds with two protonated MEA molecules (each with a charge of 1+), hence forming a neutrally changed molecule (ie a salt). Sort of similar to Mg(OH)2, the 2 outside the brackets symbolises two hydroxide or MEA molecules.

Hope this helped!

What’s ur exam board is it ocr a? I’m doing ocr a
Reply 3

June 2010 F324 Q5

The MS allowed the use of either HS^- or S^2- with or without the charges within the salt shown.

Normally, you would show the negative charge second, just like you do with NaCl and CaCO3, so (HO-CH2-CH2-NH3)2 S would be more natural.
Reply 4
What’s ur exam board is it ocr a? I’m doing ocr a

aqa

Quick Reply

Latest