The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Do we need to learn the monomers that make Nylon and Kevlar?
Original post by sakuraton
Well, I thought carboxylic acid can't be reduced and the mark scheme shows that carboxylic acid being reduced? I'm just confused, that is all.
I know Aldehyde and Ketone can be reduced.
I'm just gonna leave it and hope a nice paper tomorrow.

the carboxylic acid was not being reduced - it was being dehydrated which is just removal of water - the carboxyl group wasn't even affected in that reaction.
Original post by Sarcastic Goats

Nope
lol @ all of you 99% ready........idek what tms does
Original post by Sarcastic Goats

No but its known as Nylon 6,6 so 6 carbons on both the dicarboxylic acid and diamide
Original post by lai812matthew
huh? i copy it from wikipedia. that's what concerns me. definition that i know about zwitterion: An ionic form of an amino acid that contains both positively and negatively charged groups. As both charges are present there is no overall charge.

Look at all the OCR A questions involving zwitterions, with varying R groups. The R group is never affected in zwitterions (if we want to get the marks). :smile:
Original post by shamsaidk

Is the standard reference peak, is very large as all the protons are in the same environment

Standard for chemical shift measurements (quoted from spec)
Original post by tcameron
the carboxylic acid was not being reduced - it was being dehydrated which is just removal of water - the carboxyl group wasn't even affected in that reaction.

AFTER the elimination of H2O, you see the word 'reduction' O.O

TMS is the standard for all chemical shift measurements
It has a chemical shift of 0
it's structure is Silicon surrounded by 4xCH3 groups

hope that helps
Reply 1351
Original post by CalistaJupiter
They don't all protonate… I did a past paper that had a 'zwitterion' with an extra cooh side group and the mark scheme said "reject if both cooh groups are shown to have donated a proton" because only groups directly involved in being an amino acid (eg RCH(NH2)COOH) actually protonate

yh cus there are unequal number of cooh to nh2, my confusion is what if there was equal amount of both. the charge would still be neutral

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who's fasting during the exam tomorrow?

It's my first exam fasting so I'm slightly nervous!
TMS is the standard for all chemical shift measurements
It has a chemical shift of 0
it's structure is Silicon surrounded by 4xCH3 groups

hope that helps

we dont need to know of structure right?
Original post by itsConnor_
Standard for chemical shift measurements (quoted from spec)

I guess you're doing the same as me, trying to look at as much stuff on here, its all revision at the end of the day :smile: Good luck tomorrow, i think NMR will be my downfall, i struggle to imagine Benzene ring protons as their splilting patterns as they are multiplets because in essence they are all adjacent to one another, because all delocalised in the Pi system
Original post by itsConnor_
we dont need to know of structure right?

yea but in case they ask its just (CH3)4 Si.
Original post by Magicalgeofray
I guess you're doing the same as me, trying to look at as much stuff on here, its all revision at the end of the day :smile: Good luck tomorrow, i think NMR will be my downfall, i struggle to imagine Benzene ring protons as their splilting patterns as they are multiplets because in essence they are all adjacent to one another, because all delocalised in the Pi system

Thanks, you too :smile:. Done so much revision for this exam so hopefully it will go well

I'm scared of the NMR :s-smilie: my heart's going to be pounding turning to that last nmr question........
Reply 1357
there is no aldehyde formed in those set of reactions - I've done that question before - you must have went wrong somewhere

i think that it just doesnt reduce with Nabh4 but can be in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1358
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465850837.024582.jpg how h envirtoments?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am looking forward to the NMR actually but I doubt they will make it really tough because of the backlash last year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending