Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiney101)
    Is it methyl 2-methylpropanoate?
    You don't need the 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsastudentyo)
    i was just wondering if we have to learn organic chemistry for paper 1 AS level which is on the 27th may?
    Read your specification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glavien)
    Not too sure, it was made up, but how did you get that?
    Yes that's right. It's an ester and the group from the carboxilic acid has a methyl group on the 2nd carbon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9307914)
    Yes that's right. It's an ester and the group from the carboxilic acid has a methyl group on the 2nd carbon.
    Nope. The 2 is redundant.

You don't call ethanol "ethan-1-ol" do you?

ReputationRep:
    Is doing every past paper multiple times a bad idea or not?
    I've currently done 7 past papers so far in chronological order for my Chemistry Unit 1 resit, and I've only done them once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    Is doing every past paper multiple times a bad idea or not?
    I've currently done 7 past papers so far in chronological order for my Chemistry Unit 1 resit, and I've only done them once.
    Yep it's a good idea, hopefully you should see progress every time you repeat the paper (keep a tab on what marks you get).
    Highlight the ones your unsure about and focus on them.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone here help someone who is hopeless at chemistry?

I got a C in a chemistry mock I did 2 months ago,and since then I'd worked so hard, I've been memorising the content and practising past paper questions and multiple choice questions but I did the specimen mock last week and I got a D!

Am I just not good at chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Nope. The 2 is redundant.

You don't call ethanol "ethan-1-ol" do you?
    Yes, sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)

I got a C in a chemistry mock I did 2 months ago,and since then I'd worked so hard, I've been memorising the content and practising past paper questions and multiple choice questions but I did the specimen mock last week and I got a D!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not so! Specimens are crap tbh, real pprs are not like those so don't worry and keep working hard, revise past papers the night before exams and read your revision guide a week before exams.
    The best way to do past paper is that whenever you get stuck on a question, leave it over there and open your book and read the topic thoroughly and then answer your question!
    Trust me you'll learn much faster than you expect! x)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got a U in my Chemistry AS Mock. Partly because I didnt put the time into understanding chemistry and was lazy when it came to revision.
    Thought Chemistry wasnt cut out for me.

Ended up getting an A* in Chemistry at Alevel.
    Now studying it at a very well respected University, in my 2nd year and I'm on a solid first. On track to do my PhD (hopefully)

If you work hard and put the time in you will surprise yourself.
    However putting the time in is key, you must put the hours in otherwise you'll be disappointed when it comes to results day.

Good luck with everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science_help)
    Lets see who gets this right.
    No using google or textbook btw.

What temperature does diamond melt at ? nearest 100
    3700 I think

I think it's vapourised at 4800

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimen.)
    It's not so! Specimens are crap tbh, real pprs are not like those so don't worry and keep working hard, revise past papers the night before exams and read your revision guide a week before exams.
    The best way to do past paper is that whenever you get stuck on a question, leave it over there and open your book and read the topic thoroughly and then answer your question!
    Trust me you'll learn much faster than you expect! x)
    So I've been told but getting a D isn't doing much for my confidence, my grades have plummeted recently and chemistry was the last straw because I had genuinely worked hard for it unlike my other subjects and I still failed

And that's actually a great idea! I never thought to do that, will be doing that later on this week

Thanks!

(Original post by Cobalt_)
    I got a U in my Chemistry AS Mock. Partly because I didnt put the time into understanding chemistry and was lazy when it came to revision.
    Thought Chemistry wasnt cut out for me.

Ended up getting an A* in Chemistry at Alevel.
    Now studying it at a very well respected University, in my 2nd year and I'm on a solid first. On track to do my PhD (hopefully)

If you work hard and put the time in you will surprise yourself.
    However putting the time in is key, you must put the hours in otherwise you'll be disappointed when it comes to results day.

Good luck with everything.
    Wow, I would never have thought that. I get what you mean about needing to put in the hours but I'm really struggling to balance my time because I'm currently putting in all my hours for my history and maths exams this week and it will be the same next week.

Thank you! Although I've lost all faith in myself by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In a question it asks 'suggest a suitable temperature range over which to collect the ester'. in the data the boiling temperature of the ester is given as 142C. Heres what the markscheme says:

Name:  IMG_20160517_023013.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  132.7 KB i am confused what to write as the answer. Should 140-144c be ok? Or should i write both start and end as a range like exactly written in the markscheme . i am also unsure what they mean by reject 'single temperature'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiracleLeaf)
    Yes, sometimes...
    Well that's incorrect. The whole point of naming a compound is to unambiguously express what its structure is in the most concise form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebrahmabull)
    In a question it asks 'suggest a suitable temperature range over which to collect the ester'. in the data the boiling temperature of the ester is given as 142C. Heres what the markscheme says:

Name:  IMG_20160517_023013.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  132.7 KB i am confused what to write as the answer. Should 140-144c be ok? Or should i write both start and end as a range like exactly written in the markscheme . i am also unsure what they mean by reject 'single temperature'
    Before purification, the product was less pure, so the boiling temperature will be lower by maximum 10 degrees sk from 185 to 201

And after purification, the product is purer so the boiling temperature will be higher and lower than the sharp b.p by max 2 degrees so from 199-201

By single temperatures, he means, don't pit likr 185 put a range e.g from 185 to 201
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got the F324 / F325 OCR Chemistry past papers/MS from June 2015? If so, could you please send them?
    Thanks in return

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me work out the splitting pattern for 2,3 dichlorobutane?

It says that it should be one quartet and one doublet...Can someone please explain this.
    I understand that there will only be two splitting patterns since there are only two different environments, but I don't get how to work out the patterns.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have ocr 2015 f324
    Will swap for Ocr f325 paper 😀😀😀😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pm me with ocr f325 paper
    Please send it and hopefully you will get an a* !!
    Please

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got the June 2015 AQA unit 4 and unit 5 papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 22, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.