The Student Room Group

using double angle formulas for integration

Hi guys
I'm trying to integrate sin^2x dx using cos double angle formula but i keep getting wrong answers that what the text book says can you please see my working and help me if I'm wrong anywhere in it
Reply 1
Original post by Alen.m
Hi guys
I'm trying to integrate sin^2x dx using cos double angle formula but i keep getting wrong answers that what the text book says can you please see my working and help me if I'm wrong anywhere in it

cos(2x) divided by -2 is not -cos(x), it is (-1/2)cos(2x), you cannot cancel the 2 in the 2x by dividing by 2.
Reply 2
Original post by PLM98
cos(2x) divided by -2 is not -cos(x), it is (-1/2)cos(2x), you cannot cancel the 2 in the 2x by dividing by 2.

Does that mean you cant write cos(2x)=2cos(x) and 2cos(x)/ -2 will give you -cos(x) ?
Reply 3
am I too late?
Original post by Alen.m
Does that mean you cant write cos(2x)=2cos(x) and 2cos(x)/ -2 will give you -cos(x) ?

No
Original post by Alen.m

remember doing transformations of graphs in Core 1 or Core 2 (i cant remember which)

If you have f(x) \displaystyle f(x) then f(ax) \displaystyle f(ax) is a horizontal scalar eg f(2x) \displaystyle f(2x) is f(x) \displaystyle f(x) "squeezed" into half its original width?

and af(x) \displaystyle af(x) is a vertical scalar eg 2f(x) \displaystyle 2f(x) "stretches" the graph into 2 times its original height?

so you can clearly say that f(2x)2f(x) \displaystyle f(2x) \neq 2f(x) (almost all the time)

so therefore cos(2x)2cos(x) \displaystyle cos(2x) \neq 2cos(x)
Reply 6
Original post by DylanJ42
remember doing transformations of graphs in Core 1 or Core 2 (i cant remember which)

If you have f(x) \displaystyle f(x) then f(ax) \displaystyle f(ax) is a horizontal scalar eg f(2x) \displaystyle f(2x) is f(x) \displaystyle f(x) "squeezed" into half its original width?

and af(x) \displaystyle af(x) is a vertical scalar eg 2f(x) \displaystyle 2f(x) "stretches" the graph into 2 times its original height?

so you can clearly say that f(2x)2f(x) \displaystyle f(2x) \neq 2f(x) (almost all the time)

so therefore cos(2x)2cos(x) \displaystyle cos(2x) \neq 2cos(x)

Got it now, thanks for the explanation
don't forget to use Radions
Reply 8
Original post by the bear
don't forget to use Radions

Dosent make any difference here does it? As question itself dosent have any radians involves
Original post by Alen.m
Dosent make any difference here does it? As question itself dosent have any radians involves

i think he means in general, definite integrals involving trig are done in radians
Reply 10
Original post by DylanJ42
i think he means in general, definite integrals involving trig are done in radians

True

Quick Reply

Latest