The Student Room Group

A Level Maths Integration

Not really sure what to do with the 6cos^2(4x) on this. I tried what I thought was reversing the chain rule, but I didn't seem to make much progress :confused: Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 23.54.12.png
Reply 1
Original post by cloudii
Not really sure what to do with the 6cos^2(4x) on this. I tried what I thought was reversing the chain rule, but I didn't seem to make much progress :confused: Any help would be appreciated :smile:

The limits seem to be hinting towards a trig(8x)?
Original post by cloudii

Hint: use the double angle identity
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
The limits seem to be hinting towards a trig(8x)?

I'm obviously missing something, do you think you could explain why it would be a trig(8x)? Is it something to do with a trig identity?
Reply 4
Original post by cloudii
I'm obviously missing something, do you think you could explain why it would be a trig(8x)? Is it something to do with a trig identity?

Double angle converts a squared term to a single trig term.

There are a few ways you could go, even IBP, but a double angle is probably the simplest.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by cloudii

you could use the double angle cos(8x) = cos(4x + 4x) = 2cos2(4x) -1
idk why everyone is being so cryptic when responding to you lmao
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Ah okay, I think I've got it now, thank you for your help everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest