Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1457958930241-1542586955.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  210.4 KB for this question I can only solve what r is by resolving f which is asked in the second part of the question. How do you do a) without knowing what f is. The mark scheme suggests that rcos15 =4g but why isn't it 4g cos15 . Also how do you know the angle between r is 15? Alternate angle?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
Size:  210.4 KB for this question I can only solve what r is by resolving f which is asked in the second part of the question. How do you do a) without knowing what f is. The mark scheme suggests that rcos15 =4g but why isn't it 4g cos15 . Also how do you know the angle between r is 15? Alternate angle?

Thanks.
    You can get rid of F by resolving vertically - since it is a purely horizontal force, it vanishes if you resolve vertically. If you draw a big diagram and label your angles, you should be able to find the angle between the reaction and the vertical - remember that the weight is vertical so there's no need to resolve really there.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    you have some forces resolved horizontally and vertically and some parallel to the plane and perpendicular to the plane

ReputationRep:
    It is not 4gcos(15) because there is a vertical force component, Fsin(15), to consider as well.

The mark scheme has resolved vertically and horizontally to the particle, this is a bit tidier because it means there is no horizontal force component to consider at this stage, you are resolving perpendicular and parallel to the plane, which is fine, but the mark scheme has gone for the former approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You can get rid of F by resolving vertically - since it is a purely horizontal force, it vanishes if you resolve vertically. If you draw a big diagram and label your angles, you should be able to find the angle between the reaction and the vertical - remember that the weight is vertical so there's no need to resolve really there.
    How? F will also be acting upward as well. Please could you upload a diagram or working ? I don't really get it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    How? F will also be acting upward as well. Please could you upload a diagram or working ? I don't really get it. Thanks.
    F is purely horizontal, horizontal and vertical are two independent components, so F does not act vertically at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    F is purely horizontal, horizontal and vertical are two independent components, so F does not act vertically at all.
    Ohhh i get it ! But how do you know that the angle next to r is 15 degrees as well ?

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh i get it ! But how do you know that the angle next to r is 15 degrees as well ?
    Draw a diagram, remember that the angle between parallel and perpendicular is 90^{\circ} and that the angle between vertical and horizontal is 90^{\circ} and you know that the angle between the perpendicular and vertical is 15^{\circ}.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.