The Student Room Group

Urgent Isaac physics help !!

Ive been stuck on this question for an hour. I userstand moments but I don't seem to get this question

A force of 10N to the right is 2.3m to the right of the axle, and a force of 0.20N upwards is 0.34m to the right of the axle. What is the moment ?

Can anybody help me??
Original post by twopoundcoin
Ive been stuck on this question for an hour. I userstand moments but I don't seem to get this question

A force of 10N to the right is 2.3m to the right of the axle, and a force of 0.20N upwards is 0.34m to the right of the axle. What is the moment ?

Can anybody help me??

I can understand why you are struggling. It is not clear if the force of 10N is upward or downward.

If 10 N-force is upward, the diagram would be

TSR_Isaac_physics_moment_01.JPG

If 10 N-force is downward, the diagram would be
TSR_Isaac_physics_moment_02.JPG

As you mentioned you have understood the moment, the two diagrams should allow you to solve the question.
Reply 2
I think you copied the question out incorrectly. A photo or pdf is always a help.
Edit: See later answer as the diagrams above appear to be incorrect.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
The question is right (D), its just the first force has zero moment.
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/gcse_ch2_16_q6?stage=all
Reply 4
Well in that case, surely neither of the diagrams offered above is correct and the point of the question is that the force (pointing to) to the right of the axle provides no moment. (as you point out). I worked on the assumption that the answer with the diagrams was correct.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Eimmanuel
I can understand why you are struggling. It is not clear if the force of 10N is upward or downward.

If 10 N-force is upward, the diagram would be

TSR_Isaac_physics_moment_01.JPG

If 10 N-force is downward, the diagram would be
TSR_Isaac_physics_moment_02.JPG

As you mentioned you have understood the moment, the two diagrams should allow you to solve the question.

Original post by twopoundcoin

Can anybody help me??

As someone has posted the link to your problem and the hint has shown the forces.
My interpretation of the problem is contrary to the intention of the problem.
I would still leave the post unedit :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest