The Student Room Group

Depth of Physics help!

Hi there. Honestly I'm really sucky at this area of physics and I'm doing revision. Can someone help me with this question? Have I gone the right way about it?

Thanks in advance
Scan0005.jpg
Reply 1
Original post by TobyReichelt
Hi there. Honestly I'm really sucky at this area of physics and I'm doing revision. Can someone help me with this question? Have I gone the right way about it?

Thanks in advance
Scan0005.jpg

Just wondering, were you given any other data in the first part of the question, such as the mass of the swimmer?
Original post by ombtom
Just wondering, were you given any other data in the first part of the question, such as the mass of the swimmer?

Yes, mass 65kg, weight 640N, carried vertically upwards from the sea by a cable of negligible mass compared to the swimmer.

The tension T in the cable from the time that she leaves the water at t=0 until t=1.5s is 670N. At t=1.5s T reduces and remains constant at 640N
Reply 3
Original post by TobyReichelt
Yes, mass 65kg, weight 640N, carried vertically upwards from the sea by a cable of negligible mass compared to the swimmer.

The tension T in the cable from the time that she leaves the water at t=0 until t=1.5s is 670N. At t=1.5s T reduces and remains constant at 640N

You could try using P = Fv, where F is the weight of the swimmer. This will give you the useful power. Divide this by the power provided by the motor to give the efficiency as a decimal. Multiplying by 100 would give you a percentage.

Note that efficiency doesn't have any units, since it is a ratio. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest