The Student Room Group

mindmaps for revision

hi I was wondering if anyone can give me good revision methods as I have a bio and physics test coming up. are mind maps helpful and what method gets u grade 9
Original post by Hellopeople!
hi I was wondering if anyone can give me good revision methods as I have a bio and physics test coming up. are mind maps helpful and what method gets u grade 9

Hi from a fellow student aiming for 9s. I like to make mindmaps, and go through them as much as I can. Additionally, I will do past papers to test knowledge and get to grip with exam techniques
Reply 2
Original post by FrenchFencer
Hi from a fellow student aiming for 9s. I like to make mindmaps, and go through them as much as I can. Additionally, I will do past papers to test knowledge and get to grip with exam techniques

thank you so much do u have any websites and stuff for revision
Original post by Hellopeople!

Hi @Hellopeople!,

Mind maps can be a useful revision tool, helps you visualise topics you need to cover and allows room for any diagrams that are relevant to the topic. However, in my experience I've found that mind maps can be limiting with how much I write- and I tend to oversimplify by bullet points which didn't really help me.

As Biology tends to be one of those 'memorisation' subjects, I found that flashcards worked for me best. I would look at past papers, and search for those big 5-9 mark questions and have those written down. The question on one side, and the mark scheme on the other side. This was really helpful as it structured the answer in a sensible manner, and already has the key points and keywords that would get you the mark. Using flashcards for definitions helped me drill it into my brain more too! If you find certain biological processes or sequences difficult to remember, you can try create a mnemonic that would help you.

Physics wasn't really my cup of tea but when it came to calculations, I typically did a bunch of past paper questions and practiced the maths that way as that was my area that needed improvement.

If you more in-depth and coherent revision tips, we talk about it more here: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/exams-and-revision?utm_source=TSR&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=annual_profiles_117204&utm_content=examsandrevision

All the best with your exams!
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 4
Thank you so much danish, this is so helpful

Quick Reply

Latest