The Student Room Group

AS physics??

Hi there
essentially, I know I'm going to do neuroscience at uni, so this summer I've done a neuroscience course online for fun, and I noticed there is quite a lot of physics involved when talking about neurons and their potential, etc.
I thought for my A levels (I'm going into y11) I was going to take bio chem and psych with either an epq or a CREST, but now I'm considering doing AS physics. The thing is, I am not the most numerically minded person (aiming for a 7-8 on my gcse, but thats kinda pushing it) and I know there is a LOT of maths in physics, so would it be worth it??

Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by TrulyDevious1590
Hi there
essentially, I know I'm going to do neuroscience at uni, so this summer I've done a neuroscience course online for fun, and I noticed there is quite a lot of physics involved when talking about neurons and their potential, etc.
I thought for my A levels (I'm going into y11) I was going to take bio chem and psych with either an epq or a CREST, but now I'm considering doing AS physics. The thing is, I am not the most numerically minded person (aiming for a 7-8 on my gcse, but thats kinda pushing it) and I know there is a LOT of maths in physics, so would it be worth it??

Thanks so much :smile:

Considering ik people who didn't take maths and did physics, granted they struggled a bit, I don't think the maths in physics is very hard. I'm not saying its easy, there just isnt a lot to know. From what I can remember most of it was rearranging equations, mechanics and bit of logs/indices. Although, it still isn't an easy subject. You don't learn anything in depth for a level physics and personally I didn't find it that interesting. It's highly likely that if there is physics in your neuroscience degree it will be taught to you / there won't be a lot, as most of people wouldn't have done physics. If your interested go for it. I'm just trying to warn you bc we had a lot of people drop out.
Original post by JaCey04
Considering ik people who didn't take maths and did physics, granted they struggled a bit, I don't think the maths in physics is very hard. I'm not saying its easy, there just isnt a lot to know. From what I can remember most of it was rearranging equations, mechanics and bit of logs/indices. Although, it still isn't an easy subject. You don't learn anything in depth for a level physics and personally I didn't find it that interesting. It's highly likely that if there is physics in your neuroscience degree it will be taught to you / there won't be a lot, as most of people wouldn't have done physics. If your interested go for it. I'm just trying to warn you bc we had a lot of people drop out.

Thank you- this was actually very helpful! I'll probably look over the syllabus and maybe talk to my physics teacher before I decide, but I'm glad to know that its not vital to know about for neuroscience.
Reply 3
Biology and Chemistry should get you into pretty much all Neuroscience courses. Some universities will like Mathematics as well but it’s normally not required. When it comes to physics, in my opinion you shouldn’t do it unless you need it. The exams are very hard, a lot of the topics are just long and tedious, and if you’re not doing maths it will be a bit harder. The maths itself is not tricky, the hardest thing you’ll come across is probably logarithms but a lot of questions will be maths based especially in the mechanics topic. I would stick with what you’re doing and wouldn’t worry about it, they will teach you the physics you need on the course itself.
Original post by Bo77 Tman
Biology and Chemistry should get you into pretty much all Neuroscience courses. Some universities will like Mathematics as well but it’s normally not required. When it comes to physics, in my opinion you shouldn’t do it unless you need it. The exams are very hard, a lot of the topics are just long and tedious, and if you’re not doing maths it will be a bit harder. The maths itself is not tricky, the hardest thing you’ll come across is probably logarithms but a lot of questions will be maths based especially in the mechanics topic. I would stick with what you’re doing and wouldn’t worry about it, they will teach you the physics you need on the course itself.

Thanks so much! I definitely feel much better knowing that I can stick to the subjects I know I can do well in.

Quick Reply

Latest