The Student Room Group

Stationary wave definition

A stationary wave is the superposition of two progressive waves with the same frequency and wavelength travelling in opposite directions.
Is this a correct definition of stationary waves?
Reply 1
Original post by ntada99
A stationary wave is the superposition of two progressive waves with the same frequency and wavelength travelling in opposite directions.
Is this a correct definition of stationary waves?

Yes, and also the same amplitude. You don't need to say "same frequency and wavelength" because they are directly proportional so just say same frequency and amplitude.
:smile:
Reply 2
I thought it was enought to just say "a wave which traps energy between two points (has nodes and antinodes)"

Im doing OCR btw so Im not sure if its different for your exam board - if its not OCR.
Reply 3
Original post by voltz
I thought it was enought to just say "a wave which traps energy between two points (has nodes and antinodes)"

Im doing OCR btw so Im not sure if its different for your exam board - if its not OCR.

I think it's AQA and if it is then I think that definition wouldn't get the marks.
Reply 4
I would define a stationary wave as one which has points with zero discplacement (nodes) that do not change with time.

The fact that these can be formed by the superposition of two oppositely travelling waves with equal frequnecies and wavelengths is somewhat incidental, I think. Check the AQA spec though.

Quick Reply

Latest