The Student Room Group

A level Physics Help

According to Edexcel A levels,Wave is a medium of transferring energy.I have no problem with this definition.
But my question is,is wave a disturbance of a quantity,or is it just a distinct physical entity?
Ok so your wording is a little confusing for me, but I think I understand.

It's different for different types of waves. in sound waves the actual particles in the medium oscillate (but average position stays the same) and the energy is passed through them. waves in water or a slinky are similar in that way.
EM waves are different as far as im aware as they can travel through vacuums (and therefore at least dont need to oscillate particles - they may do as a side effect).

Im not sure if this answers your question but i hope it helps at least
Original post by Anlasan
According to Edexcel A levels,Wave is a medium of transferring energy.I have no problem with this definition.
But my question is,is wave a disturbance of a quantity,or is it just a distinct physical entity?

EM waves (Transverse waves) are an entity, they self-propagate through space.
Sound waves (Longitudinal waves) require a medium, so they are a synchronised disturbance of some medium like air.
Reply 3
Original post by Ignorabimus
EM waves (Transverse waves) are an entity, they self-propagate through space.
Sound waves (Longitudinal waves) require a medium, so they are a synchronised disturbance of some medium like air.

Thanks for the clearing my confusion!

Quick Reply

Latest