The Student Room Group

What to pack for uni? Regrets?

Hi everyone!
Thinking back to my first year at uni, I definitely packed so many things that I didn't need to - e.g. an excessive amount of stationery when I ended up taking notes digitally!

What's one thing that you wish you hadn't packed for uni? Either because you never used it or because it took up way too much space?
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi everyone!
Thinking back to my first year at uni, I definitely packed so many things that I didn't need to - e.g. an excessive amount of stationery when I ended up taking notes digitally!

What's one thing that you wish you hadn't packed for uni? Either because you never used it or because it took up way too much space?

Hi!

I understand what you mean, as I have bought a whole printer!!
And during my time at university I have never had a necessity to print anything. Even if I did, I would do it in library for 5 pence :colonhash:

So my advice is - DO NOT BUY PRINTERS :biggrin:

- Ilya :rolleyes:
Hi @StudentRoost Rep,

Great question!

I definitely packed way too many decorative items from home, and I had no where to put them! I also packed a lot of stationary that never came out of it's bag, as I took most of my notes digitally.

My advice is to look at what your room/university will already have (e.g., a shared kitchen with a kettle and microwave; printers in the library), and think really carefully about what you definitely will use.

Isabella
Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!

Great question that would definitely help incoming students at the university!
I didn't get to pack much unfortunately as I am an international student, but I did buy an excessive amount of useless stuff in my first year.
One of which would be an instant pot and an airfryer. Although both are super useful and make cooking a lot less painful as a university student, but I just ended up not using either because I would either just eat out with my friends or I did not have the patience to wait for the food to cook in those haha. I mostly just ended up using the kitchen provided oven or just pan fry my food xd.

Had to throw both out because I could not bring everything back with me :frown:

Good luck to incoming students and be careful about what stuff you bring with yourself initially!!!

Vyomika (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Nothing.

Maybe decorations (even if it was only 2 if I had to think of something as I didn't care about having decorations in my room).
Hi everyone!

Hello,
The main things for me is stationary which I haven't used due to using my laptop and also making use of the library! subject specific books can be expensive and it saves you alot of money and space if you pick it up in the uni library. Some books are ideal to have your own copy but not all, make use of e-books and library copies! :smile:

Sophie
WrexhamUniReps
Hi everyone!

Hey!

For me, I bought the textbooks before going to uni. I could have saved so much money though by just accessing them through the library and online. Would have saved so much money!

Kat
Hi everyone!

I wish that I hadn't bought so many decorative items for my room very early on. I ended up collecting lots of items throughout the year and my shelves looked a bit cluttered. Another thing is textbooks! Although this isn't exactly room related, I regret spending hundreds of pounds on textbooks that i barely used. Most chapters and readings were uploaded by lecturers or easily accessed through the library.

Best of luck to anyone starting uni in September!

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Hi everyone!

Hello everyone,

Such an important question, and definitely something to think about!

When I was a student, I brought with me a new desk lamp only to find that my room already came with one! Its definitely worth checking up online what your room will come with - and if you're unsure then getting in touch with the accommodation team.

I also packed 3 bags of groceries. Whilst I definitely needed to bring the staples/essentials - i.e. pasta, rice, coffee, tins of tomatoes and dried herbs - a lot of the fresh stuff I could have bought in one of the supermarkets in town when I arrived or as part of a flat online delivery, rather than taking it all the way from home to uni!

One thing I wish I had packed was a pair of flip-flops. If you're in non-ensuite accommodation and have to share a shower and bathroom this could make it more comfortable, mean you're less likely to slip over and is also more hygienic :smile:

Hope that helps - best of luck folks!

Holly
University of Bath
Before starting uni, I went through different cookbooks photographing recipes that I thought I might need, but even though I did this, I still took up a thick cookbook as a backup : (

I didn't refer to the cookbook, so it was an unnecessary weight!

There were also other books related to hobbies that I didn't use, so I would definitely say avoid taking up unnecessary books, especially if they are thick!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 10
Hi everyone!

Really good question,

I remember when I packed, I bought too many kitchen pans and pots. I have no idea why I bought a whole chicken roast pan, idk what happened to it, but never ended up using it :biggrin:. Mainly one used one pan for making breakfast
Reply 11
Don't pack regrets!
Things I regretted taking:
So many pans: I massively underestimated how much I would end up eating chicken nuggets, oven chips or pizza (or toast). Could have done without a single saucepan (cooking for 1? Put it in a mug in the microwave instead) and taken a tiny egg size frying pan but needed more baking sheets.

Likewise good plates/cutlery/mugs/bowls: Personally I’d have been better off with paper plates.

A bank account with the on campus bank instead of the one with the best overdraft deal.
My TV (this was a long time ago): the signal with an internal aerial was dreadful.

My bike: I just didn’t use it. Got the bus instead because it was more sociable and most of term time is in winter!

A tin opener: why I thought I would eat soup at university when I hated it at home I don’t know.

Things I wish I had taken:
A printer: printing at my university was 10p a sheet for b&w or 50p for colour. I draft/revise best from paper copies and my degree involved a lot of colour diagrams/maps that were illegible in b&w. A 20 page research paper cost more than a meal to print even cramming it into 2 pages per sheet. A cheap printer in 2nd and 3rd year saved me a lot of money and stress.

Decorative stuff: specifically a nice blanket/throw and some fairylight/peg things to hang photos on. My room didn’t even have a bedside table.

A spare set of sheets (including 2 or 3 spare bottom sheets): one set makes changing bedding a pain because you have to wash/dry and replace them all in one go.

A double duvet: even on a single bed it’s worth it!

A laundry basket/bag: to keep dirty laundry together until I had a full load of washing and the time/energy to get it sorted.

More knives, forks and spoons: they disappear!

An umbrella.
There's nothing I really regret packing fortunately, since I've always been a minimalist; but I will say, I highly advise doing an online grocery shop timed to arrive the evening you move in; that way you have the morning to move your belongings in and settle in properly, and don't have to worry about trekking out for food, because it'll come to you! It meant I wasn't worried about stocking up on all the essentials like cleaning and hygiene supplies either, because I could order the larger size of everything since I wasn't having to walk to and from the shops with it!
Hi everyone!

Hi @StudentRoost Rep

I notice someone has already said printer, but I wanted to say it again - don't bring a printer!! It cost me more to buy the paper than it would have cost me to print at uni haha

Also, I bought lots of folders and notebooks that I never used. I found that you don't know what stationary or storage you will need until you start uni. I bought folders for my notes and ended up typing everything and creating folders on my laptop, so I wasted lots of space and money there.

Abbie :smile:
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @StudentRoost Rep

I notice someone has already said printer, but I wanted to say it again - don't bring a printer!! It cost me more to buy the paper than it would have cost me to print at uni haha

Also, I bought lots of folders and notebooks that I never used. I found that you don't know what stationary or storage you will need until you start uni. I bought folders for my notes and ended up typing everything and creating folders on my laptop, so I wasted lots of space and money there.

Abbie :smile:

You bought paper? You didn't just take paper from the printers and photocopiers at university?
Original post by PQ
You bought paper? You didn't just take paper from the printers and photocopiers at university?

That would have been smarter!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending