The Student Room Group

I want to sit a-level maths exam without taking the course

I am currently studying BTEC Level 3 Business Extended Diploma. I have one more year to go and then I will start university. Even though my predicted grade is a D*D*D, I want to get into a university such as LSE and I cannot get in without an a-level in maths. For this reason, I want to self study for the exam and partake in it, which will hopefully mean i can get into a good university if i get a good grade. I have never really struggled in school work, however, i took the wrong route (BTEC). Now, I have heard that some a-level maths exams require courseworks, meaning I cannot do these as I will not be taking any courses. Which a-level maths exams can I sit without taking the courses?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mrmrm123
I am currently studying BTEC Level 3 Business Extended Diploma. I have one more year to go and then I will start university. Even though my predicted grade is a D*D*D, I want to get into a university such as LSE and I cannot get in without an a-level in maths. For this reason, I want to self study for the exam and partake in it, which will hopefully mean i can get into a good university if i get a good grade. I have never really struggled in school work, however, i took the wrong route (BTEC). Now, I have heard that some a-level maths exams require courseworks, meaning I cannot do these as I will not be taking any courses. Which a-level maths exams can I sit without taking the courses?

You can sit any examiner except the OCR-MEI syllabus that has a coursework element for the C3 unit. If your college will allow you to sit the exams as a private candidate then follow the specification they use. If not then find a centre for your exams and follow the specification they can offer you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrmrm123

Pretty sure no A level math courses require coursework? Unless you're referring to AS maths, to which my knowledge is limited.
Reply 3
I never did coursework doing Edexcel Maths
LSE requires you to be come in with strong academic subjects. The following list is published on their website of what subjects make an applicant less competitive... It appears Business studies is included. Maybe looking at doing subjects from the preferred subject list, if LSE is your main goal?

List of common non-preferred subjects:
Any Applied A levelAccountingArt and DesignBusiness StudiesCitizenship StudiesCommunication and CultureCreative WritingDesign and TechnologyDrama/Theatre StudiesFilm StudiesHealth and Social CareHome EconomicsInformation and Communication TechnologyLawLeisure StudiesMedia StudiesMusic TechnologyPhysical Education/Sports studiesTravel and Tourism

List of common traditional academic/”generally preferred” subjects:
Ancient HistoryBiologyClassical CivilisationChemistryComputingEconomicsEnglish (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)Further Mathematics*GeographyGovernment and PoliticsHistoryLanguages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**MathematicsMusicPhilosophyPhysicsPsychologyReligious StudiesSociology
Original post by computationchive
LSE requires you to be come in with strong academic subjects. The following list is published on their website of what subjects make an applicant less competitive... It appears Business studies is included. Maybe looking at doing subjects from the preferred subject list, if LSE is your main goal?

Any Applied A levelAccountingArt and DesignBusiness StudiesCitizenship StudiesCommunication and CultureCreative WritingDesign and TechnologyDrama/Theatre StudiesFilm StudiesHealth and Social CareHome EconomicsInformation and Communication TechnologyLawLeisure StudiesMedia StudiesMusic TechnologyPhysical Education/Sports studiesTravel and Tourism

Ancient HistoryBiologyClassical CivilisationChemistryComputingEconomicsEnglish (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)Further Mathematics*GeographyGovernment and PoliticsHistoryLanguages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**MathematicsMusicPhilosophyPhysicsPsychologyReligious StudiesSociology

This is for A-level subjects. OP is not doing A-levels.

From LSE website:

'BTEC Level 3 qualifications (BTEC Nationals) are looked at on an individual basis for admission to LSE.

If you are studying for a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma you may be considered for entry without additional qualifications, especially if there are strong links between your BTEC subject and your intended degree programme. For example, you may have studied aspects of sociology, psychology, social policy or criminal justice as part of a BTEC in Health and Social Care or Public Services.

If you are offering the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma without any A Levels, or only offering one A Level with any BTEC qualification, you may be invited to sit the Undergraduate Admissions Assessment (UGAA) as part of the admissions process in order to provide evidence of your skills under exam conditions.'

Look out OP, because it also says:

'We require all BTEC qualifications to be completed with a Distinction* profile. For example the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Distinction* Distinction* Distinction* or a BTEC Level 3 90 Credit Diploma at Distinction* Distinction*. '

ANYWAY!

This is not an LSE thread. OP only gave an example of a university he might be interested in. TSR loves to pounce on people they think they are wrong for tiny details and completely ignore the question.

OP, go with one of the main boards (Edexcel, OCR, AQA) and you won't have to worry about coursework. Maths is one of the easiest subjects to self-study.
Original post by computationchive

From LSE website:

'BTEC Level 3 qualifications (BTEC Nationals) are looked at on an individual basis for admission to LSE.

If you are studying for a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma you may be considered for entry without additional qualifications, especially if there are strong links between your BTEC subject and your intended degree programme. For example, you may have studied aspects of sociology, psychology, social policy or criminal justice as part of a BTEC in Health and Social Care or Public Services.

If you are offering the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma without any A Levels, or only offering one A Level with any BTEC qualification, you may be invited to sit the Undergraduate Admissions Assessment (UGAA) as part of the admissions process in order to provide evidence of your skills under exam conditions.'

'We require all BTEC qualifications to be completed with a Distinction* profile. For example the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Distinction* Distinction* Distinction* or a BTEC Level 3 90 Credit Diploma at Distinction* Distinction*. '

ANYWAY!

This is not an LSE thread. OP only gave an example of a university he might be interested in. TSR loves to pounce on people they think they are wrong for tiny details and completely ignore the question.

OP, go with one of the main boards (Edexcel, OCR, AQA) and you won't have to worry about coursework. Maths is one of the easiest subjects to self-study.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

From LSE website:

ANYWAY!

Yes, OP is not doing A-levels however Business is a subject which is less preferable (whether studying it as an A-level or BTEC). I was not at all 'pouncing or completely ignoring the question', I was simply highlighting to OP that his/her application may be slightly less competitive due to these factors. Therefore meaning self-studying A-level Mathematics would be a great way to boost the application! However, doing the whole 2 years in one would be very demanding in terms of time (that would 6 exams if it was my exam board) - so be prepared and have a schedule OP.

Good luck!
The only maths A-level which includes coursework is OCR MEI, normal OCR and all other boards are fine. If your school/college offers A level maths I'd advise doing the exam board they do, so teachers can easily help you if you need it. If not I'd recommend edexcel as the the textbooks they do are great- lots of examples covering every question type and pages of exam questions. I found self teaching some of their modules quite straightforwards.

My top tips for self teaching maths are to set up some kind of schedule for when you want to be finished each unit (I'd recommend completely finishing teaching by the Easter before the exams) and to do all the exercises in the textbook. Exercises sometimes start with really easy questions which can be skipped but you need to be doing most questions from all exercises- that's the best way to get good at it.

Doing a whole A-level in one year is quite ambitious. Since A levels usually take two years think of it as equivalent in terms of workload to doing maths and further maths. I don't know how much spare time a BTEC leaves you but you might want to consider doing just an AS, or going to uni a year later. I'd email any universities you're interested in to explain your circumstances and ask about the least amount of maths they require.
/close

Quick Reply