The Student Room Group

Maths for Oxford PPE

Hi everyone,
I’m wondering if AS level maths would suffice for PPE at Oxford. If I don’t have A2 level maths, would it disadvantage my application severely?
Would it be a good idea to put A2 level on my application too, although I will have to self study it and won’t have a predicted grade?
Many thanks!
Original post by Blacknwhite524
Hi everyone,
I’m wondering if AS level maths would suffice for PPE at Oxford. If I don’t have A2 level maths, would it disadvantage my application severely?
Would it be a good idea to put A2 level on my application too, although I will have to self study it and won’t have a predicted grade?
Many thanks!

Historically I think 90-95%+ have A-level Maths or equivalent for PPE at Oxford. AS might be better than nothing but I think realistically without A-level Maths you are at a disadvantage for any course involving economics at "top" universities. This is because economics is necessarily mathematical at degree level. If you want to apply to PPE at Oxford you should realistically be aiming to do A-level Maths. I suspect the very small number who do not have A-level Maths or equivalent probably have specific circumstances such that they were unable to take A-level Maths for reasons outside of their control and their academic referee can attest to this on their academic reference.

Note that you can't just list qualifications on your application unless you are intending to sit the exams - and if you do not sit the exam after listing it, then either a) you will have been entered for the exam, not attended, and get a U (which is unlikely to meet any offers you have achieved or b) you were never entered for the exam, which would be considered as a change in your qualifications not communicated to the unis you applied to thus leaving them free to nullify your offer.
(edited 8 months ago)
Thank you very much for your response! If I eventually put A2 on my application I would definitely sit the exam, but do you think it would be a problem to not have the predicted grade? I already have other achieved grades and I will also have the predicted grade for AS level math.
Thank you very much for your response! If I eventually put A2 on my application I would definitely sit the exam, but do you think it would be a problem to not have the predicted grade? I already have other achieved grades and I will also have the predicted grade for AS level math.

They would probably expect your referee to note that they are unable to predict you a grade for it.

That said, why wouldn't you be able to get a predicted grade? Would your plan then be to study for it independently rather than taking it through your school?
Thanks! I think my referee can do that. And yes, I will be studying it independently. I am studying a different curriculum at school and I don’t have anything equivalent to A-level maths. I am applying this year because I have attained a few achieved grades through self studying, but again they do not include maths.
Hi everyone,
Many thanks!

If you want to drop Economics after 1st year, then just AS would be fine. If you want to keep doing Econ for your whole degree, it would be worth doing Maths A Level, but it wouldn't be necessary for every option (eg, not really important for Macroeconomics).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending