The Student Room Group

Taking Further Maths A Level In A Gap Year

I've recently started a gap year after achieving results beyond my predicted at A*A*A* (History, Maths, Economics) with intent to study Economics at top universities however I've arrived at the same conclusion several times of my chances being limited due to lacking FM as an A level. I've also applied for the TMUA if it's any help in knowing. My question is how would I go about taking FM as a course and how long it'd take to complete: my set deadline is next year September and I'm wondering whether I could complete the course before then.
Original post by JR05
I've recently started a gap year after achieving results beyond my predicted at A*A*A* (History, Maths, Economics) with intent to study Economics at top universities however I've arrived at the same conclusion several times of my chances being limited due to lacking FM as an A level. I've also applied for the TMUA if it's any help in knowing. My question is how would I go about taking FM as a course and how long it'd take to complete: my set deadline is next year September and I'm wondering whether I could complete the course before then.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing as you in terms of a gap year for FM. I started AS FM just after A-levels at the start of July and probably finished CP1 in maybe a month or 2. Then did about a 3rd of CP2 and some FM1 just before school started again. Now, I'm back at my 6th form to just do FM (specifically D1 because I cba learning it myself because it's so dry) and I am getting ahead of all of the Y13s in CP2 because I've got so much free time compared to them. I would say it's definitely possible to finish for exam time and get a good grade if you put the work in. Mr Bicen on YouTube is mostly what I used when I was learning it myself in the holidays. Maybe ask your college/6th form if they would let you back on to do both years at once. If it's too late for that, just use Mr Bicen and get the textbooks online. I have a website I downloaded them from if you would like me to send you.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kong, Donkey
I'm pretty much doing the same thing as you in terms of a gap year for FM. I started AS FM just after A-levels at the start of July and probably finished CP1 in maybe a month or 2. Then did about a 3rd of CP2 and some FM1 just before school started again. Now, I'm back at my 6th form to just do FM (specifically D1 because I cba learning it myself because it's so dry) and I am getting ahead of all of the Y13s in CP2 because I've got so much free time compared to them. I would say it's definitely possible to finish for exam time and get a good grade if you put the work in. Mr Bicen on YouTube is mostly what I used when I was learning it myself in the holidays. Maybe ask your college/6th form if they would let you back on to do both years at once. If it's too late for that, just use Mr Bicen and get the textbooks online. I have a website I downloaded them from if you would like me to send you.

do exam centres not let you do the a level paper itself without AS section beforehand or is this just like a prerequisite for your sixth form? also i might be bugging or is AS fm not just all of a level regular maths. and uh, do exam centres not typically offer fm because im not certain whether my sixth form would let me re-enter just for fm.
Original post by JR05
do exam centres not let you do the a level paper itself without AS section beforehand or is this just like a prerequisite for your sixth form? also i might be bugging or is AS fm not just all of a level regular maths. and uh, do exam centres not typically offer fm because im not certain whether my sixth form would let me re-enter just for fm.

Sorry, by AS I'm just referring to the first year of content so CP1 to be exact. I'm also pretty sure that you can choose to do the A-level paper without the AS. The difference between AS FM and A-level FM is the amount of content. AS requires CP1 and some content as part of an optional module and A-level requires CP1, CP2 and 2 full optional modules, so A-level will take longer. AS is also worth less UCAS points. My school doesn't even register any students to sit any AS exams normally. Sometimes people want to drop a 4th subject going into Y13 but still want to have the AS so they have to pay themselves to sit the AS paper.

As for exam centres, I'd check with your school if they'd let you take the A-level papers in school, even if they don't let you re-enter for lessons. For example, in my school, if people are resitting some A-levels the next year, the school lets them come back to do their resits. If not, then you could talk to your local test centre. There's probably a government website that has all the test centres on there. If not, I think it's normally the place where people will do their driving theory or the UCAT for medicine, so maybe ask around.

Quick Reply

Latest