The Student Room Group

Oxford medicine applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BigGShane
Btw, can Oxford make you stay another day for more interviews, or is that just for other courses? Because I have an interview at Newcastle on Wednesday.

Not for medicine no.
Original post by nexttime
Not for medicine no.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by MadsonK
FOOOD!
In your opinion, the cheapest (and best quality) restaurant/eat-out in central Oxford

i love mission burrito and itsu
but I'm a vegan so have to find places that actually do vegan food lol
How did your interviews go?
Original post by Examstuffxoxo
How did your interviews go?

Well, it's really hard to guess. I found them fairly interesting but I know that some of them did not at all go well...
What about you?
When do we hear back from colleges about offers??
Original post by lulabellead
When do we hear back from colleges about offers??

January 11th :smile:
Original post by Rakazuf
Well, it's really hard to guess. I found them fairly interesting but I know that some of them did not at all go well...
What about you?

I found them so difficult!! I got so many questions wrong...
Original post by Examstuffxoxo
I found them so difficult!! I got so many questions wrong...

Same, but it's best to try not to worry about it as that's kinda the point of the interviews plus it's impossible to tell how you did.

I'm going through this circle where I'm first like "this thing and that thing I said were actually pretty intelligent wow I might even have a chance" and then I start to think about all the idiotic stuff that came out of my mouth and fall into desparation haha. I just wish we wouldn't have to wait until January, especially since they apparently make the decisions by the end of this week...
Reply 469
Original post by BigGShane
January 11th :smile:

Thanks, how do you know this?
I heard they used to give out decisions almost as soon as they made them but they moved it to January as it was ruining people's Christmases! They're trying to be nice really :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by poppyb787
I heard they used to give out decisions almost as soon as they made them but they moved it to January as it was ruining people's Christmases! They're trying to be nice really :smile:

Lol. It would be the opposite wouldn't it? Keeping people in limbo ruins your Christmas, surely?

All decisions will be made I think today for you guys? And they used to send out all decisions by Friday, but it was a huge strain on the administrators and I think a few mistakes may have been made (oops) and that's the actual reason its moved to after Christmas, I believe.

As an aside: Oxford are also seriously fast at exam marking. For medical finals, you get your result two hours after the last exam. Its quite a day :p:
Original post by nexttime
Lol. It would be the opposite wouldn't it? Keeping people in limbo ruins your Christmas, surely?

All decisions will be made I think today for you guys? And they used to send out all decisions by Friday, but it was a huge strain on the administrators and I think a few mistakes may have been made (oops) and that's the actual reason its moved to after Christmas, I believe.

As an aside: Oxford are also seriously fast at exam marking. For medical finals, you get your result two hours after the last exam. Its quite a day :p:

Today??!? Ahhh that's just too much information

Original post by poppyb787

Yeah I've heard that too although based on what nexttime said plus me doubting if they would actually care that much I feel like they're just trying to SOUND nice :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Newbyliz
If they like you you should be fine. The BMAT is really just a hurdle to get to interview and scores seem really random. If you did well for your school you should be fine

Agreed. Oxford seems using a systematic approach of pA* and BMAT adjusted scores in shortlisting candidates. Indeed, from the previous posts, some failed to be shortlisted with high scores and some can get interview place with low scores (combined 58%). Scores seem really random.
Original post by Janice Shepherd
Agreed. Oxford seems using a systematic approach of pA* and BMAT adjusted scores in shortlisting candidates. Indeed, from the previous posts, some failed to be shortlisted with high scores and some can get interview place with low scores (combined 58%). Scores seem really random.

But they do look at the BMAT scores after they decide upon the initial rankings after the interviews
Reply 477
How did we all find the interviews? My first one was horrific but the other three I found okay... so yeah. I don't know really. I think my chances of getting in are very slim.
Original post by Zedna
How did we all find the interviews? My first one was horrific but the other three I found okay... so yeah. I don't know really. I think my chances of getting in are very slim.

Same. My first one was beyond awful, but I felt I did better with each successive interview (practice I guess?). My first interview will definitely rule me out from my first college. My final interview could help for my second college but there were so many strong candidates on the day so ... a very small chance.

Original post by ggana19
But they do look at the BMAT scores after they decide upon the initial rankings after the interviews

Where did you get this info from? I thought it was totally based on interview performance
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MadsonK
Same. My first one was beyond awful, but I felt I did better with each successive interview (practice I guess?). My first interview will definitely rule me out from my first college. My final interview could help for my second college but there were so many strong candidates on the day so ... a very small chance.

Where did you get this info from? I thought it was totally based on interview performance

I know someone that applied last year for medicine and got rejected after interview. She performed well at interview but her Bmat score was considerably lower than the other candidates and that was the named reason for her rejection unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending