The Student Room Group

BMAT percentage? Im at around 5.0,6.0,3A?

Hi all, I'm a yr 13 student studying for BMAT hoping to get an interview from oxford. On their official website, they have statistics and it seems i need at least 60-65% overall for an interview? Im currently at around 5.0, 6.0. (interchangeable between section 1 and 2) and 3A ish with my BMAT preparation (I know I need to grind because i only have a few days left AAA) can someone please tell me what percentage this would be? Im so worried that i wont score highly enough for an interview...
Thank you!!!
P.S. extra Q (just because BMAT preparation isnt going great :frown:) my stats are 12 9s at GCSE, predicted 4A*, what percentage would I realistically need for interview? could i get away with a slightly lower percentage?
(edited 6 months ago)
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Hey i'm in the same boat as you, only 6 days left until the test :eek:

you may already know this but oxford puts section 1 and 2 at 40% weighting each and then scores section 3 at 20% weighting. they use a formula to apply this, and based on the scores you've provided, your weighted BMAT score for oxford would probably be 59.17 out of 100. Given that your GCSE and A-level predicted results are pretty much perfect, you should hold a fairly strong chance of getting shortlisted and even accepted if you manage to bump up your BMAT score by just a few more percent (60 - 70% is very competitive). Make sure to focus on whatever section you're struggling with (for me it's section 1) and keep practising timed past papers for it until you are happy with the scores you're getting. If you follow that advice and try your best to keep calm before test day, I'm sure you will do well enough to get accepted into oxford! best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by electroblastz
Hey i'm in the same boat as you, only 6 days left until the test :eek:

you may already know this but oxford puts section 1 and 2 at 40% weighting each and then scores section 3 at 20% weighting. they use a formula to apply this, and based on the scores you've provided, your weighted BMAT score for oxford would probably be 59.17 out of 100. Given that your GCSE and A-level predicted results are pretty much perfect, you should hold a fairly strong chance of getting shortlisted and even accepted if you manage to bump up your BMAT score by just a few more percent (60 - 70% is very competitive). Make sure to focus on whatever section you're struggling with (for me it's section 1) and keep practising timed past papers for it until you are happy with the scores you're getting. If you follow that advice and try your best to keep calm before test day, I'm sure you will do well enough to get accepted into oxford! best of luck :smile:

You are so kind thank you so much for replying!! Sorry to ask but where is the formula from?
Best of luck to you too, I’m sure you’ll smash it 💪💪💪💪
Original post by Yuzhenzhang
You are so kind thank you so much for replying!! Sorry to ask but where is the formula from?

my bad i forgot to link the page where i found the formula from

thanks for the motivation though :biggrin: let's hope for the best!
Reply 5

Oxford publish it on their website
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 6
So…. Didn’t go to plan ngl
Reply 7
Exam was hard asl, I was scoring comfortably 7+ every section from 2021-2018 but today I completely lost focus after s1 and it all felt like a blur???? I think I will be lucky to get 5,5,3A tbh…
yep :s-smilie:

all we gotta do is hope our GCSEs carry our application lol. i didn't get as many 9s as you did (i got 10 GCSEs at 8/9) but i hope i still have a chance to get in
Exam was hard asl, I was scoring comfortably 7+ every section from 2021-2018 but today I completely lost focus after s1 and it all felt like a blur???? I think I will be lucky to get 5,5,3A tbh…

i would be surprised if i got any of the problem solving questions right tbh
Reply 10
Original post by electroblastz
yep :s-smilie:

all we gotta do is hope our GCSEs carry our application lol. i didn't get as many 9s as you did (i got 10 GCSEs at 8/9) but i hope i still have a chance to get in

you have a major chance!! How did you find the exam though? be honest if you found it ok 😼😼😼
you have a major chance!! How did you find the exam though? be honest if you found it ok 😼😼😼

glad to hear that!

i would probably say the test got less difficult with each section for me, with section 1 being ridiculously hard and section 3 being alright. section 2 was still pretty difficult and i did have to guess a couple questions, but i think i performed better overall compared to section 1. i have no idea what happened to the problem solving questions on section 1 tho, i was looking at them and thinking "am i being stupid or has problem solving always been this hard???" overall i found that test pretty nasty

on the bright side the grade boundaries are bound to be low for this year given that so many of us struggled with this year's BMAT, so i'm really just hoping ive done well enough to earn a 5 or 6 for each section, possibly a 3A or 4A as well for section 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending