The Student Room Group

Does UCL accept Human biology A level ?

Does UCL accept Human biology A levels or no and also what are the list of colleges that accept Human biology A level besides chemistry ?
Original post by alihelmy_56
Does UCL accept Human biology A levels or no and also what are the list of colleges that accept Human biology A level besides chemistry ?

UCL has a list of "Preferred A Level subjects" and they say "You should offer at least two A Levels taken from the preferred A Level subjects list below. Your third A Level can be in any other subject." The list includes both "Biology" and "Biology (Human)" - so you're fine. (Source)

For an answer specific to the degree course for which you're thinking of applying, you'd need to name that degree course.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
UCL has a list of "Preferred A Level subjects" and they say "You should offer at least two A Levels taken from the preferred A Level subjects list below. Your third A Level can be in any other subject." The list includes both "Biology" and "Biology (Human)" - so you're fine. (Source)

For an answer specific to the degree course for which you're thinking of applying, you'd need to name that degree course.

I forgot to mention I want to want to enter medicine so is it the same for medicine ? And also what about Oxbridge do they accept human biology A LEVEL? ,specifically OCR or no ?

Edit: matter of fact is OCR A level human biology still offered for international students in centres outside or is it discontinued because I heard that it was discontinued from 2018 June can someone please confirm ?
(edited 8 months ago)
I forgot to mention I want to want to enter medicine so is it the same for medicine ?

Although UCL list Biology (Human) in their preferred subjects list (as mentioned above), for Medicine they say here that "Biology and Chemistry required". Whether "Human Biology" is included within "Biology" or not isn't clear. I suspect not, given that they've drawn the distinction in their "preferred subjects" list.

And also what about Oxbridge do they accept human biology A LEVEL? ,specifically OCR or no ?

Oxford say here that "Candidates are required to achieve at least a grade A in both Chemistry and at least one of Biology, Physics, Mathematics or Further Mathematics." So they don't need Biology at all, necessarily. That's presumably because they assess the knowledge of all applicants via the BMAT.

Cambridge say here that they require "A Levels in Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics, Mathematics" although "Most applicants for Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A Levels and some Colleges require this and/or particular subjects." Human Biology is not mentioned. Again, Cambridge use the BMAT to assess your Biological knowledge.

No university cares what the exam board is - OCR or otherwise.
Edit: matter of fact is OCR A level human biology still offered for international students in centres outside or is it discontinued because I heard that it was discontinued from 2018 June can someone please confirm ?

OCR withdrew A level Human Biology a few years ago. The final assessment opportunity was Summer 2017 (or Summer 2018 for resits). See here for confirmation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending