The Student Room Group

Questions on Intercalation

Hi there!

I'm am applying for vet school pretty soon and after doing a Nuffield placement I am considering intercalation. But I have a few questions;

Do you apply for the intercalated year in UCAS? Or is it something you do whilst in vet school?
Is the funding the same as the other years? As in do you still get the tuition and maintenance loan from the government?
Is the only option for intercalation at Liverpool the year in China? And again, how does this work for funding?

And anyone who did/is doing intercalation, how has it affected your social life?

Thanks in advance c:
Original post by Ruineth
Do you apply for the intercalated year in UCAS? Or is it something you do whilst in vet school?
You can apply on UCAS to study veterinary medicine with an intercalated year (D101, as opposed to the 5 year course, D100), however by doing this you won't have actually applied to the institution where you'll do your extra degree. For all intents and purposes I believe it's just a funding thing; you can still apply to intercalate if you're not on D101, and likewise you can change your mind if you are on it. I think it just makes it less hassle to get your student funding extended by a year.

You therefore apply for your extra year while at vet school. I believe it is done direct to the universities in question, not on UCAS.

Is the funding the same as the other years? As in do you still get the tuition and maintenance loan from the government?

If you study in the UK, yes.

Is the only option for intercalation at Liverpool the year in China? And again, how does this work for funding?

That doesn't seem to be the case according to Liverpool's website? That sounds like it may be an option only available to Liverpool students, though. Student finance is different if you're studying abroad. I *think* you might get a tuition loan but not your living costs, but double check that, it will be on the SFE website.

I hope that helps a bit. I haven't intercalated myself, hence why I haven't answered your question about social life. You might get a few more answers for that on the medicine forums, as the process is generally the same and there are more users there that have done it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
You can apply on UCAS to study veterinary medicine with an intercalated year (D101, as opposed to the 5 year course, D100), however by doing this you won't have actually applied to the institution where you'll do your extra degree. For all intents and purposes I believe it's just a funding thing; you can still apply to intercalate if you're not on D101, and likewise you can change your mind if you are on it. I think it just makes it less hassle to get your student funding extended by a year.

You therefore apply for your extra year while at vet school. I believe it is done direct to the universities in question, not on UCAS.

If you study in the UK, yes.

That doesn't seem to be the case according to Liverpool's website? That sounds like it may be an option only available to Liverpool students, though. Student finance is different if you're studying abroad. I *think* you might get a tuition loan but not your living costs, but double check that, it will be on the SFE website.

I hope that helps a bit. I haven't intercalated myself, hence why I haven't answered your question about social life. You might get a few more answers for that on the medicine forums, as the process is generally the same and there are more users there that have done it :smile:

Thanks so much for your help!
Okay, that fine. I will have a look further into the applying for D101 vs D100 to make sure but thanks for giving me starting point C:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending