The Student Room Group

Should I go into biotechnology or medicine in terms of a job

I was wondering if I should become a biotechnologist or a doctor. Reason for being a biotechnologist is that I find the content interesting and I want to start a business in the because I think it's going to become a large industry in the future if ain't already. Though I realise I could do an intercalated degree in biotech along with med school . I was thinking if I become a doctor it will give me a lot of knowledge about potential products and how they will be used as well as that, I'd be able to raise a lot of money so my Chances of running a biotech business will be more tangible. I think I'd get by in medschool as I have also researched about it and I'm likely going to have more than the necessary grades. I'm willing to study several hours a day as Im very interested in the sciences as well as working in a clinical setting. I'm also wondering if learning to programme would be useful in my goal as it seems that computers skills are going to be a very useful asset too.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by Sigmakernal
I was wondering if I should become a biotechnologist or a doctor. Reason for being a biotechnologist is that I find the content interesting and I want to start a business in the because I think it's going to become a large industry in the future if ain't already. Though I realise I could do an intercalated degree in biotech along with med school . I was thinking if I become a doctor it will give me a lot of knowledge about potential products and how they will be used as well as that, I'd be able to raise a lot of money so my Chances of running a biotech business will be more tangible. I think I'd get by in medschool as I have also researched about it and I'm likely going to have more than the necessary grades. I'm willing to study several hours a day as Im very interested in the sciences as well as working in a clinical setting. I'm also wondering if learning to programme would be useful in my goal as it seems that computers skills are going to be a very useful asset too.

Lol, doubtful.

Sounds like your primary interest is technology so I would just go for that.
!!! This is crazy we are in the exact same boat! I love both the content in biotechnology and medicine, as well as lab-research and clinical work. So I really struggled to choose between Medicine and Biochemistry/biotech. I've been reading through some discussions on TSR, and it seems that combining an intercalated degree with medicine, as you mentioned earlier, could be a possibility. However, I think it depends on the type of research you're looking for. Many academic clinicians tend to work in part-time research, which is typically more clinically oriented. If your interests lean more towards lab-based research, a biology-related degree might be better, as It focuses more on scientific research and is a shorter course. For biotech, I think this may be a better option? Because biotech does not necessarily have to be related to medicine, right?

I'm quite lost as well when it comes to deciding which path is better. I've already taken/applied for several work experiences and volunteering opportunities in hospitals and pharmacies, and I really enjoyed them. Plus, not pursuing medicine might feel like I'm letting those experiences go to waste. On the other hand, I really liked biotech, especially genetic engineering, and it would be cool to work in labs!

I will need to do more research on the intercalated degree and see if it is worth it!!! Let me know if you have found anything!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
have u decided what you want to do now?? i’m in the same predicament
Reply 5
Original post by solariium
have u decided what you want to do now?? i’m in the same predicament

Quite frankly no 😅😅 I'm still trying to figure out whether I should go out on a limb into biotech as I see medicine as a good primary plan cos of job security tho I'm prob gonna do biotech as intercalated degree and prob base it on the medical/pharmaceuticals side or perhaps agricultural side of things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending