The Student Room Group

Is intercalation still worth it?

Do you think that intercalated degrees are still worth it even though MDRS removed them from their scoring criteria and they no longer count for the UKFPO? There are benefits to intercalated degrees such as gaining research skills but there are other ways to develop these without having to take a year out and the additional student loans.

What are your opinions?
Reply 1
1. If you already have a bachelor degree, no.
2. If you don't have a bachelor degree but you are sure that you are not going to fail the rest of your medical degree, no.
3. If you don't want to become an academic or researcher upon graduation, no.
Original post by ksj1526
1. If you already have a bachelor degree, no.
2. If you don't have a bachelor degree but you are sure that you are not going to fail the rest of your medical degree, no.
3. If you don't want to become an academic or researcher upon graduation, no.

can you expand on your point 2? your reasoning
Original post by MedMama
can you expand on your point 2? your reasoning

I think what they mean is, if for any reason one fails their medicine degree and risk being removed from the course, then they will atleast have a BSc when they leave?
Original post by fitbeesummer
I think what they mean is, if for any reason one fails their medicine degree and risk being removed from the course, then they will atleast have a BSc when they leave?

thanks
this makes sense, although I think it could apply more widely
eg., if go to Edinburgh not absolutely 100% certain medicine is the right choice, then at least they leave with a degree
ie sometimes students are academically capable, but not sure until they are on the degree the full extent of the commitment
( not advocating a ‘try it and see’ approach, but the reality is…it happens)
Original post by MedMama
thanks
this makes sense, although I think it could apply more widely
eg., if go to Edinburgh not absolutely 100% certain medicine is the right choice, then at least they leave with a degree
ie sometimes students are academically capable, but not sure until they are on the degree the full extent of the commitment
( not advocating a ‘try it and see’ approach, but the reality is…it happens)

yes..So, a BSc will still be gained, if you leave the course for any reason
yes..So, a BSc will still be gained, if you leave the course for any reason

yes, as it would at other with either a traditional 6 year course
( could also be MSc or BA)
or if a student opts to intercalate in the course of an integrated 5 year course
also, as far as I know, Notts and Soton both do an integrated undergraduate degree within their 5 year course,still
Original post by Anonymous #1
Do you think that intercalated degrees are still worth it even though MDRS removed them from their scoring criteria and they no longer count for the UKFPO? There are benefits to intercalated degrees such as gaining research skills but there are other ways to develop these without having to take a year out and the additional student loans.

What are your opinions?

Hello! I'm currently on my intercalating year (in between 4th and 5th).

I think it depends on your reasons for wanting to intercalate. If it's for academic skills, like you said there's other ways to go around it without spending an extra year. Finances are something else to take into consideration (the NHS bursary funded this year for me so that certainly was a plus) but if I hadn't been saving for a while I probably wouldn't have been able to do it. Also, if you're a graduate there's no benefit in doing an extra year.

However, if you want to explore a new subject area, take a break from medicine or get a change of scene I would highly recommend intercalating (but ideally in a year where the NHS funds it if your university offers that option). For me it's been so rewarding and I don't regret my decision at all 🙂
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hello! I'm currently on my intercalating year (in between 4th and 5th).

I think it depends on your reasons for wanting to intercalate. If it's for academic skills, like you said there's other ways to go around it without spending an extra year. Finances are something else to take into consideration (the NHS bursary funded this year for me so that certainly was a plus) but if I hadn't been saving for a while I probably wouldn't have been able to do it. Also, if you're a graduate there's no benefit in doing an extra year.

However, if you want to explore a new subject area, take a break from medicine or get a change of scene I would highly recommend intercalating (but ideally in a year where the NHS funds it if your university offers that option). For me it's been so rewarding and I don't regret my decision at all 🙂

hi there, would it be only Scottish/ Welsh medical schools where this NHS funding exists for an opportunity to intercalate for a year?
Original post by MedMama
hi there, would it be only Scottish/ Welsh medical schools where this NHS funding exists for an opportunity to intercalate for a year?

Hi! As far as I'm aware, no, I think it's generally all UK medical schools. I've attached a link to the NHSBSA which answers this question and a more detailed PDF about the NHS Bursary.

If it helps, I usually study at an English medical school and am intercalating at a Scottish one 🙂

https://faq.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/knowledgebase/article/KA-02483/en-us

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2023-01/NHS%20Bursary%20Funding%20for%20Medical%20and%20Dental%20Students%202022-23%20%28V5%29%2012.2022.pdf
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi! As far as I'm aware, no, I think it's generally all UK medical schools. I've attached a link to the NHSBSA which answers this question and a more detailed PDF about the NHS Bursary.

If it helps, I usually study at an English medical school and am intercalating at a Scottish one 🙂

https://faq.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/knowledgebase/article/KA-02483/en-us

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2023-01/NHS%20Bursary%20Funding%20for%20Medical%20and%20Dental%20Students%202022-23%20%28V5%29%2012.2022.pdf

really appreciate you taking time to find this article, and will read it now
thank you!
Be aware that if you are doing a Masters then the Student Loan funding has different rates to undergraduate funding and there are different criteria for repayment I think!
Original post by Medic's Mother
Be aware that if you are doing a Masters then the Student Loan funding has different rates to undergraduate funding and there are different criteria for repayment I think!

With me, I was under the impression that the student loan company would not give any extra funding on top of the NHS bursary - I spoke to the SLC whilst I was applying and they said as I had not completed an undergraduate degree I was okay to keep it as that.

I know you can't do a masters degree before you're eligible for the NHS Bursary (well, you can, it just means like you said the funding from SLC changes and you would need a postgraduate one). The NHS Bursary kicks in at your fifth year of study. If you were to do a masters degree after your 2nd year of medical study for example, you would still require SLC funding in your 3rd medical year (fourth year of study) and that would cause a lot of headaches in terms of funding.

What I had this year was the NHS Bursary paying the majority of my tuition fees (they will only cover £9250 and some masters courses are more expensive) as well as the maintenance grant they give.

I hope that makes sense - the whole funding thing was an absolute nightmare to wrap my head around and unfortunately there were no clear guides online!
Reply 13

Yes. Unfortunately, for any degree with compulsory clinical placements, the marking of clinical placements is subjective and sometimes you could fail just because your clinical educator/supervisor doesn't like you and want to **** on you. So if you don't have a first degree, take the intercalation degree in case some nasty senior clinician fails you just because who you are in your Y4 or 5 of your MBBCh - or you will have nothing left for years of efforts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending