The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A_Fool's_Paradise
Hi, I'm new here, hello.:smile:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but would it be correct to say that B2v=k2vB^2{\bf v} = k^2{\bf v} ? I can't see how to prove this, my matrix algebra is really lacking. Could somebody show me?

Thanks.
B2v=BBvB^2 \bf{v} = B B \bf{v}. But Bv=λvB \bf{v} = \lambda \bf{v}, therefore...
Lusus Naturae
B2v=BBvB^2 \bf{v} = B B \bf{v}. But Bv=λvB \bf{v} = \lambda \bf{v}, therefore...

Also taking note of the fact that B is linear, so B(kv) = kB(v).
A_Fool's_Paradise
Hi, I'm new here, hello.:smile:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but would it be correct to say that B2v=k2vB^2{\bf v} = k^2{\bf v} ? I can't see how to prove this, my matrix algebra is really lacking. Could somebody show me?

Thanks.

If you can find the eigenvalue of a matrix or operator for a given eigenvector, you can just replace wherever the operator/matrix acting on the eigenvector with the eigenvalue times the eigenvector, so if:

H^ψ=EψH2^ψ=H^Eψ=E2ψ \hat{H} \psi = E \psi \to \hat{H^2} \psi = \hat{H} E \psi = E^2 \psi

The hat on the H denotes that it is an operator/matrix, and H^ \hat{H} and E commute (there order of operation doesn't matter) because E is just a scalar.

Does this help any?
0 div curl F
If you can find the eigenvalue of a matrix or operator for a given eigenvector, you can just replace wherever the operator/matrix acting on the eigenvector with the eigenvalue times the eigenvector, so if:

H^ψ=EψH2^ψ=H^Eψ=E2ψ \hat{H} \psi = E \psi \to \hat{H^2} \psi = \hat{H} E \psi = E^2 \psi

The hat on the H denotes that it is an operator/matrix, and H^ \hat{H} and E commute (there order of operation doesn't matter) because E is just a scalar.

Does this help any?

Thanks everyone for your replies, helped a lot, however...

I'm having trouble seeing how you got from H^Eψ\hat{H} E \psi to E2ψE^2 \psi .
A_Fool's_Paradise
Thanks everyone for your replies, helped a lot, however...

I'm having trouble seeing how you got from H^Eψ\hat{H} E \psi to E2ψE^2 \psi .

Well you can switch the order of the H^ \hat{H} and the E since they commute. so:

H^Eψ=EH^ψ \hat{H} E \psi = E \hat{H} \psi

Then we just use that H^ψ=Eψ \hat{H} \psi = E \psi from before, so
EH^ψ=EEψ=E2ψ E \hat{H} \psi = E E \psi = E^2 \psi

Is that any better?
Ergh, I feel like an idiot. Thanks for your help.
No problem, glad I could help. This type of mathematics is a very powerful tool, I'd encourage anybody to read up on this linear algebra because you'd be surprised at the types of problems you can solve with this type of formalism
It's definitely useful, but a total bastard to get my head around! Another question from this damn book that has me stumped:

So I have these iterative formulae:
xn+1=xn+3ynx_{n+1} = x_n + 3y_n
yn+1=2xn+12yny_{n+1} = 2x_n + \frac{1}{2}y_n

Which Ive expressed in the matrix form Ax = b, I've then taken eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix A... these are...

Eigenvector of eigenvalue -1 = [-3; 2]
Eigenvector of eigenvalue 4: = [1; 1]

The question then asks "Using the initial values x0=3x_0 = -3 and y0=2y_0 = 2, and that Anx=λnxA^n x = \lambda^n x, find an expression for yny_n in terms of n."

I am utterly utterly lost.

I'd like to work through this myself, but could anybody give me a nudge in the right direction??!
A_Fool's_Paradise
It's definitely useful, but a total bastard to get my head around! Another question from this damn book that has me stumped:

So I have these iterative formulae:
yn+1=2xn+12yny_{n+1} = 2x_n + \frac{1}{2}y_n

Which Ive expressed in the matrix form Ax = b, I've then taken eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix A... these are...

Eigenvector of eigenvalue -1 = [-3; 2]
Eigenvector of eigenvalue 4: = [1; 1]

The question then asks "Using the initial values x0=3x_0 = -3 and y0=2y_0 = 2, and that Anx=λnxA^n x = \lambda^n x, find an expression for yny_n in terms of n."

I am utterly utterly lost.

I'd like to work through this myself, but could anybody give me a nudge in the right direction??!
I don't get the eigenvalues you do (and your eigenvectors don't seem to be valid eigenvectors for the matrix I have in mind) - on the other hand, my eigenvalues are "not nice" (involving sqrt(97)), so I suspect either I'm wrong or I'm misunderstanding which matrix you've formed, or you've written the question incorrectly.

I suggest you post more detailed working.
So did you end up with a matrix equation which looked like this:

Unparseable latex formula:

\left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{n+1}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{n+1}} \end {array} \right] = \left[ \begin {array}{cc} 1&3\\\noalign{\medskip}2&1/2\end {array} \right] \cdot \left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{n}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{n}} \end {array} \right]

If so I don't get the same eigenvalues as you did?
0 div curl F
So did you end up with a matrix equation which looked like this:

\left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{n+1}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{n+1}} \end {array} \right] = \left[ \begin {array}{cc} 1&3\\\noalign{\medskip}2&1/2\end {array} \right] \cdot \left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{n}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{n}} \end {array} \right]

If so I don't get the same eigenvalues as you did?
That's what I did, and I ended up with 2t^2-3t-11 for the characteristic poly. If the matrix is right, I'm sure I made a mistake, but I'm not seeing it.

Edit: just did a numerical calc of the largest eigenvalue, and it tallies with my answer of (3+97)/4(3+\sqrt{97})/4. My guess is there's a typo somewhere.
Apologies, my mistake. That 1/2 should just be a 2.

yn+1=2xn+2yny_{n+1} = 2x_n + 2y_n

Giving...

\left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{n+1}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{n+1}} \end {array} \right] = \left[ \begin {array}{cc} 1&3\\\noalign{\medskip}2&2\end {array} \right] \left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{n}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{n}} \end {array} \right]

So for that matrix I do indeed agree with your eigenvalues.

As for the question, the initial conditions are an eigenvector of the matrix, and a eigenvector is a special direction that is mapped on to itself with its matrix, i.e. its direction does not change, just its length changes. so

\left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{n}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{n}} \end {array} \right] = { \left[ \begin {array}{cc} 1&3\\\noalign{\medskip}2&2\end {array} \right] }^{n} \cdot \left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{0}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{0}}\end {array} \right]

from before, and since this vector is an eigenvector with eigenvalue -1, we can replace the matrix with its eigenvalue, just as I did in the example I wrote up last night, so we get (-1)^n

so I make this to be true:

yn=(1)ny0 y_n = (-1)^n y_0

Does this help any? I think its correct
0 div curl F
So for that matrix I do indeed agree with your eigenvalues.

As for the question, the initial conditions are an eigenvector of the matrix, and a eigenvector is a special direction that is mapped on to itself with its matrix, i.e. its direction does not change, just its length changes. so

\left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{n}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{n}} \end {array} \right] = { \left[ \begin {array}{cc} 1&3\\\noalign{\medskip}2&2\end {array} \right] }^{n} \cdot \left[ \begin {array}{c} x_{{0}}\\\noalign{\medskip}y_{{0}}\end {array} \right]

from before, and since this vector is an eigenvector with eigenvalue -1, we can replace the matrix with its eigenvalue, just as I did in the example I wrote up last night, so we get (-1)^n

so I make this to be true:

yn=(1)ny0 y_n = (-1)^n y_0

Does this help any? I think its correct

Thanks, that is the right answer. I understand that the initial conditions are an eigenvector, but I'm having problems following why

is true. Could you explain?

Thanks.
That would be true whatever the matrix and vector. You've set things up so that vn+1=Avnv_{n+1} = Av_n (A is the matrix, V is the vector), and it's immediate that vn=Anv0v_n = A^n v_0 (if you really want to, you can prove it by induction on n).
A_Fool's_Paradise
Thanks, that is the right answer. I understand that the initial conditions are an eigenvector, but I'm having problems following why

is true. Could you explain?

Thanks.

As DFranklin quite rightly said, if you know Xn+1=AXn X_{n+1} = A X_{n} then you know Xn+1=A2Xn1=A3Xn2 X_{n+1} = A^2 X_{n-1} = A^3 X_{n-2} and so on all the way back to X0 X_{0}

You might like to think of it as each term has to have n+1 in it in this example, so that the indices in AkXl A^k X_{l} , k+l=n+1 k + l = n + 1 .

If you start at n instead of n + 1 like in your problem, each terms "indices" will have to sum to n.

Is that any better?

Latest