The Student Room Group

Simple harmonic motion A level physics help?

Hi. Please attempt this question and let me know what answer you get. I keep getting B) 0.8ms^-1 but the correct answer is A.

Please post method working if you manage to get A.

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
The speed equation for simple harmoic motion is given by; omega x the square root of the amplitude squared - the displacement squared.

Omega can be calculated because omega = 2pi x frequency, which because f = 1 / T, can be written as omega = 2pi / T.

Also, we have to change units to metres, therefore 10 cm and 6 cm become 0.10 metres and 0.06 metres, respectively.

Plugging these back into the speed equation, we are left with, speed = (2pi / 0.8) x the square root of (0.10)^2 - (0.06)^2, which will give you 0.6283185307 ms-1.

Rounding this off, we are left with 0.6 ms-1, which is A.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jas1947
Hi. Please attempt this question and let me know what answer you get. I keep getting B) 0.8ms^-1 but the correct answer is A.

Please post method working if you manage to get A.

Thank you

I got 0.63ms^-1I got the angular velocity with 2pi/T. This gave me 2.5pi rads^s-1I subbed that into the velocity equation
Where A=10*10^-2m and x=6*10^-2m and angular velocity is 2.5pi and got 0.63
Reply 3
Original post by thegingerafro
The speed equation for simple harmoic motion is given by; omega x the square root of the amplitude squared - the displacement squared.

Omega can be calculated because omega = 2pi x frequency, which because f = 1 / T, can be written as omega = 2pi / T.

Also, we have to change units to metres, therefore 10 cm and 6 cm become 0.10 metres and 0.06 metres, respectively.

Plugging these back into the speed equation, we are left with, speed = (2pi / 0.8) x the square root of (0.10)^2 - (0.06)^2, which will give you 0.6283185307 ms-1.

Rounding this off, we are left with 0.6 ms-1, which is A.

Thank you! But im confused why we dont use the equation....Vmax = 2πfA?
Vmax = 2pi x f x A is just for calculating the maximum speed of the object, without reference to any specific point in an oscillation.

Whereas, by using V = Omega x the square root of Amplitude squared - Displacement squared, you can calculate the velocity of the object at any given point in it's oscillation.

http://physicsnet.co.uk/a-level-physics-as-a2/further-mechanics/simple-harmonic-motion-shm/ you might find this page helpful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by thegingerafro
Vmax = 2pi x f x A is just for calculating the maximum speed of the object, without reference to any specific point in an oscillation.

Whereas, by using V = Omega x the square root of Amplitude squared - Displacement squared, you can calculate the velocity of the object at any given point in it's oscillation.

http://physicsnet.co.uk/a-level-physics-as-a2/further-mechanics/simple-harmonic-motion-shm/ you might find this page helpful.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest