The Student Room Group

doing physics a level outside of school

hi, I'm currently in year 12 studying math, further math and geography (which I regret deeply), and recently I've been into physics and i really want to do a degree relating to it however i don't do it as an a level so how and where do i apply to do it privately, and is it hard to learn content before exams ??
thankyou
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by iloveranpo
hi, I'm currently in year 12 studying math, further math and geography (which I regret deeply), and recently I've been into physics and i really want to do a degree relating to it however i don't do it as an a level so how and where do i apply to do it privately, and is it hard to learn content before exams ??
thankyou

I've just done my final physics exams. I was with Edexcel which I've heard is one of the easier exam boards for physics. Because physics is a science you need to complete the core practicals and have a teacher check it off for you to pass the practical element (which is required for a science degree). Regarding exams there are lots of great resources for revising but I haven't taught myself any topics successfully as it took me ages to understand simple harmonic motion. Would it be possible for you to retake y12 with physics instead of geography?

You don't need fm to do a physics/engineering degree (but it helps for the more academic unis) but you definitely need a level maths
Reply 2
thankyou so much and i hope you did well in your final exams:smile:, and yea i get that physics is a hard a level, i thought of repeating year 12 but honestly ill rather do a foundation in physics there are a lot of Russel group universities that offer them. but do you think doing a engineering degree or physics degree is better?
Hi I’m also a year 12 rn and kinda regret taking geo aswell lol. Similar to you, I’ve been looking at my options (but looking to take up bio not physics) and there are quite a few: pick up physics AS in year 13 and stay on an extra year to get the full a level, take a gap year and do a level physics during it, try and learn AS physics in summer in time for year 2 content (this one is a bit ambitious). When you say you want to do it privately, do you intend on learning it outside of school now alongside your other three? If you’re interested in engineering, civil engineering would suit your a levels as geo is actually quite relevant to it. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by bamsa
Hi I’m also a year 12 rn and kinda regret taking geo aswell lol. Similar to you, I’ve been looking at my options (but looking to take up bio not physics) and there are quite a few: pick up physics AS in year 13 and stay on an extra year to get the full a level, take a gap year and do a level physics during it, try and learn AS physics in summer in time for year 2 content (this one is a bit ambitious). When you say you want to do it privately, do you intend on learning it outside of school now alongside your other three? If you’re interested in engineering, civil engineering would suit your a levels as geo is actually quite relevant to it. Good luck!

Hi, yea I meant doing it as an a level outside of school, but I think ill just go for a foundation year in physics. thankyou for the reply and good luck to you too.

Quick Reply

Latest