The Student Room Group

Modular inverses

crypt.png

Hi guys I've completed this question but i was wondering for part b is it safe to assume a doesn't equal p or do we need to show that it doesn't

and for showing that the magnitude of the set is p-1 is this just to do with the definition of a prime number as the only number in that set that is not coprime with p is p itself
(edited 7 years ago)
Firstly it is given in the question that a is not equal to p since a is given to be in Z_p\{0} but p is not in Z_p\{0} (since p is congruent to 0 mod p and 0 is not in the set).

The size of Z_p\{0} can be found by considering how many remainders you can get when dividing by p that is you can get {1,2,3,...,p-1}. So it has size p-1.

In fact the set is isomorphic to the quotient group Z/pZ. Integers mod p.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would think the answer to the last part is going to depend on your exact definition of Zp\mathbb{Z}_p^*.
Original post by DFranklin
I would think the answer to the last part is going to depend on your exact definition of Zp\mathbb{Z}_p^*.

I suspect his definition would be (and I gave my answer):

Zp={1ˉ,2ˉ,...,p1}\mathbb{Z}_p^*=\{\bar{1}, \bar{2},...,\overline{p-1}\} where iˉ\bar{i} is the equivalence class of i mod p. (I.e. the set of all integers congruent to i mod p or equivalently the set of integers that leave the same remainder as i when divided by p).

But if op would clarify that would help a lot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by poorform

Zp={1ˉ,2ˉ,...,p1}\mathbb{Z}_p^*=\{\bar{1}, \bar{2},...,\overline{p-1}\} where iˉ\bar{i} is the equivalence class of i mod p. (I.e. the set of all integers congruent to i mod p).

Note that the members of Z6\mathbb{Z}_6^* are 1 and -1. (or 1 and 5, if you prefer). So it ends up mattering if you've been given a definition correct for general Z_n (even if only expected to use it for n prime), or if you've been given a defintion only valid for n prime. (I've seem both of these approaches taught).
Reply 5

Zp={1ˉ,2ˉ,...,p1}\mathbb{Z}_p^*=\{\bar{1}, \bar{2},...,\overline{p-1}\} where iˉ\bar{i} is the equivalence class of i mod p. (I.e. the set of all integers congruent to i mod p or equivalently the set of integers that leave the same remainder as i when divided by p).

hi thanks for your response, the definition of this set that we was given was Zp=[yZp:y1exists]\mathbb{Z}_p^*={[y\in{\mathbb{Z}_p}:y^{-1} exists]}
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Firstly it is given in the question that a is not equal to p since a is given to be in Z_p\{0} but p is not in Z_p\{0} (since p is congruent to 0 mod p and 0 is not in the set).

The size of Z_p\{0} can be found by considering how many remainders you can get when dividing by p that is you can get {1,2,3,...,p-1}. So it has size p-1.

In fact the set is isomorphic to the quotient group Z/pZ. Integers mod p.

and for part b since it is safe to assume a doesnt equal p are we allowed to just jump to the fact that gcd(a,p)=1 since p is prime thus any element in the set that is less then p is co prime to p thus a has an inverse?

Quick Reply

Latest