The Student Room Group

IMC study tips

Scroll to see replies

Hi, Is anyone selling Unit 1 and Unit 2 v.14 ? Was trying to get the BPP full set of books for each unit.
I thankfully passed my IMC Unit1 today and thought I would come on here to pass on my knowledge of the course. The real exam is a lot tougher than the mocks provided online (by CFA) and by BPP. I pretty much memorised the whole book (spent around 100 hours studying) and still found the questions extremely hard most of them using real life applications of all that was learnt.My best advice would be to do all mock exams 2/3 times and read around the subject provided in the booksGood luck all!
Original post by Studentay
I thankfully passed my IMC Unit1 today and thought I would come on here to pass on my knowledge of the course. The real exam is a lot tougher than the mocks provided online (by CFA) and by BPP. I pretty much memorised the whole book (spent around 100 hours studying) and still found the questions extremely hard most of them using real life applications of all that was learnt.My best advice would be to do all mock exams 2/3 times and read around the subject provided in the booksGood luck all!

Hi Studentay,

I am planning on doing Unit 1. Did you do the Kaplan course/classes or did you go through the BPp textbook/guide in your own time?

Which approach do you recommend? I am studying Maths&Econ at Uni and want to do the IMC beside it.

Thank you.
Original post by User_exams-7
Hi Studentay,

I am planning on doing Unit 1. Did you do the Kaplan course/classes or did you go through the BPp textbook/guide in your own time?

Which approach do you recommend? I am studying Maths&Econ at Uni and want to do the IMC beside it.

Thank you.

Hi there,

I used BPP classes. This really helped digest the information and they give good practice exams and over 1000 questions to revise from.

The best approach was to almost memorise the book and then practice all 5 practice exams (BPP) and the 2 mock exams (CFA website).

Hope this helps.
Original post by Studentay
Hi there,

I used BPP classes. This really helped digest the information and they give good practice exams and over 1000 questions to revise from.

The best approach was to almost memorise the book and then practice all 5 practice exams (BPP) and the 2 mock exams (CFA website).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of solely buying the BPP textbook, revision guide and practise kit since it would cost me far less than a classroom package. Would this include the over 1000 questions that you are saying, or do I need to buy the classes to access them?

Again thanks for your help.
Original post by User_exams-7
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of solely buying the BPP textbook, revision guide and practise kit since it would cost me far less than a classroom package. Would this include the over 1000 questions that you are saying, or do I need to buy the classes to access them?

Again thanks for your help.

I believe that this is the case, yes. But you will have to contact BPP directly...
Hi Ruben, To I took BPP course and I did focus on listening and watching audio material answering all exams there. I was a bit surprised after I managed to answer all exams and pass them there that questions in real one weren't similar to the ones in BPP. So my strategy of learning to pass all online exams of BPP is not enoff. I need to go back to study syllabus and mock questions and answers. That is my case. If anyone have some suggestions please let me know.
I took BPP course and I did focus on listening and watching audio material + answering all exams there. I was a bit surprised after I managed to answer all exams and pass them there that questions in real one weren't similar to the ones in BPP. So my strategy of learning to pass all online exams of BPP is not enoff. I need to go back to study syllabus and mock questions and answers. That is my case. If anyone have some suggestions please let me know.
Original post by sarx121
I just sat the Exam yesterday and aced it (1st time round too). I however pretty much memorized the entire book, and I have to agree that after memorizing the 3 mock exams - the actual exam is definitely harder and none of the questions asked, were in the mock exams. I can't say how many hours I studied for, but I must have read the bok around 7 times? Plus 2 weeks of full time studying and some part-time studies in-between.

Anyway I am about to start studying for unit 2 and hopefully can pass it the 1st time round too.

Best fo luck!

hello mate, you say you had 3 mock exams but in the book i only have 1, where did you find the others? thanks!
Reply 29
hi! do you think that i have to buy the IMC book or only the Kaplan Textbook is ok? Thanks
Reply 30
Original post by Vallern
If you can afford it, I suggest you purchase the distance learning programme by Kaplan. It helps a great deal. If you study on your own, its going to be harder. You need to constantly revise chapters you have studies. For example say you study ch 7. Then you go and study ch 8. As soon as you are done with 8, revisit 7. Then do 8 again and go to 9. After you are done with 9 revisit 7,8. You get the pattern, this helps you not forget stuff you e already done.

Also practice questions help a lot, another reason why Kaplan is a sound choixe if you can afford it.

Hi, Do you this that I also have to buy the IMC book or the Kaplan Textbook is ok? Thanks
Reply 31
Hi Kieron, do you still have the books and how much are you selling them for? Please let me know as I am looking for the Unit 2 Investment Practice book as I have recently cleared Unit 1.Thanks,Shelton
Hi guys,I am planning on taking the IMC unit 1 and unit 2 in November, however i have been left a bit behind with my revision and i am planning to take unit 2 around December. However the curriculum will change and i have already purchased the 15th version and from what i saw the 16th doesn't vary much from the 15th. Do you think i should take the unit 2 in december with the 15th version or should i purchase the 16th one?
Just passed my IMC Unit 1 today. The exam was much difficult than I thought though. Here are a few things I would recommend. 1. Dont take it for granted and try mugging up. search the net for examples or better understanding. 2. Practise sample questions as much as possible. 3. Timing - I thought 100minutes was too much but I just about managed to finish it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending