The Student Room Group

School won’t enter student for UKMT maths challenge

My nephew is in year 10 and has a talent for maths so I suggested he look into UKMT and Olympiads. He tried an intermediate maths challenge past paper and his score would have been enough for a gold certificate and he would have qualified for the next Olympiad stage.

His parents asked his school and they said they don’t enter students for the maths challenges. I checked the UKMT website and it seems like a school has to apply and students can’t apply privately? So is there any way he can be entered?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
@Muttley79 I’m tagging you because I’ve seen you post a lot about UKMT when I’ve been looking for answers. It wouldn’t let me tag you in the first post.
Reply 2
Original post by 0-)
My nephew is in year 10 and has a talent for maths so I suggested he look into UKMT and Olympiads. He tried an intermediate maths challenge past paper and his score would have been enough for a gold certificate and he would have qualified for the next Olympiad stage.

His parents asked his school and they said they don’t enter students for the maths challenges. I checked the UKMT website and it seems like a school has to apply and students can’t apply privately? So is there any way he can be entered?

The school has to register - it's free and then he can take the challenges. The IMC is worth doing becuase a top score can get you an invite to a National maths Summer school.

Why won't the school register? Is there another local school that will allow him to sit the challenge?

There is a database of past papers here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/worksheets.php?wdid=44

https://ukmt.org.uk/intermediate-challenges/intermediate-mathematical-challenge
Reply 3
Original post by 0-)

You could try posting that question to @UKMathsTrust on Twitter/X.
Original post by Muttley79
The school has to register - it's free and then he can take the challenges. The IMC is worth doing becuase a top score can get you an invite to a National maths Summer school.

Why won't the school register? Is there another local school that will allow him to sit the challenge?

There is a database of past papers here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/worksheets.php?wdid=44

https://ukmt.org.uk/intermediate-challenges/intermediate-mathematical-challenge

My son's primary didn't do primary math challenge as there is no one want to organise. When he got to secondary, the school did not allow him to attend SMC in year 9. It's up to school as I understand.
Reply 5
Original post by FairAboutUK
My son's primary didn't do primary math challenge as there is no one want to organise. When he got to secondary, the school did not allow him to attend SMC in year 9. It's up to school as I understand.

The IMC is for Year 9 not the SMC ...
Reply 6
Do you live in London?
Original post by Muttley79
The IMC is for Year 9 not the SMC ...

I understand IMC is for under year 11 and SMC is for under year 13. I meant that every school has a policy to enter or not UKMT competition.
Reply 8
I understand IMC is for under year 11 and SMC is for under year 13. I meant that every school has a policy to enter or not UKMT competition.

They don't need a 'policy' - every school is open to register and enter the challenges. Parents need to get involved if this isn't being offered.

I would only enter a Year 9 for the IMC as they are far more likely to do well and then get through to follow-on rounds and maybe onto the mentoring scheme.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 0-)

Thats unlucky its so sad as I know so many people who waste the oppurunity at my grammer school. Most people dont even get Kangeroo let alone olympiad so well done to him
Reply 10

SMC is a bit much for year 9 but IMC is realistic
Reply 11
Original post by pkmang
Do you live in London?

bit random lol
Original post by ph9Warad

He got a medal in the Kayley of year 7.
Reply 13
He got a medal in the Kayley of year 7.

Damn bro has serious talent I thought I was good at maths. He can probably give gcse maths already then
Reply 14

But not impossible. If the student has shown they can do well on the SMC past papers why not?
Original post by JHK101
But not impossible. If the student has shown they can do well on the SMC past papers why not?

The IMC gives an opportunity to get on the Summer school so it should be the focus.

My son did the SMC in year nine qualifying for the BMO1 and getting a distinction ( local comprehension school not London) . They did this because he had qualified and got medals in the JMO and IMO .
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Sommer2000
My son did the SMC in year nine qualifying for the BMO1 and getting a distinction ( local comprehension school not London) . They did this because he had qualified and got medals in the JMO and IMO .

Good for him.

Mine did the SMC in year 9 and got to the kangaroo. He did it again in year 10 and got to BMO1 and BMO2.
Reply 18
Original post by JHK101

this talent is rare tho
Reply 19
People on this forum are usually dedicated students, even in a grammer school nobody made BMO in year 12 can you believe it, this is why ususlly i say SMC is not a realistic aim. I myself did it in year 10 and got 76 4 marks of kangeroo all becuase i gt a simple pythagorous question wrong in the first five

Quick Reply

Latest