The Student Room Group

Should I get this pet?

Scroll to see replies

I have a pet hedgehog. Amazing pets if you know what you're doing, but they're exotic animals and do need rather more than your bog standard cute small mammal.

If you really are interested, join the 'African Pygmy Hedgehog Club UK' page on Facebook, it's full of people who know what they're doing.
The Hedgehog Society is a UK based website that promotes the interests of Hedgehogs. I doubt very much anyone on there would be too happy if they knew someone wanted to have one as a pet. They are wild animals and that's where they belong.
Sorry, The British Hedgehog Preservation Society.
Original post by markova21
The Hedgehog Society is a UK based website that promotes the interests of Hedgehogs. I doubt very much anyone on there would be too happy if they knew someone wanted to have one as a pet. They are wild animals and that's where they belong.

African pygmy hedgehogs are exotic animals kept as pets. They're not European hedgehogs.
Reply 44
Original post by ChickenMadness
It's not that. They start marking their territory at night (hedgehogs). It smells sooooooo bad. Used to not get any sleep when I slept round my gfs house cus of the hedgehog lmao.

Oh, that makes more since. I will keep that in mind if I do get one. Sorry if I seemed rude to you.
Reply 45
When they are threatened they stick out their backs and show their back while hissing and jumping towards you. But if they do make contact it doesn't really hurt. It is just something that makes you think you don't want to mess with them (that they might hurt you) so other animals back off.
Original post by AnJeanae
Oh, that makes more since. I will keep that in mind if I do get one. Sorry if I seemed rude to you.

Also you can't really build trust with them like dogs. They stay pretty wild forever and will bite you if they're annoyed and you try playing with them. Have to catch them in a good mood if you want to pick them up and do stuff with them.
Reply 47
Original post by ChickenMadness
Also you can't really build trust with them like dogs. They stay pretty wild forever and will bite you if they're annoyed and you try playing with them. Have to catch them in a good mood if you want to pick them up and do stuff with them.

Are you sure that it just want her animal that was like that? Because when I looked up on youtube one person said that every hedgehog has their own personality. But I will definatly keep that in mind.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
African pygmy hedgehogs are exotic animals kept as pets. They're not European hedgehogs.

Ah OK.
Original post by AnJeanae
Are you sure that it just want her animal that was like that? Because when I looked up on youtube one person said that every hedgehog has their own personality. But I will definatly keep that in mind.

Every hedgehog does have its on personality. When I got Pippa from the breeder she was immediately extremely friendly. The only time she huffed and quilled up was when you made sudden movements in front of her. It all depends on the hedgie :h:
Reply 50
OMG, hedgehogs are so cute! Seriously, just get one, its be a unique experience :rofl2:
Whatever pet you get make sure you insure it - if it is a hedgehog then you will need to insure with exotic direct - they are the only insurance company in the UK who insure exotics and that is what your hedgehog will be termed as - they are the only company in the uk who insure guinea pigs (and you wouldn't think of them as being exotic ) - I have 4 guinea pigs and it costs me £15 a month per pig - so if you can't afford the cost of feeding and housing and the insurance then you really should think twice about getting one as a pet - vets bills can be horrendous - £350 for a bladder stone removal on a guinea pig with surgery and x rays etc - in the 7 years I have kept guinea pigs my vets bills have come to over £5500, nothing for a few years then as they get older all sorts of things come along.
Original post by markova21
Ah OK.

It's something I have to explain a lot :tongue: Many people seem to think I wandered into the garden and just picked up a hedgehog!

Aside from the fact keeping European hedgehogs as pets is illegal, they're different in appearance and very different in their care. For example, African pygmy hedgehogs have to be kept at a stable temperature of ~23/24 degrees and hibernation attempts can be fatal.

I would never recommend someone to get a pet on adorability factor alone, but they are pretty damned cute :B
Original post by TattyBoJangles
It's something I have to explain a lot :tongue: Many people seem to think I wandered into the garden and just picked up a hedgehog!

Aside from the fact keeping European hedgehogs as pets is illegal, they're different in appearance and very different in their care. For example, African pygmy hedgehogs have to be kept at a stable temperature of ~23/24 degrees and hibernation attempts can be fatal.

I would never recommend someone to get a pet on adorability factor alone, but they are pretty damned cute :B

Thanks for the explanation. I've always wanted a pet pig. I mean a "proper" pig that grows into a huge mama sow. They're highly intelligent. I always say if I won the Lottery I would buy a house with a bit of land and have a pet pig. [ And maybe a pet donkey, goat and sheep too] !!

Quick Reply

Latest