The Student Room Group

Worried about relationship breaking?!?

My boyfriend and I been together 18 months and we’ve lived together in our own flat for 12 months. We love each other dearly and in our own space we have our pet names, and do weird cringe couple **** when we’re together - that no one else could understand apart from us.

We’ve moved back in with my parents ( as of today) in an effort to save money to move to buy our own house - which if we’re being honest might be for another 3 years.

But I’m so sad, I have a great sadness. We are obviously not going to be able to do our cringe couple pet names and walk around the kitchen naked. Even though my parents will give us privacy it’s just not going to be the same. I’m worried it’ll ruin our relationship and no amount of money saved could replace our cuteness. We wanted move out because we don’t want to rent but in hindsight there’s no shame in renting?!?

I’m just worried because we are 24 and surely the next 3 years should be enjoying our relationship and not feeling like we’re on tentahooks at my parents.

I know loads of people move back in with parents for the same reasons but I’m feeling vulnerable and scared - my boyfriend also feels scared.

I guess we can just move out whenever
Reply 1
Is your relationship really just about cringe pet names and being naked in the kitchen or is it more than that?

That said, you've made a brave if risky move. Both me or my wife would end up committing murder or worse if we moved in with our respective in-laws.

Keep talking because a good relationship ultimately is about communication, not cringe per name calling.
Reply 2
Living with your parents as an adult in a relationship is not a great idea. However if it’s a jointly agreed temporary strategy to achieve your goals then you can live with the downsides
Reply 3
Original post by hotpud
Is your relationship really just about cringe pet names and being naked in the kitchen or is it more than that?

That said, you've made a brave if risky move. Both me or my wife would end up committing murder or worse if we moved in with our respective in-laws.

Keep talking because a good relationship ultimately is about communication, not cringe per name calling.

No of course it’s a lot more than that, my point being is that we just won’t have the luxury of being as affectionate etc - but it’s a good point, we can get through if especially if In the long run it’s for our future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending