The Student Room Group

Getting rid of fruitflies

How do you get rid of fruit flies in my apartment?
Reply 2
The can be awkward blitters to get rid of once there’s an infestation. It’s about getting rid of any decaying food and liquid food wastes
i would place all cooked food and fruits in the refrigerator, then see if the flies are gone
Reply 4
Ninja fruit fly traps are brilliant, in my experience
Figure out where they are coming from, and resolve that issue. Then over time as you swat them and/or they fly out windows, the problem will solve itself.

Invariably the issue is there is some accessible food source leading them to procreate and continue feeding off the food source. As above, make sure all your foodstuffs are properly stored and not left out in the open (including fruit), and also ensure your bin is sealed properly when not in use. Avoid leaving dirty dishes around and make sure the sink is cleaned out once you've used it.
Original post by aveerue
How do you get rid of fruit flies in my apartment?

I just smash them with a flyswatter one to another. If you have no flyswatter at home, take the newspapers!
Reply 7
First you have to get rid of whatever rotting fruit is in the flat.

Then you get a bowl of water and add a few spoons of red or white wine vinegar and a couple of drops of washing up liquid.

The flies will all be attracted by the vinegar and the washing up liquid reduces the surface tension of the water so they don't skate on the top of it and can't get out.

Leave it there a day or two and they should all be gone.

Quick Reply

Latest