The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele Uni or Winchester- Geography

Hi,

Atm I am deciding where to go to uni. Other than being stressed and slightly confused, I still need to make a decision.
I have a few questions - if anyone can answer them, please let me know!
General:
1st- does the ranking of the uni matter?
2nd- is a geography degree recognised as a 'geography degree' no matter where you go?
3rd- does having a higher percentage of course work compared to exams take pressure off completely?

Keele:
1st- how is the nighlife?
2nd-best accomidation for a party animal?
3rd- does Keele offer good support in each degree?
4th- how big is the geography degree (student wise)

Winchester:

1st- how is the nightlife?
2nd- does Winchester offer many sports?
3rd- is there a lot of funding for the geography course?
4th- those who go/went to Winchester - did it offer everything that you wanted?

Sorry for all the questions! I just need to know in order to make my decision.

Reply 1
Original post by zozo1658
Hi,

Atm I am deciding where to go to uni. Other than being stressed and slightly confused, I still need to make a decision.
General:
2nd- is a geography degree recognised as a 'geography degree' no matter where you go?
3rd- does having a higher percentage of course work compared to exams take pressure off completely?

Keele:

Winchester:

Hey! I'm a first year Human Geography student at Keele (although I have done some physical geography modules too!)

All I can say is that I've absolutely loved it so far. My geography modules in first year have been quite broad but fantastic at recapping stuff you do in sixth form and also introducing new material which is much more interesting. The lecturers are also amazing!

In my opinion the overall ranking of the uni doesn't matter too much (although I think Keele is in top 50) but the subject ranking can be more important - Keele is 8th for geography according to the Guardian.

Having more coursework definitely helps make exam period less stressful as long as you try to spread out deadlines for essays etc. I only have 1 exam this semester and only had 2 last semester!

Keele nightlife is pretty much based at the SU because the local area isn't great - there's a few places in Newcastle-under-lyme and larger nightclubs in Hanley but pretty much everyone goes to the SU on campus because it's cheap and minutes walk from the accommodation. The SU does book good live acts and has several bars and I'd say it's one of the best in the country. Carnage happens twice a year which is when 1000s of students from Keele/Staffs/MMU go to all the clubs and bars in Hanley wearing a tshirt which is the ticket and that's always a good night! Manchester is also not far on the train and can be v cheap! You will probably find you go out more at Keele than you would at other unis because getting to the SU is so convenient!

If you're a party animal I'd say don't bother with ensuite accommodation. The ensuite accom I'm in this year is very boring as nice as it is. I'd say Horwood/Barnes/Lindsay blocks are the place to be as you share with more people and I've always had a great time when I've gone there for pre-drinks. HOWEVER I did stay in ensuite during my foundation year and ended up with a good bunch of people who were always up for going out, but unfortunately it's the complete opposite this year. I'd say in non-ensuite you guaranteed to find people on your level

I think my year has between 100-120 students doing Geography which is a lot but you can always get individual support in your tutorial groups or by speaking with lecturers who are generally free to help

Hope this helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by lemxn
Hey! I'm a first year Human Geography student at Keele (although I have done some physical geography modules too!)

All I can say is that I've absolutely loved it so far. My geography modules in first year have been quite broad but fantastic at recapping stuff you do in sixth form and also introducing new material which is much more interesting. The lecturers are also amazing!

In my opinion the overall ranking of the uni doesn't matter too much (although I think Keele is in top 50) but the subject ranking can be more important - Keele is 8th for geography according to the Guardian.

Having more coursework definitely helps make exam period less stressful as long as you try to spread out deadlines for essays etc. I only have 1 exam this semester and only had 2 last semester!

Keele nightlife is pretty much based at the SU because the local area isn't great - there's a few places in Newcastle-under-lyme and larger nightclubs in Hanley but pretty much everyone goes to the SU on campus because it's cheap and minutes walk from the accommodation. The SU does book good live acts and has several bars and I'd say it's one of the best in the country. Carnage happens twice a year which is when 1000s of students from Keele/Staffs/MMU go to all the clubs and bars in Hanley wearing a tshirt which is the ticket and that's always a good night! Manchester is also not far on the train and can be v cheap! You will probably find you go out more at Keele than you would at other unis because getting to the SU is so convenient!

If you're a party animal I'd say don't bother with ensuite accommodation. The ensuite accom I'm in this year is very boring as nice as it is. I'd say Horwood/Barnes/Lindsay blocks are the place to be as you share with more people and I've always had a great time when I've gone there for pre-drinks. HOWEVER I did stay in ensuite during my foundation year and ended up with a good bunch of people who were always up for going out, but unfortunately it's the complete opposite this year. I'd say in non-ensuite you guaranteed to find people on your level

I think my year has between 100-120 students doing Geography which is a lot but you can always get individual support in your tutorial groups or by speaking with lecturers who are generally free to help

Hope this helps!

Great answer @lemxn :yep:
Original post by zozo1658
Hi,

General:

Keele:

Winchester:

Heyyy!!! im a first year at Winchester Uni, iim doing Accounting and Finance but i can answer some of your questions:

The Student Union partys are a bit of a mix, theres BOP every wednesday which most people go to and its like a year 6 party with booze added to it! its quite fun if youre very drunk :rofl: they hold themed events which is fun too, like foam parties, silent discos ect.

the nightife here is quite sh*t, Winchester is a v posh little town and therefore has more cafes and pubs than anything else. There is one nighclub called Vodka, but its quite bad.
The best nights are at Pitcher and Piano which is a pub which has club nights for students on thursdays and Fridays- its free entry and lots of fun to! if not then the next option are nightout in Southampton, which is great for night out and theres a strip of clubs - very fun indeed, the train there is only 10 mins too!

Re, sports they do offer loads of sports that you join in and have many soc's too, you just have to find the one for you. Ive joined the basketball soc and its sooo fun! you go to BOP with your socs and you go as a theme in your soc- so thats always fun too haha

so regarding the course itself, i dont know much about the Geography course but thier staff is amazing- like ive gotten so much help off of them and never had a problem either.

Winch was my insurance and they wanted BBB, i BBC and go into the uni.
i didnt get the room i wanted as my offer was late however I got this really nice appartment i share with one other girl off campus as all the ones on campus where taken. But i do have many friends who live on campus and the accomadation is quite nice!! Its a block of flats where theres about 30 of us here, two per flat- quite cotch

if you need any more help feel free to pm me!!

im telling you know that winchester has lots of hills and theres a lot of walking too!!!!!! no one warned me that winchester was built on something like mt everest! the walk to uni is all up hill! and the inclines are quite high too!!!! dont let that put you off though- ive got super muscley legs now :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest