The Student Room Group

FP4 Transformation matrix

For number 6c) I get that F is clockwise rotation for the signs but how do I know which factor to take out as an enlargement scale factor?
Original post by liemluji
For number 6c) I get that F is clockwise rotation for the signs but how do I know which factor to take out as an enlargement scale factor?

det BA will give the area scale factor, and the square root of that will give the linear scale factor, since the area of a square will change by det BA, and consequently the lengths of the sides by the square root.
Reply 3
Original post by atsruser
det BA will give the area scale factor, and the square root of that will give the linear scale factor, since the area of a square will change by det BA, and consequently the lengths of the sides by the square root.

Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!

You can also see that you can decompose BA like so:

BA=2C=2IC=2(1001)C=(2002)CBA = 2 C = 2 IC = 2 \begin{pmatrix} 1 && 0 \\ 0 && 1 \end{pmatrix} C = \begin{pmatrix} 2 && 0 \\ 0 && 2 \end{pmatrix} C

where C is the matrix BA with elements divided by 2. This then gives you the matrices of the enlargement and whatever transformation is done by C. That may already be clear to you though.

Quick Reply

Latest