The Student Room Group

Medicine Advice

Hi all,

I currently have a BSc (1:1), MRes (Distinction) and a PhD (Nanomedicine & Nanotechnolgoy). I'm looking at continuing on to do medicine and was hoping for some advice for people who have gone down a similar route. My only issue is most require a chemistry A-level, but I only have A*A*A* in Biology, Psychology and ICT. Although a large amount of my PhD encompassed inorganic chemistry.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks lot.
I believe the Chemistry A Level would only be required if you applied for the 5 year course rather than the 4 year GEM course? If you were applying for the 5 year courses you would need Chemistry A Level, (except for Norwich medical school which needs Biology + 1 other science, although looking at your A Levels you'd be in the same boat with them anyway).

If you do want to apply for the 5 year course then contact the admissions departments in advance and explain, most will let you apply and give you a conditional offer if successful. So you could apply for the 2018/19 academic year, and do your Chemistry A Level in 1 year this year (take exams Summer 2018). You would need to look into a course to gain the Chemistry practical accreditation.

I think funding is the main barrier for people with a degree applying for the 5 year course though.
Research literally all the unis that offer graduate medicine and if in doubt contact unis and ask them, is all i can say. I think you probably do still have a fair few options.
Some GEM universities do not require Chemistry A level, for example, Swansea, Warwick, SGUL, Nottingham and Newcastle, and probably a few others. So the choice is either do the A level at night school (although it can be hard to find courses, since labs cannot be done by distance learning) or apply only to schools that do not require it.

FYI I asked Cambridge if they would consider me without Chem A level since I have studied there before, but they said they couldn't make an exception and I would have to take the night school option if I wanted to apply there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending