The Student Room Group

Change in variables of double integrals

The question is find Px2+y2 dxdy\displaystyle\int \displaystyle\int_{P} x^2+y^2\ dxdy for the parallelogram bound by the equations x+y=1x+y=1, x+y=2x+y=2, 3x+4y=53x+4y=5 and 3x+4y=63x+4y=6.

What I've done so far is find a sketch and the coordinates of the vertices which are (-2,3), (-1,2), (2,0) and (-1,3).

Basically I've been given a series of double integrals by an academic but I don't think they realised that we're meant to use a change of variable.

121x(63x)/4 x2+y2dxdy\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{-2} \displaystyle\int_{1-x}^{(6-3x)/4}\ x^2+y^2 dxdy +

12(53x)/4(63x)/4 x2+y2dxdy\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{2} \displaystyle\int_{(5-3x)/4}^{(6-3x)/4}\ x^2+y^2 dxdy +

And there is also another integral but latex won't let me type it up because its dangerous apparently... either way this approach is futile because the integrals give expressions which appear far too long.

For a change in variable, what would I put as u and v? I'm trying u=x+yu=x+y and v=3x+4yv=3x+4y but I'm not sure what to do next. Would it result in 1 double integral opposed to 3?
Original post by TajwarC
The question is find Px2+y2 dxdy\displaystyle\int \displaystyle\int_{P} x^2+y^2\ dxdy for the parallelogram bound by the equations x+y=1x+y=1, x+y=2x+y=2, 3x+4y=53x+4y=5 and 3x+4y=63x+4y=6.

For a change in variable, what would I put as u and v? I'm trying u=x+yu=x+y and v=3x+4yv=3x+4y but I'm not sure what to do next. Would it result in 1 double integral opposed to 3?

That looks sensible, as it will give you constant limits in (u,v)(u,v) space. These will be easier to integrate with. The Jacobian is also straightforward to calculate. And yes, you will have 1 double integral.
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser
That looks sensible, as it will give you constant limits in (u,v)(u,v) space. These will be easier to integrate with. The Jacobian is also straightforward to calculate. And yes, you will have 1 double integral.

I've calculated the Jacobian as 1 and have this:

(4uv)2+(v3u)2dudv\displaystyle\int \displaystyle\int \ (4u-v)^2+(v-3u)^2 dudv

How do I find the limits?
Reply 3
Original post by TajwarC
I've calculated the Jacobian as 1 and have this:

(4uv)2+(v3u)2dudv\displaystyle\int \displaystyle\int \ (4u-v)^2+(v-3u)^2 dudv

How do I find the limits?

In your original post you say what u and v vary between.
Reply 4
Original post by RichE
In your original post you say what u and v vary between.

well 1u21 \leq u\leq 2 and 5v65 \leq v\leq 6

which gives:

5612 (4uv)2+(v3u)2dudv\displaystyle\int_{5}^{6} \displaystyle\int_{1}^{2} \ (4u-v)^2+(v-3u)^2 dudv

but aren't the inner integral limits meant to be in terms of v and not constants? Or is my actual integrand wrong?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TajwarC
well 1u21 \leq u\leq 2 and 5v65 \leq v\leq 6

which gives:

5612 (4uv)2+(v3u)2dudv\displaystyle\int_{5}^{6} \displaystyle\int_{1}^{2} \ (4u-v)^2+(v-3u)^2 dudv

but aren't the inner integral limits meant to be in terms of v and not constants? Or is my actual integrand wrong?

Your limits are functions of v, just constant functions.

What would your limits be if you integrated using x and y over the unit square?
Reply 6
Original post by RichE
Your limits are functions of v, just constant functions.

What would your limits be if you integrated using x and y over the unit square?

So with those limits I got the answer as 7/2.

The limits for an integral for x and y over a region is where most of my confusion lies, I don't know how to find them.

Given 1yx2y1-y \leq x\leq 2-y

My guess would be the inner limits being x=0 to 2-y and the outer ones being y=0 to 2?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TajwarC

The limits for an integral for x and y over a region is where most of my confusion lies, I don't know how to find them.

Given 1yx2y1-y \leq x\leq 2-y

My guess would be the inner limits being x=0 to 2-y and the outer ones being y=0 to 2?

I wasn't talking about for this region, I said the unit square or any square or rectangle with sides parallel to the axes.
Reply 8
Original post by RichE
I wasn't talking about for this region, I said the unit square or any square or rectangle with sides parallel to the axes.

They'd both be 0 to 1 for a unit square?
Reply 9
Original post by TajwarC
They'd both be 0 to 1 for a unit square?

Exactly. And in a similar fashion here this parallelogram you are integrating over has sides parallel to the u and v axes.
Reply 10
Original post by RichE
Exactly. And in a similar fashion here this parallelogram you are integrating over has sides parallel to the u and v axes.

Ah yes it has clicked now. I appreciate your help

Quick Reply

Latest