rate of change of a population is given by the formula dP/dt = 2P
time is t
given initial population in P0 is 1000 find the expression for P in terms of t
Original post by lena657391
how would you do this??

rate of change of a population is given by the formula dP/dt = 2P
time is t
given initial population in P0 is 1000 find the expression for P in terms of t

This is a first order differential equation of the type that can be solved by separation of variables. Can I suggest that you check "first order differential equation" and "separation of variables" in you textbook or notes? Then have a go and post your working if stuck.
Reply 2
Original post by old_engineer
This is a first order differential equation of the type that can be solved by separation of variables. Can I suggest that you check "first order differential equation" and "separation of variables" in you textbook or notes? Then have a go and post your working if stuck.

i know the method but i am stuck on the last step : ln |2p| = t + ln |2000|
i know the method but i am stuck on the last step : ln |2p| = t + ln |2000|

First you need to check that left hand side, as the integral of (1 / 2P) is not ln(2P).

But then, once you have the equation in the form ln(something) = kt + c, you can take the exponential of both sides to give you:

something = e^(kt + c) = e^(kt) x e^(c) = Ae^(kt)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Don't mind me butting in, but I got ln(2P) = 2t +ln(2000) [Multiplied both sides by 2 to get rid of the halves] ... and I took exponentials to make 2P the subject....
2P = e^(2t +ln(2000)).
So P = 1/2 e^(2t+ln(2000))

This seems a little clunky... Although it is technically an expression for P in terms of t.... any simplifying I could do?
First you need to check that left hand side, as the integral of (1 / 2P) is not ln(2P).

But then, once you have the equation in the form ln(something) = kt + c, you can take the exponential of both sides to give you:

something = e^(kt + c) = e^(kt) x e^(c) = Ae^(kt)
Reply 5
Original post by PrathHere
Don't mind me butting in, but I got ln(2P) = 2t +ln(2000) [Multiplied both sides by 2 to get rid of the halves] ... and I took exponentials to make 2P the subject....
2P = e^(2t +ln(2000)).

This seems a little clunky... Although it is technically an expression for P in terms of t.... any simplifying I could do?

That's what i just worked out, Then you can rearrange to get P=1000e^2t but i don't know if its right as the answer is supposed to be P= e^(2t+20√10)
Original post by PrathHere
2P = e^(2t +ln(2000)).

You could note that e^(2t + ln(2000)) = e^(2t) x e^(ln(2000)) = Ae^(2t)
Reply 7
You could note that e^(2t + ln(2000)) = e^(2t) x e^(ln(2000)) = Ae^(2t)

How come the answer is written as P= e^(2t+20√10)

If you put t = 0 in that formula, I don't think you'll get P0 = 1000.
Reply 9
Thats what it said on a vid i watched... What would your final answer be?
Reply 10
If you put t = 0 in that formula, I don't think you'll get P0 = 1000.

i got P=1000e^2t ?
i got P=1000e^2t ?

That looks good to me. It will give you P0 = 1000 as required by the initial condition. Also, you can check to make sure that dP/dt = 2P, as required by the given differential equation.
Reply 12

Are you absolutely sure it didn't say e^(2t + 3ln10) because e^(3ln10) = e^(ln1000) = 1000 ?

Quick Reply

Latest