The Student Room Group

Harvard plan 'blacks only' graduation ceremony - "It's not about segregation".

Scroll to see replies

Original post by corollas2
Black people can't segregate themselves when they're the ones marginalised in society.

How can a white person/ another person of colour partake in an event that is designed to celebrate the success of black americans in prestigious education?

That's such an utterly backwards-thinking mindset.
Original post by ugaaa5
That's such an utterly backwards-thinking mindset.

Not an argument.
What if you're mixed race and look more white than black. Are they not allowed in? lol

'murica is so racist lmao.

****ing lol @ 'muricans

3rd world country for real.
Original post by 999tigger
What has that got to do with the article? you do realise the OP has twisted it as he usually does. Its no different than the story last week where the 15 black male students who got into Cambridge took the photo together.

The discussion has strayed from topic because many posters keep suggesting that the solution to racism is that "my people" and "your people" stick together when in actual fact the quicker people realise that everyone is fundamentally the same and has very similar aspirations we can start tackling racism with a single minded determination.
Original post by futuresomething
They dont understand because they havent been through the struggle (they caused it)

Current white people havent caused it, but yes, many lack the understanding. People need to learn to appreciate that black people are doing well instead of crying about how they arent allowed in to an event for black celebration.
There's no point man. Many white people struggle to understand the socio-economic and racial struggles that marginalised groups such as black people face when trying to make it in life. They preach progressiveness whilst ignoring the racist system.

Black americans still have the surnames of their ancestors slave owners and even today, they ask for a simple celebration and coming together, and they are defamed because apparently it's segregation.

So the blacks that do keep their "slave owners'" surnames... hate themselves?
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
The discussion has strayed from topic because many posters keep suggesting that the solution to racism is that "my people" and "your people" stick together when in actual fact the quicker people realise that everyone is fundamentally the same and has very similar aspirations we can start tackling racism with a single minded determination.

That sounds all good and its the ultimate goal but we are a long way from that. African Americans are still significantly poorer and racially discriminated under a system that has oppressed them for 100s of years until about 30 years ago. Until then, black empowerment is one way of bringing the black community together and teaching the importance of progress.
They dont understand because they havent been through the struggle (they caused it)

Are you a YouTuber?

Why do assume I'm white ? Even better questions why does being white somehow undermine the message against racism.

I'm from an minority background who constantly face racial abuse in the UK however I choose to react by seeking unity to marginalise racism rather than clambering together with "my people " .

I don't feel like I should defend my position by stating I'm not white but sometimes your hand is forced.
Original post by ChickenMadness
What if you're mixed race and look more white than black. Are they not allowed in? lol

'murica is so racist lmao.

****ing lol @ 'muricans

3rd world country for real.

If you have but one speck of whiteness in you, I'm afraid you will be sitting at the back and will only get your certificate once you've paid reparations.
Current white people havent caused it, but yes, many lack the understanding. People need to learn to appreciate that black people are doing well instead of crying about how they arent allowed in to an event for black celebration.

They're like the only ethnic group that do this stuff lol.
Original post by Dodgypirate
So the blacks that do keep their "slave owners'" surnames... hate themselves?

Who said they hate themselves? Wtf? Weak Straw man.

They were stripped of their culture and heritage by white/european people and lost all their identity. When they were freed, the only thing they had was their slave owners surnames. This is basic history really.

I'm not white, I'm from a minority background in the UK, one that faces its fair share of problems but the answer remains to unite rather than group together. When ever someone calls for progressive ideas posters assume they are white and have all the privileges, an racist viewpoint in its own right.
They're like the only ethnic group that do this stuff lol.

African americans are also the only ethnic group to directly descend from slaves, descend from people who lived through generations of segregation laws and finally become free recently.
African americans are also the only ethnic group to directly descend from slaves, descend from people who lived through generations of segregation laws and finally become free recently.

Not true lol. This shits happened all over the world and is still happenning. Slavery hasn't ended.
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
I'm not white, I'm from a minority background in the UK, one that faces its fair share of problems but the answer remains to unite rather than group together. When ever someone calls for progressive ideas posters assume they are white and have all the privileges, an racist viewpoint in its own right.

I dont care if you're not white. Other ethnic minorities can be just as bigoted and this isnt exactly going to validate your argument.

Progressive ideas? So are african american harvard students just meant to forget the fact that their ancestors were slaves, they grew up in poorer areas and their race as a collective suffered for many years and suddenly they are representing themselves in somewhere like harvard?
Pirate is totally triggered these days. #RIPLePen
Not true lol. This shits happened all over the world and is still happenning. Slavery hasn't ended.

It didnt affect any other group as vastly as it did to african americans, almost all african americans descend from slaves.

If there's a slave trade occurring in an organised gang in a place like belgium (really does happen btw), does that mean white people are all affected? Your logic makes no sense.

They were stripped of their culture and heritage by white/european people and lost all their identity. When they were freed, the only thing they had was their slave owners surnames. This is basic history really.

I'm not denying history, I'm just wondering why so many of them keep their "slave" surnames?

Let me introduce you to the Arab Slave Trade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending