The Student Room Group

New Driver Insurance

I just checked my quote, and the minimum monthly premium is £400! I can't join any of the family insurance plans (for some reason), so I have to put it under my name, which I thought wasn't a problem, but apparently, that's what makes it expensive.

So, what do I do? I was expecting £1,000 to £2,000 a year, not £5,000! 😭😭😭
(edited 7 months ago)
Have you considered some of the insurance offers that involve things like having a black box in your car? These often lower new driver insurance. There are also cheaper options that require restrictions such as not driving at night or with more than a set number of passengers but I don't know how this would work for you?
What car and mileage is this quote for?
Reply 3
Original post by ScoobyZazzy
I just checked my quote, and the minimum monthly premium is £400! I can't join any of the family insurance plans (for some reason), so I have to put it under my name, which I thought wasn't a problem, but apparently, that's what makes it expensive.

Have you named a parent as a second driver? What sort of car is it?

DO NOT get a black box
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
What car and mileage is this quote for?

vauxhall crosa and I think 51000 mileage
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79

DO NOT get a black box

no I haven't its all under my name and vauxhall crosa and I think 51000 mileage
Reply 6

DO NOT get a black box

why not get a black box?
Reply 7
no I haven't its all under my name and vauxhall crosa and I think 51000 mileage

Try doing this - that's what my son did and it cut the quote. What engine has the corsa got?
Reply 8
why not get a black box?

Because they are awful and you will regret it.
Reply 9

right then ill just take your word for it
right then ill just take your word for it

If you search on here you will find many posts about the problems -

meh i disagree, i got one and forget that i even have it, and i still got good driving score.

only issue i have with it is it tracks ur mileage so whatever you declared can go against you later on
Original post by Fibonacci28
Have you considered some of the insurance offers that involve things like having a black box in your car? These often lower new driver insurance. There are also cheaper options that require restrictions such as not driving at night or with more than a set number of passengers but I don't know how this would work for you?

I wouldnt advise a black box. Complete heaps of **** if you ask me. Wouldnt touch one with a 10 foot barge pole.

Try adding people like your parents as named drivers (you still the main driver though).
Try different cars.
Try altering things like where you keep the car at night (e.g. on the street, on the drive etc).
Original post by MoDesignss
meh i disagree, i got one and forget that i even have it, and i still got good driving score.

only issue i have with it is it tracks ur mileage so whatever you declared can go against you later on

Everyone says their blackbox is great, right up until their insurance is cancelled or they need to make a claim. If it worked for you I'm genuinely glad for you but as a driver I'd never recommend them, it makes an already unbalanced relationship positively one sided.
Original post by StriderHort
Everyone says their blackbox is great, right up until their insurance is cancelled or they need to make a claim. If it worked for you I'm genuinely glad for you but as a driver I'd never recommend them, it makes an already unbalanced relationship positively one sided.

thats fair enough, cant argue with that
Reply 16

As a new driver, even with a group 1 insurance car, you will be looking at about £1,800 min whatever you do, even with a black box. A couple of years ago you could get it for just over £1,000, but it has gone up a lot lately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending