The Student Room Group

Car insurance new drivers

Can anyone recommend or have experienced a car insurance company I have been struggling to get a cheap quote I can't find anything under 3000£ I don't know what seems to be the issue.
Original post by ati1010
Can anyone recommend or have experienced a car insurance company I have been struggling to get a cheap quote I can't find anything under 3000£ I don't know what seems to be the issue.

There’s no insurance company that can be singled out as the cheapest as quotes are based on many factors such as your age, type of car, mileage, where you keep your car, excess and where you live. My suggestion is go on to a comparison site and try different quotes for a range of cars. Try to go for the smallest and most eco friendly car that you are happy to drive. Look on google for cars which come under ‘insurance group 1”. These are usually the cars which are cheapest to insure.
Original post by ati1010

Car insurance for new drivers is always expensive.
We cant really recommend a specific insurance company- some companies may be cheap for one person but expensive for another.
The best thing to do is get quotes from a lot of different companies. Try comparison sites. Also try companies like direct line and aviva who arent on comparison sites.
Also add experienced drivers such as your parents as named drivers (obviously with you still as the main driver).
Reply 3
Try a decent broker to help. I rate A Plan Insurance, being renamed Howden, which have a good High St presence, reducing call centre frustration as well. There’s no doubt though insurance for new drives is exorbitant and premiums are on the rise anyway
Reply 4
Original post by ati1010

What car have you got? Are you putting a parent as a second driver? We did a multi-car deal with LV.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
What car have you got? Are you putting a parent as a second driver? We did a multi-car deal with LV.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago Renault Clio Extreme 2005 and yes I did try to put in a scend /additional driver but guess what the quote goes to £7k from 3k that's the thing that Idk what to do.
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
Try a decent broker to help. I rate A Plan Insurance, being renamed Howden, which have a good High St presence, reducing call centre frustration as well. There’s no doubt though insurance for new drives is exorbitant and premiums are on the rise anyway

I will give them a call if they can help me find a suitable quote that would be great.
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
Car insurance for new drivers is always expensive.
We cant really recommend a specific insurance company- some companies may be cheap for one person but expensive for another.
The best thing to do is get quotes from a lot of different companies. Try comparison sites. Also try companies like direct line and aviva who arent on comparison sites.
Also add experienced drivers such as your parents as named drivers (obviously with you still as the main driver).

Well, I have tried every single comparison site but can not find anything under £3k also when I put in a second driver the quote goes to £7k. After so much research I found a company called Marmalade they have different types of insurance like pay-as-you-go black box which's about £1630 for 1000 miles per year the first time that's how much you have to pay and the second time you have to pay £270 if you want to renew the policy for 1000 miles again.
Reply 8
Unfortunately, I bought the car two weeks ago also as you said it might be your age that's true I changed the dob year from 2006 to 1997 to just check and I got a quote of about £1700. Now I found a company called Marmalade they gave me a quote it is PAYG which costs £1630 for 1000 miles per year and the renewal is cheaper it is £270 for 1000 miles.
Original post by ati1010
Well, I have tried every single comparison site but can not find anything under £3k also when I put in a second driver the quote goes to £7k. After so much research I found a company called Marmalade they have different types of insurance like pay-as-you-go black box which's about £1630 for 1000 miles per year the first time that's how much you have to pay and the second time you have to pay £270 if you want to renew the policy for 1000 miles again.

For new drivers, it's not unusual to pay that much in the first year. New drivers are a lot more likely to have an accident. Once you have been driving for a year and have a years no claims the price will start to go down quite a bit.
Don't go for the black box though. They are nothing but trouble. They really are a pain in the arse. I would go into detail but I'd be here all day. They should be banned.
Original post by ati1010
Unfortunately, I bought the car two weeks ago also as you said it might be your age that's true I changed the dob year from 2006 to 1997 to just check and I got a quote of about £1700. Now I found a company called Marmalade they gave me a quote it is PAYG which costs £1630 for 1000 miles per year and the renewal is cheaper it is £270 for 1000 miles.

What size engine has that car got?
Original post by ati1010
I changed the dob year from 2006 to 1997

I have a feeling the comparison sites note when you do stuff like this and it has an effect of the quotes you get for a while. I've done the same and after a point just got nonsense quotes, obv something had significantly changed if z,y,x insurer were willing to cover me on day 1 and not on day 2 and the prices for most of the others rocketed, I'd defo done something behind the scenes to move into a v high risk category and I suspect it was because I wasn't giving consistent details.
Reply 12
Buying insurance "on the day" is also very expensive. Try getting quotes for 3 weeks away and you'll see a drop. Obviously, you can't drive or keep the car on the road until it's insured and you'll need to file a SORN.
Reply 13
Try to make your quote for two month away . Usually close date raise price and remember this for next year. Marmalade its cheaper because they had low rating . If you don't need more than 2000~3000 use them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending