The Student Room Group

Self-Teaching AQA A level Biology, AQA Chemistry and EDEXCEL Maths in one year.

Hello,
I'm currently just about to finish my first year of college with these subjects which I really just did to pass time, English language, economics and business along with retaking my GCSE maths. I've now achieved an A in the maths exam which I took in November and my previous grade was a C which limited me from doing the subjects which I really wanted/needed. I've talked to my teachers at college and they are saying I can't "with the college" do the A-levels within a one year period however, I can do them externally as a private candidate. My only question has anyone else done this before and can it be done? I've heard the science exams have a practical test which has to be done for AQA.

Any other information would be useful,
Reply 1
Well with the new specifications for science and maths A-levels it will be very difficult to do all the content in a year. I have never done this, and perhaps others have, but you need to understand that they probably did different specs and the new specs are more complex so it will be harder for you to relate to them.
Reply 2
Original post by Psychedeliyaa
Well with the new specifications for science and maths A-levels it will be very difficult to do all the content in a year. I have never done this, and perhaps others have, but you need to understand that they probably did different specs and the new specs are more complex so it will be harder for you to relate to them.

I understand. Does the content have more detail, or is it overall more difficult to learn and understand?
Original post by CharliesUK
Hello,
I'm currently just about to finish my first year of college with these subjects which I really just did to pass time, English language, economics and business along with retaking my GCSE maths. I've now achieved an A in the maths exam which I took in November and my previous grade was a C which limited me from doing the subjects which I really wanted/needed. I've talked to my teachers at college and they are saying I can't "with the college" do the A-levels within a one year period however, I can do them externally as a private candidate. My only question has anyone else done this before and can it be done? I've heard the science exams have a practical test which has to be done for AQA.

Any other information would be useful,

Its a very risky plan with uncertain likelyhood of success.

For science A levels you need to complete I think 12 assessed practical tasks that could be difficult/expensive for a private candidate to do.

Why not restart year 12 and study these subjects over a normal two year period?
Very very difficult to do in one year. There is a practical endorsment for each science that is mandatory. Math will be linear, as are sciences now, exams are more difficult and chalenging than old specification. It is tough!!! Better to retake year 12. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by the_queen
Very very difficult to do in one year. There is a practical endorsment for each science that is mandatory. Math will be linear, as are sciences now, exams are more difficult and chalenging than old specification. It is tough!!! Better to retake year 12. Good luck!

I don't believe you have to do the practical endorsements, or that what my chemistry teacher said but if you do any science subject, university do want it.

I would retake year 12 but for the course I am applying for it says I need to finish my a level within the 2 year period of when I begin :/
Original post by CharliesUK
I don't believe you have to do the practical endorsements, or that what my chemistry teacher said but if you do any science subject, university do want it.

I would retake year 12 but for the course I am applying for it says I need to finish my a level within the 2 year period of when I begin :/

From experience, I tell you it is hard and practicals are mandatory. With this new specification ir is even harder. Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest