The Student Room Group

Chem percentage uncertainty question

question:
The maximum errors for the pipette and the burette are shown below. These errors take into account multiple measurements.
Pipette ± 0.05 cm3
Burette ± 0.15 cm3
Estimate the maximum percentage error in using each of these pieces of apparatus.
Use an average titre 24.25 cm3 to calculate the percentage error in using the burette.

For the pipette I did 0.05/24.25 *100 but mark scheme says you divide by 25. Why is that???
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
anyone???
Reply 2
please??
Reply 3
Original post by smhn
question:
The maximum errors for the pipette and the burette are shown below. These errors take into account multiple measurements.
Pipette ± 0.05 cm3
Burette ± 0.15 cm3
Estimate the maximum percentage error in using each of these pieces of apparatus.
Use an average titre 24.25 cm3 to calculate the percentage error in using the burette.

For the pipette I did 0.05/24.25 *100 but mark scheme says you divide by 25. Why is that???
Thanks in advance.

To calculate percentage uncertainty you do uncertainty/reading * 100
Reply 4
Yes that's what I did but i'm meant to divide the uncertainty by 25cm cubed and not 24.25. My question is why divide by 25 instead of 24.25?
Original post by SGHD26716
To calculate percentage uncertainty you do uncertainty/reading * 100
Reply 5
someone help me!!!!
Original post by smhn
someone help me!!!!

I think because it says maximum that's why. That's what I think
Reply 7
Original post by Hajra Momoniat
I think because it says maximum that's why. That's what I think

Ohh yeah it could be because of that
Reply 8
any other ideas people???
Original post by smhn
Ohh yeah it could be because of that

:smile: never come across a question like that

Sorry if what I sed is wrong
I think it's because you measure out 25cm3 using a pipette, which you then titrate using a burette

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's because a pipette doesn't have any readings on it apart from that little line which is 25cm3

Therefore you cannot measure 24.25cm3 of whatever it is because there is no accurate way of measuring this. Therefore, you cannot use 24.25 as your reading so you instead use 25.

Makes sense? If not ask.
Reply 12
That makes a lot of sense!! Thanks!
Original post by BTAnonymous
It's because a pipette doesn't have any readings on it apart from that little line which is 25cm3

Therefore you cannot measure 24.25cm3 of whatever it is because there is no accurate way of measuring this. Therefore, you cannot use 24.25 as your reading so you instead use 25.

Makes sense? If not ask.
Original post by smhn
any other ideas people???

The maximum volume of a pipette is 25cm3

Latest