The Student Room Group

Anyone know anything about baseball?

I'm going abroad thought about going to a baseball game never been before don't really understand or know anything about it. Just gonna pick a game but looks like the games are spread over a number of days? I assumed it is a one day event

https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/schedule/2017-08
Reply 1
The game of baseball is fairly easy and straightforward. A match is 9 innings. What is an inning? It is defined as each team, having a chance, to send out a batter to face a pitcher. The pitcher's job is to try to throw balls over what is called a strike zone over the home plate. There is a man named the catcher who is standing behind the batter, and behind the batter is an umpire-or judge. The pitcher, standing some distance away on what is called the "pitcher's mound" (but think of it as being on the "pitch"-the field of play is 1st base, 2nd base, 3rd base and 4th base(which is NEVER called that-it is always called "home plate". The goal of the batter, is, when the pitcher throws the ball, to hit the ball, and advance, to 1st, 2nd, 3rd base. The batter (he is called that because he is holding a bat, and swings at the balls(thrown one at a time) and tries to get on one of the bases-thus the name of the game is "baseball") if he is the first batter in the inning, and no other player has advanced to 1,2, or 3rd base, is either trying to get on base safely, by hitting a ball into the infield (the "pitch" in baseball is the pitcher's mound-where you see the pitcher standing, 1st base, 2nd, 3rd base and home. Each of the bases has a man whose job is to guard the base-he can't get in the path of the batter...if the batter makes contacts with the ball that is pitched and the ball stays in the field of play, the batter then becomes a runner...the man at 1st base (or 2nd or 3rd, the "4th" base called home-is where the catcher stands-behind the batter and in front of the judge or umpire-so the catcher's job is to catch the balls that are not hit-if there is a pitch that the batter swings on and misses or if the batter doesn't swing. Also the catcher is the "guard" of home, so that if a player should advance through the first three bases-his job is to catch the ball thrown by one of the other players on the pitch to get the player "out"-which I will explain.)

Okay-this -I'll try to make it even easier. So, the batter goes to face the pitcher...presume he hits the ball -the ball can go into the infield or the outfield...a deeper part of the filed-which is green-where you have 3 players, a player in the left-field a player in the right field and a player in the center field. I already mentioned the pitcher, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd basemen, and the catcher...there is also a 9th player who is a bit between the infield and the outfield called the shortstop-so basically thing of this person's job as to help get the runner(s) out, to receive balls thrown in from the deeper hits into the outfield and help get the opposing runners who are trying to advance around the bases to home out...if a player gets across the play-there is a core give of one point, so the critical thing is to get players out, before anyone can get on base and run around the bases-and score. There are 3 outs in an inning-and each time will have a chance to both hit (offense) and pitch (defense).

Now, first of all, suppose the pitcher throws a ball and the player misses hitting it-swings and misses-that is what is called a strike. 3 strikes and you are out (a foul ball-a ball hit out of play (outside the lines of the field that you will see) counts as a strike, so if a player swings -misses-one strike, if a player swings and hits a ball-that is foul, that is a strike...but the rule is that a player may not get 3 strikes (called being struck out) based upon all fouls...you could have two fouls and have two strikes and if you keep on hitting the ball out play after that-hitting it foul-you can NOT strike out-the 3rd "strike' must be a swing and a miss.

You can also not swing at a ball-as the batter-and think "okay-this ball will not be considered as falling within the strike zone-over home plate(the area is roughly chest to waist level-that a "pitch" must fall within)

A player goes to the try to hit...in an inning, if players are making hits-the inning will continue forever, until 3 players are called out. Now if a player hits the ball and tries to run to 1st, 2nd or 3rd base-and one of the players in the infield or the outfield catches the hit ball while it is in the air-before it touches the ground-that is an out...3 outs and the inning is over...if the ball hits the ground-and the defense is able to pick up that ball and throw it to the base where the runner is trying to advance, before that player gets there-that is an out...If I go to first base-after a hit-and then, another player comes up-his purpose is two things-first to help the other player on first, go to 2nd, 3rd or home-depending on the situation in the game-that means either hit the ball out of the field of play-called a home run (something any player can hit at any time. If no players of the same team are on 1st, 2nd or 3rd at the time of the hit-then it is a solo home run-1 pt is earned for that one single player going around all the bases (freely without intervention as the ball was hit out of the playing filed...so long as the ball is in the field of play-a player may be thrown out...I could hit the ball, go to 1st base safely...but at any time-I am free to try to "steal"-to try to advance to the next base-and if the players in the infield -from the pitcher-if he has the ball, to the catcher-if he has the ball-can throw to the base you are near-you are going to be out (tagged out-by the ball...in baseball...you don't kick the ball..the ball is hit-and then fielded by a glove-and then thrown to another player with another glove-who then with that glove-tags the runner nearest to them, or throw it to the base that the runner is advancing to, BEFORE that runner "safely" get there-if that is successful-the "before"the player is called "out"-and if too late "the player gets there before- the throw gets there-the player is called "safe")

Back to the batter...if the batter gets a home run-with other players on the field-on base-from his team who have also reached a base...then the total number of players on the bases at the time (a max of 3-1st, 2nd, 3rd base-remember the batter is on the 4th base or home-so if all the other bases were full and I hit a home-run, that is called a grand slam-the highest points-4 points).

That is the basic game of baseball...each time is trying to score points when it is hitting, by getting on base and advancing around the bases...then to play defense and keep the other team from doing the same thing. If I am on offense, and the pitcher throws a ball and hits me (very often on purpose)-I am automatically given the next base. Once a man is on 1st base...and I come up to hit...if I hit the ball, in play, that player MUST advance to the 2nd base or next base...now if the defense gets the ball that I just hit-they can get what is called a double play-2 outs at one time...because there are 2 people -the first one who already was on base, and the one who just hit-to be stopped-so getting them both out is a double play..a triple play-2 people already on base-one comes to hit -making him #3-is also possible, but VERY rare.

Finally, suppose the pitcher throws pitches and lets say-the first pitch is NOT in the strike zone-that imaginary area over the home plate (4th base-but again you will NEVER hear it called that)between roughly chest level and waist level...what if a pitch falls outside that area...well, if I as a batter swing (so it is REALLY my job to watch the area the pitcher is throwing the ball into-and judge whether I can hit it or also, if it is going to be a "strike" in the strike zone...and if not-let it pass without swinging)-at a bad pitch-outside the strike zone-that is my fault-its still a strike-but IF I do not swing-its a ball. If a pitcher throws 4 balls before recording 3 strikes on any batter-it is a walk-free base for the batter to take safely...from there that batter-who is now a runner on base can try to steal the next one..so the pitcher, catcher, anytime a player is on a base-they can NOT just focus on who is next coming up to bat-they must also keep the person on base honest-throw at the base to make sure he does not get a big enough lead off...and the runner's job is NOT to step too far away from the base to not be able to make it back if the catcher or pitcher or another player (if the next batter hits the ball into the field of play (infield or outfield)...so even if there is no pitch by the pitcher...or no hit by the next batter-you will see players trying to steal...that is really a science in itself.

So there you have it-the basic rules of baseball...9 innings, each time takes offense and defense...there is one final thing-an exception to this rule...it is when one team is ahead, and the inning starts with the team ahead on defense...in the 9th and final inning. Now, if I am on defense and am leading...(not behind or tied) in the 9th inning....and I get all three outs without the other team of players overcoming my lead...I will not take offense-the 9th inning is over-I was ahead-the game is finished. IF after 9 innings-the game is a tie...we play on till one team has more points than the other-extra innings (overtime).

Please watch this video or look for similar ones on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8VGW0C_GO4

One final suggestion. Not sure where you will be sitting during the game...my suggestion to you is to make your first game a night game-cooler temperatures, more fun in general(like all sporting events, the $1 pepsi at the game will be $4 or something crazy, as will the food be more expensive)...and be careful...people aer hitting balls into the stands-and when those balls-a baseball is small-they can be thrown over 160km an hour...imagine getting hit upside the head with one of those....so pay attention to the hits...in my opinion, if you an afford it-the best place to sit is behind home plate...above that level of course (since you will not be sitting on the field (the dugout) with the players....but you can enjoy the game from anywhere and there will be big boards showing all angles.

Hope this helps-and again, enjoy the game.

Original post by Dominoes
I'm going abroad thought about going to a baseball game never been before don't really understand or know anything about it. Just gonna pick a game but looks like the games are spread over a number of days? I assumed it is a one day event

https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/schedule/2017-08
Original post by luq_ali
The game of baseball is fairly easy and straightforward. A match is 9 innings. What is an inning? It is defined as each team, having a chance, to send out a batter to face a pitcher. The pitcher's job is to try to throw balls over what is called a strike zone over the home plate. There is a man named the catcher who is standing behind the batter, and behind the batter is an umpire-or judge. The pitcher, standing some distance away on what is called the "pitcher's mound" (but think of it as being on the "pitch"-the field of play is 1st base, 2nd base, 3rd base and 4th base(which is NEVER called that-it is always called "home plate". The goal of the batter, is, when the pitcher throws the ball, to hit the ball, and advance, to 1st, 2nd, 3rd base. The batter (he is called that because he is holding a bat, and swings at the balls(thrown one at a time) and tries to get on one of the bases-thus the name of the game is "baseball":wink: if he is the first batter in the inning, and no other player has advanced to 1,2, or 3rd base, is either trying to get on base safely, by hitting a ball into the infield (the "pitch" in baseball is the pitcher's mound-where you see the pitcher standing, 1st base, 2nd, 3rd base and home. Each of the bases has a man whose job is to guard the base-he can't get in the path of the batter...if the batter makes contacts with the ball that is pitched and the ball stays in the field of play, the batter then becomes a runner...the man at 1st base (or 2nd or 3rd, the "4th" base called home-is where the catcher stands-behind the batter and in front of the judge or umpire-so the catcher's job is to catch the balls that are not hit-if there is a pitch that the batter swings on and misses or if the batter doesn't swing. Also the catcher is the "guard" of home, so that if a player should advance through the first three bases-his job is to catch the ball thrown by one of the other players on the pitch to get the player "out"-which I will explain.)

Okay-this -I'll try to make it even easier. So, the batter goes to face the pitcher...presume he hits the ball -the ball can go into the infield or the outfield...a deeper part of the filed-which is green-where you have 3 players, a player in the left-field a player in the right field and a player in the center field. I already mentioned the pitcher, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd basemen, and the catcher...there is also a 9th player who is a bit between the infield and the outfield called the shortstop-so basically thing of this person's job as to help get the runner(s) out, to receive balls thrown in from the deeper hits into the outfield and help get the opposing runners who are trying to advance around the bases to home out...if a player gets across the play-there is a core give of one point, so the critical thing is to get players out, before anyone can get on base and run around the bases-and score. There are 3 outs in an inning-and each time will have a chance to both hit (offense) and pitch (defense).

Now, first of all, suppose the pitcher throws a ball and the player misses hitting it-swings and misses-that is what is called a strike. 3 strikes and you are out (a foul ball-a ball hit out of play (outside the lines of the field that you will see) counts as a strike, so if a player swings -misses-one strike, if a player swings and hits a ball-that is foul, that is a strike...but the rule is that a player may not get 3 strikes (called being struck out) based upon all fouls...you could have two fouls and have two strikes and if you keep on hitting the ball out play after that-hitting it foul-you can NOT strike out-the 3rd "strike' must be a swing and a miss.

You can also not swing at a ball-as the batter-and think "okay-this ball will not be considered as falling within the strike zone-over home plate(the area is roughly chest to waist level-that a "pitch" must fall within)

A player goes to the try to hit...in an inning, if players are making hits-the inning will continue forever, until 3 players are called out. Now if a player hits the ball and tries to run to 1st, 2nd or 3rd base-and one of the players in the infield or the outfield catches the hit ball while it is in the air-before it touches the ground-that is an out...3 outs and the inning is over...if the ball hits the ground-and the defense is able to pick up that ball and throw it to the base where the runner is trying to advance, before that player gets there-that is an out...If I go to first base-after a hit-and then, another player comes up-his purpose is two things-first to help the other player on first, go to 2nd, 3rd or home-depending on the situation in the game-that means either hit the ball out of the field of play-called a home run (something any player can hit at any time. If no players of the same team are on 1st, 2nd or 3rd at the time of the hit-then it is a solo home run-1 pt is earned for that one single player going around all the bases (freely without intervention as the ball was hit out of the playing filed...so long as the ball is in the field of play-a player may be thrown out...I could hit the ball, go to 1st base safely...but at any time-I am free to try to "steal"-to try to advance to the next base-and if the players in the infield -from the pitcher-if he has the ball, to the catcher-if he has the ball-can throw to the base you are near-you are going to be out (tagged out-by the ball...in baseball...you don't kick the ball..the ball is hit-and then fielded by a glove-and then thrown to another player with another glove-who then with that glove-tags the runner nearest to them, or throw it to the base that the runner is advancing to, BEFORE that runner "safely" get there-if that is successful-the "before"the player is called "out"-and if too late "the player gets there before- the throw gets there-the player is called "safe":wink:

Back to the batter...if the batter gets a home run-with other players on the field-on base-from his team who have also reached a base...then the total number of players on the bases at the time (a max of 3-1st, 2nd, 3rd base-remember the batter is on the 4th base or home-so if all the other bases were full and I hit a home-run, that is called a grand slam-the highest points-4 points).

That is the basic game of baseball...each time is trying to score points when it is hitting, by getting on base and advancing around the bases...then to play defense and keep the other team from doing the same thing. If I am on offense, and the pitcher throws a ball and hits me (very often on purpose)-I am automatically given the next base. Once a man is on 1st base...and I come up to hit...if I hit the ball, in play, that player MUST advance to the 2nd base or next base...now if the defense gets the ball that I just hit-they can get what is called a double play-2 outs at one time...because there are 2 people -the first one who already was on base, and the one who just hit-to be stopped-so getting them both out is a double play..a triple play-2 people already on base-one comes to hit -making him #3-is also possible, but VERY rare.

Finally, suppose the pitcher throws pitches and lets say-the first pitch is NOT in the strike zone-that imaginary area over the home plate (4th base-but again you will NEVER hear it called that)between roughly chest level and waist level...what if a pitch falls outside that area...well, if I as a batter swing (so it is REALLY my job to watch the area the pitcher is throwing the ball into-and judge whether I can hit it or also, if it is going to be a "strike" in the strike zone...and if not-let it pass without swinging)-at a bad pitch-outside the strike zone-that is my fault-its still a strike-but IF I do not swing-its a ball. If a pitcher throws 4 balls before recording 3 strikes on any batter-it is a walk-free base for the batter to take safely...from there that batter-who is now a runner on base can try to steal the next one..so the pitcher, catcher, anytime a player is on a base-they can NOT just focus on who is next coming up to bat-they must also keep the person on base honest-throw at the base to make sure he does not get a big enough lead off...and the runner's job is NOT to step too far away from the base to not be able to make it back if the catcher or pitcher or another player (if the next batter hits the ball into the field of play (infield or outfield)...so even if there is no pitch by the pitcher...or no hit by the next batter-you will see players trying to steal...that is really a science in itself.

So there you have it-the basic rules of baseball...9 innings, each time takes offense and defense...there is one final thing-an exception to this rule...it is when one team is ahead, and the inning starts with the team ahead on defense...in the 9th and final inning. Now, if I am on defense and am leading...(not behind or tied) in the 9th inning....and I get all three outs without the other team of players overcoming my lead...I will not take offense-the 9th inning is over-I was ahead-the game is finished. IF after 9 innings-the game is a tie...we play on till one team has more points than the other-extra innings (overtime).

Please watch this video or look for similar ones on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8VGW0C_GO4

One final suggestion. Not sure where you will be sitting during the game...my suggestion to you is to make your first game a night game-cooler temperatures, more fun in general(like all sporting events, the $1 pepsi at the game will be $4 or something crazy, as will the food be more expensive)...and be careful...people aer hitting balls into the stands-and when those balls-a baseball is small-they can be thrown over 160km an hour...imagine getting hit upside the head with one of those....so pay attention to the hits...in my opinion, if you an afford it-the best place to sit is behind home plate...above that level of course (since you will not be sitting on the field (the dugout) with the players....but you can enjoy the game from anywhere and there will be big boards showing all angles.

Hope this helps-and again, enjoy the game.

Wow cheers pal for that. Christ was that all from scratch should post it somewhere else
Wow cheers pal for that. Christ was that all from scratch should post it somewhere else

If you've been watching baseball your entire life (like I have been and I assume the person who replied to your post did as well) a lot of this stuff is quite basic- not hard to explain just takes longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yes, it was, and as the other poster to the discussion, noted, what I gave was just a general understanding. Baseball is a very interesting and deep sport, although I have grown up my entire life watching baseball and even played to a limited extent, there are those whose knowledge is so much more profound, so what I gave might seem like a lot if you are not familiar with the game, but it is really basic. When you go to the game, and watch the entire game, you will still have questions and learn new things. Its an awesome game, and I hope the night you go, something special happens, like a no hitter (where one team manages to go the entire game, without allowing any batters to on the other team to get a hit and advance to a base, this is a rare thing to see, you might only have a few no-hitters in a season of 30 teams each playing 162 games.) or even the more rarer perfect game (23 of them in over 200,000 games of Major League baseball history over the last more than 130 years-no hitter with no walks, and no scoring by the opposing team.)

Anyway-when you go to the game, also keep in mind, baseball games tend to be lower scoring, you might have a final score of 3 -2, although sometimes you can get a high scoring game, too. So think of the scoring along the lines of watching The World Cup matches.

Reply 5
Baseball is to cricket what American football is to rugby.
Reply 6
Yes, you are absolutely correct! :smile: We all have our favorite sports, and mine are NFL Football, Boxing, and Tennis-though I love and enjoy all sports. But just from growing up watching, and playing a little bit, as you said, the things I shared were general, and it has been truly humbling, the times I have met those fans of Baseball who are like walking almanacs and statistical machines, with understanding of the minutiae of the game.

QUOTE=wolfmoon88;72669600]If you've been watching baseball your entire life (like I have been and I assume the person who replied to your post did as well) a lot of this stuff is quite basic- not hard to explain just takes longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Very true, and since I will be living, God-willing, if all goes according to plan, in the UK now for at least a year, hopefully 4 years if I do my Phd in the UK, I need to learn the rules of cricket and rugby. I am aware there are some legendary cricket players, and I'm very curious to know if the level of skill they have is at or above the skill required to be a baseball legend. I played rugby as a child when I lived in Europe (as much as you can truly play rugby as a child!) and then again a few times in the U.S., but definitely also need a major refresher.

Original post by SGHD26716
Baseball is to cricket what American football is to rugby.
Reply 8
Original post by luq_ali
Very true, and since I will be living, God-willing, if all goes according to plan, in the UK now for at least a year, hopefully 4 years if I do my Phd in the UK, I need to learn the rules of cricket and rugby. I am aware there are some legendary cricket players, and I'm very curious to know if the level of skill they have is at or above the skill required to be a baseball legend. I played rugby as a child when I lived in Europe (as much as you can truly play rugby as a child!) and then again a few times in the U.S., but definitely also need a major refresher.

Cricket is a much tougher sport to play in my opinion.

If you haven't played it before you'll struggle to start playing matches straight away.
Reply 9
I would love seeing some professional matches, so I will take the time over the next few months to learn the basic rules and strategy of both sports.

Cricket is a much tougher sport to play in my opinion.

If you haven't played it before you'll struggle to start playing matches straight away.
Reply 10
Original post by luq_ali
I would love seeing some professional matches, so I will take the time over the next few months to learn the basic rules and strategy of both sports.

Some people think cricket is boring. However, when you see this sort of genius from players, it's amazing to see.

Thanks for the link, it didn't play in the U.S., but I found another copy of it. Looks very interesting. Is there a such thing as a no-hitter or perfect game in cricket (keeping the other team without hits and scoreless?)

Some people think cricket is boring. However, when you see this sort of genius from players, it's amazing to see.

Reply 12
Original post by luq_ali
Thanks for the link, it didn't play in the U.S., but I found another copy of it. Looks very interesting. Is there a such thing as a no-hitter or perfect game in cricket (keeping the other team without hits and scoreless?)

No. There are 3 forms of cricket. One key thing to understand is overs. Each over consists of 6 balls. A bowler cannot bowl consecutive overs but can bowl one after another. So player A can take the first over and player b takes the second over and then player a can then bowl again or perhaps another player can.

The first form of cricket is test cricket. This is the 'purest' and oldest form of cricket. It's is the form in which a match lasts 5 days. Each day consists of 90 overs. Bowlers can bowl as many overs as they want. The team can bat for as long as they want. Each team has 2 innings. Each innings consists of 10 wickets.

Here's an example of a test match

There are also 50 over games, called One day games and T20 games which consist of 20 overs
Which one, is the most popular in the UK? (And I would ask in the world, overall). Which one did the legendary Imran Khan play? (and which one pays
the most-usually-but not always, that is one factor in popularity). I really hope to go see the most popular one and the most which is the most popular at the overall international competitive level, so that hopefully I can become schooled in the game and be a fan for life. I hope the same for Rugby-not sure the differences between Australian and UK forms, but I know there are two leagues and both are popular, so hopefully I can enjoy matches from both.

I also love, what we call soccer in the U.S., but from my time living in Germany-what is of course, actually called football. I enjoy The World Cup, but am REALLY looking forward to living in the UK to hopefully find a team there that I like and care cheer for.

No. There are 3 forms of cricket. One key thing to understand is overs. Each over consists of 6 balls. A bowler cannot bowl consecutive overs but can bowl one after another. So player A can take the first over and player b takes the second over and then player a can then bowl again or perhaps another player can.

The first form of cricket is test cricket. This is the 'purest' and oldest form of cricket. It's is the form in which a match lasts 5 days. Each day consists of 90 overs. Bowlers can bowl as many overs as they want. The team can bat for as long as they want. Each team has 2 innings. Each innings consists of 10 wickets.

Here's an example of a test match

There are also 50 over games, called One day games and T20 games which consist of 20 overs
Reply 14
Original post by luq_ali
Which one, is the most popular in the UK? (And I would ask in the world, overall). Which one did the legendary Imran Khan play? (and which one pays
the most-usually-but not always, that is one factor in popularity). I really hope to go see the most popular one and the most which is the most popular at the overall international competitive level, so that hopefully I can become schooled in the game and be a fan for life. I hope the same for Rugby-not sure the differences between Australian and UK forms, but I know there are two leagues and both are popular, so hopefully I can enjoy matches from both.

I also love, what we call soccer in the U.S., but from my time living in Germany-what is of course, actually called football. I enjoy The World Cup, but am REALLY looking forward to living in the UK to hopefully find a team there that I like and care cheer for.

In the UK, test cricket is probably the most popular followed by ODI (50 overs) followed by T20.

Imran Khan played both test and ODI cricket. He didn't play T20 because when he was playing T20 cricket wasn't invented.

The most popular and highest paying for cricketers is the IPL, the first video I linked you. Players make the majority of their money from the IPL, where players can earn a lot of money. Average for good players is around $300,000-$1,000,000
I will definitely try to explore, then seeing live matches in test and odi cricket

In the UK, test cricket is probably the most popular followed by ODI (50 overs) followed by T20.

Imran Khan played both test and ODI cricket. He didn't play T20 because when he was playing T20 cricket wasn't invented.

The most popular and highest paying for cricketers is the IPL, the first video I linked you. Players make the majority of their money from the IPL, where players can earn a lot of money. Average for good players is around $300,000-$1,000,000

Quick Reply

Latest