The Student Room Group

Is this a 2:1

Would a second year average worth 59.66% rounded up would be 60 which is a 2:1 with the value of that year being 25% towards a degree classification and let’s just say my university takes the top 3 90 credit modules in level 6 with that being worth 75% towards the degree classification if I were in the 3 modules to get a 70,50,50 what average for the year would it come to.
Original post by Anonymous
Would a second year average worth 59.66% rounded up would be 60 which is a 2:1 with the value of that year being 25% towards a degree classification and let’s just say my university takes the top 3 90 credit modules in level 6 with that being worth 75% towards the degree classification if I were in the 3 modules to get a 70,50,50 what average for the year would it come to.

The average of 70, 50 and 50 is 56.67.

If we take 75% of this and 25% of the 59.66 you got for second year, that's a total of 42.5 + 14.92 = 57.42.

That's a 2:2.
Original post by DataVenia
The average of 70, 50 and 50 is 56.67.

If we take 75% of this and 25% of the 59.66 you got for second year, that's a total of 42.5 + 14.92 = 57.42.

That's a 2:2.

What average would that second one need to be and potentially the module that I am predicted to get a first for it to be a 2:1? Also if I score highly on a level 6 module that’s worth 15 credits upon referral/deferral can that module be used to replace a 15 credit module at level 5. The university I attend is Hertfordshire
What average would that second one need to be and potentially the module that I am predicted to get a first for it to be a 2:1? Also if I score highly on a level 6 module that’s worth 15 credits upon referral/deferral can that module be used to replace a 15 credit module at level 5. The university I attend is Hertfordshire

I've just looked up the rules which the University of Hertfordshire use to calculate your overall classification. See D6.1.1 on page 177 of this document. The rules they provide are not quite how you've described them working. Here's what they say:

"For students being considered for a final award with Honours classification, the Programme Board of Examiners will determine for each student:
i the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher; and
ii the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher; and
iii a combined average numeric grade, weighted 75% (i) and 25% (ii), above; and
iv the student’s Honours classification will be considered on the basis of this combined average numeric grade."

You've said that "a second year average worth 59.66%". Was this 4 modules, each worth 30 credits? I suspect not as you've mentioned "a 15 credit module at level 5". In order to apply the logic in the regulations, we need a module-level break-down of both level 5 and level 6, showing the number of credits each is worth and what mark you achieved for each. For any modules for which you don't yet know the result, just put "unknown" or something. Also, please mark the referral/deferral unit - in case that's relevant to the calculation.

With regards to you question about using a 15-credit referral/deferral module from Level 6 to replace a poorer 15-credit module from Level 6 - yes you can. D6.1.4 specifically says, "All pass grades (including referred passes) and compensated grades are eligible for inclusion in the determination of the combined average numeric grade, with the exception of grades awarded for non-University of Hertfordshire modules studied during a period of study abroad and additional modules which are not part of a validated programme of study." (I assume the part about "grades awarded for non-University of Hertfordshire modules" doesn't apply.)

Do note, however, that your referral/deferral module has likely been capped. D5.2.2 iv says, "Students who are successful in referred assessments will be awarded a P(REF) status code for the module. The numeric grade for the module will be limited by any assessment elements which have been failed and then passed at referral being capped to the minimum pass grade."

(Amusingly, whilst searching the document for the word "cap" - to see whether one would apply to the referral/deferral module - I came across a rule which says, "During the examination, students will: ... not wear baseball caps, hoodies or other types of hat which obscure their face." :smile:
I've just looked up the rules which the University of Hertfordshire use to calculate your overall classification. See D6.1.1 on page 177 of this document. The rules they provide are not quite how you've described them working. Here's what they say:

"For students being considered for a final award with Honours classification, the Programme Board of Examiners will determine for each student:
i the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher; and
ii the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher; and
iv the student’s Honours classification will be considered on the basis of this combined average numeric grade."

You've said that "a second year average worth 59.66%". Was this 4 modules, each worth 30 credits? I suspect not as you've mentioned "a 15 credit module at level 5". In order to apply the logic in the regulations, we need a module-level break-down of both level 5 and level 6, showing the number of credits each is worth and what mark you achieved for each. For any modules for which you don't yet know the result, just put "unknown" or something. Also, please mark the referral/deferral unit - in case that's relevant to the calculation.

With regards to you question about using a 15-credit referral/deferral module from Level 6 to replace a poorer 15-credit module from Level 6 - yes you can. D6.1.4 specifically says, "All pass grades (including referred passes) and compensated grades are eligible for inclusion in the determination of the combined average numeric grade, with the exception of grades awarded for non-University of Hertfordshire modules studied during a period of study abroad and additional modules which are not part of a validated programme of study." (I assume the part about "grades awarded for non-University of Hertfordshire modules" doesn't apply.)

Do note, however, that your referral/deferral module has likely been capped. D5.2.2 iv says, "Students who are successful in referred assessments will be awarded a P(REF) status code for the module. The numeric grade for the module will be limited by any assessment elements which have been failed and then passed at referral being capped to the minimum pass grade."

(Amusingly, whilst searching the document for the word "cap" - to see whether one would apply to the referral/deferral module - I came across a rule which says, "During the examination, students will: ... not wear baseball caps, hoodies or other types of hat which obscure their face." :smile:

Hey Data Venia :smile: so I got 69,65,65,62,55,42 as my 6 best high-scoring modules each modules in level 5 were worth 15 credits not 30 and level 5 value is 25%, now for level 6 you said that they take your 90 credits from level 6 into consideration too I studied 3 30 credit modules with an average that I am predicted to get of 70,50,50 though the last two numbers can change dependent on the outcome of an exam and coursework also if I score highly in a referral/deferral module in level 6 can that be used to replace the 42 in level 5 and also what would I roughly need in level 6 to get a 2:1. The average in level 5 works out at 59.66% but they’ll most likely round it up to 60% so…
Hey Data Venia :smile: so I got 69,65,65,62,55,42 as my 6 best high-scoring modules each modules in level 5 were worth 15 credits not 30 and level 5 value is 25%, now for level 6 you said that they take your 90 credits from level 6 into consideration too I studied 3 30 credit modules with an average that I am predicted to get of 70,50,50 though the last two numbers can change dependent on the outcome of an exam and coursework also if I score highly in a referral/deferral module in level 6 can that be used to replace the 42 in level 5 and also what would I roughly need in level 6 to get a 2:1. The average in level 5 works out at 59.66% but they’ll most likely round it up to 60% so…

OK. Those six modules from Level 5 were worth 15 credits each, so that's a total of 90 credits. As the year will have been 120 credits in total, that suggests that the remaining credits scored at of below 42%. Have I got that right?

You've described 90 credits from Level 6 so far ("am predicted to get of 70,50,50"), so we have 30 credits missing. Is there a single 30-credit module for Level 6 which you've not mentioned yet? Or perhaps two 15 credit modules? I'm going to assume the latter, as you wrote earlier about what might happen if you "score highly on a level 6 module that’s worth 15 credits upon referral/deferral".

You seem to have ignored what I quoted earlier, that "Students who are successful in referred assessments will be awarded a P(REF) status code for the module. The numeric grade for the module will be limited by any assessment elements which have been failed and then passed at referral being capped to the minimum pass grade."

So your "if I score highly in a referral/deferral module in level 6 can that be used to replace the 42 in level 5" plan doesn't work, as you'd been trying to replace the 42% module in Level 5 with a capped 40% module from Level 6.

So, he're what I think we're working with.

Level 5
15 credits at 69%
15 credits at 65%
15 credits at 65%
15 credits at 62%
15 credits at 55%
15 credits at 42%
15 credits at 42% or less (because you excluded this module when providing details of your "6 best high-scoring modules each modules in level 5")
15 credits at 42% or less (because you excluded this module when providing details of your "6 best high-scoring modules each modules in level 5")

Level 6
30 credits at 70%
30 credits at 50%
30 credits at 50%
30 credits at 40% (due to "referred assessments ... being capped to the minimum pass grade.")

Can you confirm or correct?
OK. Those six modules from Level 5 were worth 15 credits each, so that's a total of 90 credits. As the year will have been 120 credits in total, that suggests that the remaining credits scored at of below 42%. Have I got that right?

You've described 90 credits from Level 6 so far ("am predicted to get of 70,50,50"), so we have 30 credits missing. Is there a single 30-credit module for Level 6 which you've not mentioned yet? Or perhaps two 15 credit modules? I'm going to assume the latter, as you wrote earlier about what might happen if you "score highly on a level 6 module that’s worth 15 credits upon referral/deferral".

You seem to have ignored what I quoted earlier, that "Students who are successful in referred assessments will be awarded a P(REF) status code for the module. The numeric grade for the module will be limited by any assessment elements which have been failed and then passed at referral being capped to the minimum pass grade."

So your "if I score highly in a referral/deferral module in level 6 can that be used to replace the 42 in level 5" plan doesn't work, as you'd been trying to replace the 42% module in Level 5 with a capped 40% module from Level 6.

So, he're what I think we're working with.

Level 5
15 credits at 69%
15 credits at 65%
15 credits at 65%
15 credits at 62%
15 credits at 55%
15 credits at 42%

Level 6
30 credits at 70%
30 credits at 50%
30 credits at 50%
30 credits at 40% (due to "referred assessments ... being capped to the minimum pass grade.")

Can you confirm or correct?

6 modules as stated from level 5 are worth 15 credits correct. The other two modules were scored at 41% and 40% respectively. Those 3 modules where I have said a predicted estimate of 70,50,50 each of those 3 modules have a worth of 30 credits. That’s the 90 credits. The other two modules of level 6 are 15 credit modules.

Correct :smile: though one of the modules of level 6 with a predicted estimate of 50% may change depending how successful I was in the exam as I believe I’ve done extremely well and I believe I can achieve anything over a 2:1 even a first.
6 modules as stated from level 5 are worth 15 credits correct. The other two modules were scored at 41% and 40% respectively. Those 3 modules where I have said a predicted estimate of 70,50,50 each of those 3 modules have a worth of 30 credits. That’s the 90 credits. The other two modules of level 6 are 15 credit modules.

Correct :smile: though one of the modules of level 6 with a predicted estimate of 50% may change depending how successful I was in the exam as I believe I’ve done extremely well and I believe I can achieve anything over a 2:1 even a first.

Excellent. And one of those 15-credit modules from Level 6 is the referral/deferral module, which will be capped at 40% - right? Do you have any prediction (or result) for that final 15-credit module within Level 6?

Let's run through the calculation step-by-step

i the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher
Let's assume that one of those Level 6 modules which is predicted 50% turns out to be 65% (you say "I can achieve anything over a 2:1 even a first", so I've picked the mid-point between a 2:1 and a first). Let's also assume that the final 15-credit module within Level 6 is at 40% - a worst-case scenario.
That would make your "best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher" 70%, 65% and 50% - i.e. an average of 61.67%.

The "or higher" part of this rule means that if your final 15-credit module within Level 6 is worth more than 42%, then we can drop the 42% and use the value from that Level 6 module instead. However, taking a worse case scenario approach I'm going assume that doesn't happen and your "stuck" with that 42%.
So the "best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher" is simply the average of 69%, 65%, 65%, 62%, 55% and 42% - which all actually come from Level 5. That the same 59.66% average we've been talking about all along.

So we take 75% of 61.67% and add it to 25% of 59.66% to get 61.17%

That's a 2:1. :smile:

If we continue to ignore the two 15-credit modules from Level 6 (because one is capped at 40% and because you've not provided any prediction for the other) then the only "variable" we're tweaking is for the 30-credit module where you say, "I can achieve anything over a 2:1 even a first". As long at that's at least 61% then you'll get over 60% overall, and hence a 2:1.

That calculation would be:
(((70+50+61)/3)*0.75)+(((69+65+65+62+55+42)/6)*0.25) = 60.17%

(Actually, regulation D6.3.1 ii says that, "For an upper second class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 59.50 or more" so you have a little bit or further wiggle-room, but it's probably best not to push it!)
Excellent. And one of those 15-credit modules from Level 6 is the referral/deferral module, which will be capped at 40% - right? Do you have any prediction (or result) for that final 15-credit module within Level 6?

Let's run through the calculation step-by-step

i the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher
Let's assume that one of those Level 6 modules which is predicted 50% turns out to be 65% (you say "I can achieve anything over a 2:1 even a first", so I've picked the mid-point between a 2:1 and a first). Let's also assume that the final 15-credit module within Level 6 is at 40% - a worst-case scenario.
That would make your "best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher" 70%, 65% and 50% - i.e. an average of 61.67%.

The "or higher" part of this rule means that if your final 15-credit module within Level 6 is worth more than 42%, then we can drop the 42% and use the value from that Level 6 module instead. However, taking a worse case scenario approach I'm going assume that doesn't happen and your "stuck" with that 42%.
So the "best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher" is simply the average of 69%, 65%, 65%, 62%, 55% and 42% - which all actually come from Level 5. That the same 59.66% average we've been talking about all along.

So we take 75% of 61.67% and add it to 25% of 59.66% to get 61.17%

That's a 2:1. :smile:

If we continue to ignore the two 15-credit modules from Level 6 (because one is capped at 40% and because you've not provided any prediction for the other) then the only "variable" we're tweaking is for the 30-credit module where you say, "I can achieve anything over a 2:1 even a first". As long at that's at least 61% then you'll get over 60% overall, and hence a 2:1.

That calculation would be:
(((70+50+61)/3)*0.75)+(((69+65+65+62+55+42)/6)*0.25) = 60.17%

(Actually, regulation D6.3.1 ii says that, "For an upper second class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 59.50 or more" so you have a little bit or further wiggle-room, but it's probably best not to push it!)

Yes one of those 15 credit modules will be a referred/deferred module although I have a exam that won’t be capped meaning maximum marks is still available due to me not being able to do it for exceptional circumstances. Other than that the coursework materials are capped. Because of the exam not being capped I believe I could get somewhere between 50-55%. But do you think a 2:1 is getable Data Venia?
But do you think a 2:1 is getable Data Venia?

From what you've written, yes I do. It's not clear-cut and will rely upon some decent marks in the remaining modules. But yes, a 2:1 is achievable.
From what you've written, yes I do. It's not clear-cut and will rely upon some decent marks in the remaining modules. But yes, a 2:1 is achievable.

Based on my project presentation and my dissertation I feel very confident I achieved a first or a high end 2:1 I will be ending that module with a guaranteed 2:1. It’s the exam in that second module I will need to ace as you say a minimum of 65 or I firmly believe I did extremely well enough based on how it went for a 1st then that module alone if I provide you the other coursework result marks should work out as a 2:1 as well.

Second module currently estimate of 50% dependent on exam result previous results in courseworks and exam:

CW1: 67%
CW2: 40%
CW3: 41%
CW4: 65-70% maybe onwards

With each CW have a weighting of 25% does my average for that module then turn out as a 2:1.
Based on my project presentation and my dissertation I feel very confident I achieved a first or a high end 2:1 I will be ending that module with a guaranteed 2:1. It’s the exam in that second module I will need to ace as you say a minimum of 65 or I firmly believe I did extremely well enough based on how it went for a 1st then that module alone if I provide you the other coursework result marks should work out as a 2:1 as well.

Second module currently estimate of 50% dependent on exam result previous results in courseworks and exam:

CW1: 67%
CW2: 40%
CW3: 41%
CW4: 65-70% maybe onwards

With each CW have a weighting of 25% does my average for that module then turn out as a 2:1.

If we take "65-70% maybe onwards" as the mid-point, i.e. 67.5%, then the average of 67%, 40%, 41% and 67.5% is 53.875%. A 2:2.

You would need that "maybe onwards" to reach 92% to average 60% (a 2:1) across the four pieces of coursework.
If we take "65-70% maybe onwards" as the mid-point, i.e. 67.5%, then the average of 67%, 40%, 41% and 67.5% is 53.875%. A 2:2.

You would need that "maybe onwards" to reach 92% to average 60% (a 2:1) across the four pieces of coursework.

Although the higher the overall the greater the chance of 2:1?
If the average for the 3 level 6 modules ended up at 70,56,50 with a 1st and 2 2:2s do you think that’s enough. Knowing I was working on a 2:1 last year at 60%.
Although the higher the overall the greater the chance of 2:1?

I guess. However, if the numbers you provided for CW1, CW2 and CW3 are locked-in (rather than being estimated, or subject to some kind of review), then CW4 would need to be at least 92% for the average across the four of them to be 60% (a 2:1). The higher the better, but 91% (whilst being an incredibly mark) would not get you to an average of 60%.

If the average for the 3 level 6 modules ended up at 70,56,50 with a 1st and 2 2:2s do you think that’s enough. Knowing I was working on a 2:1 last year at 60%.

No. The average of 70, 56 and 50 is 58.67. That wouldn't be sufficient for a 2:1 overall (when combined with last year's numbers).
Although to work out the module average it happens to be confusing in CW1 out of 25 points I obtained 16.75/25 (67%), CW2 10/25 (40%), CW 3 41/100 and CW4 Im predicting and estimating depending on how the exam went I will pick up a first now that is and would be something over 70 let’s say 75/100 since we are in the middle having added that up that gives an average of 57% as I added the total number of marks obtained out of the possible available and divided by the amount of coursework and exams done which is 4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending