The Student Room Group

A level maths

Hey!! I've just finished my IGCSEs (I did international GCSE) and for A levels I'm going to be taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I'd like to ask those who have done A level maths how they found it? And also, which exam board do you think is the most popular among A level maths?

Thankyou! :3
Original post by hannahrl1708
Hey!! I've just finished my IGCSEs (I did international GCSE) and for A levels I'm going to be taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I'd like to ask those who have done A level maths how they found it? And also, which exam board do you think is the most popular among A level maths?

Edexcel is by far the most popular board for maths. I found C1-C4 alright (literally just repeat past papers over and over again). I found S1-S2 more challenging, simply because I hate stats ;3, and therefore had to spend more time making notes to understand the content.
Original post by games211
Edexcel is by far the most popular board for maths. I found C1-C4 alright (literally just repeat past papers over and over again). I found S1-S2 more challenging, simply because I hate stats ;3, and therefore had to spend more time making notes to understand the content.

Ooh I see, I did a mix of Cambridge and edexcel maths but covered the whole of edexcel syllabus. Thankyou for your reply!! :3
I did AQA. 2 being easiest, 10 being hardest, I'd say it was a manageable but difficult 6
I meant to say 1 being easiest but can't edit on mobile
Ooh I see, I did a mix of Cambridge and edexcel maths but covered the whole of edexcel syllabus. Thankyou for your reply!! :3

No problem. I'm confident you'll do great!
hey
I am currently doing A level Maths with Edexcel and i will say Edexcel is the most popular exam board (because ocr and aqa is a bit tougher i will say). i did c1 c2 c3 s1 m1 and fp1 this year, and i am planning to do m2, s2, s3,m3,fp2 and c4 this year. So i will say u must choose wisely your modules. if u are a stat type person, i will say u should go for s1 and s2 for the first a level but if u are an physics student, go for mechanics, it would be easier for u. If u never did physics , i mean at igcse, i don not recommend that you mess with mechanics. if u are thinking a degree in comp sci or you are more of a critical thinker with good decision making abilities, i will say you can go for d1 and d2. but i recommend u doing s1 and d1 which will be the easiest.
Original post by examdealer
hey
I am currently doing A level Maths with Edexcel and i will say Edexcel is the most popular exam board (because ocr and aqa is a bit tougher i will say). i did c1 c2 c3 s1 m1 and fp1 this year, and i am planning to do m2, s2, s3,m3,fp2 and c4 this year. So i will say u must choose wisely your modules. if u are a stat type person, i will say u should go for s1 and s2 for the first a level but if u are an physics student, go for mechanics, it would be easier for u. If u never did physics , i mean at igcse, i don not recommend that you mess with mechanics. if u are thinking a degree in comp sci or you are more of a critical thinker with good decision making abilities, i will say you can go for d1 and d2. but i recommend u doing s1 and d1 which will be the easiest.

Most people in my year (including myself) found S2 to be easier than S1 just because there is less learning to do in S2 lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by games211
Most people in my year (including myself) found S2 to be easier than S1 just because there is less learning to do in S2 lol.

it really changes from person to person, by talking on the difficulty of s1, it is really like kindergarden maths, taking mean median and modes, i heard that s2 is a bit more mathematical and more advanced than s1
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of taking a level maths when I go to sixth form (going into year 11 now). Do you get to choose your own modules? How many can you pick? Is the workload manageable? Would be taking biology and psychology / geography with it.

ocr. A LEVEL MATHS STAY AWAY, JUST DON'T
Reply 11
Original post by apeshit007
ocr. A LEVEL MATHS STAY AWAY, JUST DON'T

It's better than the other two. At least you don't have papers being leaked left right and centre
Original post by SGHD26716
It's better than the other two. At least you don't have papers being leaked left right and centre

true dat
Original post by examdealer
hey

Ohh ok, in IGCSE I did both (statistics and physics etc) so I guess I'll think about which modules :smile: I do prefer and enjoy mechanics way more than statistics though.

Thanks for the reply!
I did A level Mathematics and I'm actually doing BSC Mathematics at univeristy lol. So I did Edexcel. All of the core exams were fine and I did statistics which was quite hard.

You just need to make sure you do thousands of pass papers and make sure you practise each topic like crazy. erm i made notes really early on in the year which helped me alot and also try to get used to to doing the harder questions as soon as possible becaus that way you will find them easier once you've practised them :smile:. questions are hard in exams but once you know the format then you'll be fine. and also when you do the pass papers make sure you mark them yourself because that way you will know what the mark scheme is like and it will so much easier when you do the actual exam because you know how to answer the questions and what the format has to be like

Good luck :smile: x
Original post by Student1408
I did A level Mathematics and I'm actually doing BSC Mathematics at univeristy lol. So I did Edexcel. All of the core exams were fine and I did statistics which was quite hard.

You just need to make sure you do thousands of pass papers and make sure you practise each topic like crazy. erm i made notes really early on in the year which helped me alot and also try to get used to to doing the harder questions as soon as possible becaus that way you will find them easier once you've practised them :smile:. questions are hard in exams but once you know the format then you'll be fine. and also when you do the pass papers make sure you mark them yourself because that way you will know what the mark scheme is like and it will so much easier when you do the actual exam because you know how to answer the questions and what the format has to be like

Good luck :smile: x

Oh I found out I'm also going to be doing Edexcel maths for A levels! :smile: Since I enjoy maths I already started going over the syllabus and doing more advanced questions from IGCSE and looking over the A level questions. Thankyou for the advice! :smile: xx
Oh I found out I'm also going to be doing Edexcel maths for A levels! :smile: Since I enjoy maths I already started going over the syllabus and doing more advanced questions from IGCSE and looking over the A level questions. Thankyou for the advice! :smile: xx

Oh right that's great. Wish u all the best and keep up the good work! Pm me if u ever need any help with anything . I'd love to help :smile:. I've got nothing better to these days lol.

Let me know if u need any help with questions :smile: x
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Student1408
Oh right that's great. wish u all the best and keep up the good work. pm me if u ever need any help. I'd love to help :smile:. Also because I've got nothing better to these days lol.

let me know if u need any help :smile: x

Will do! Thankyou so much!! :3 x

Unfortunately no-one can answer your question because you will be studying the new specification. Everyone under 35 or so will have studied the modular specification which has been replaced for new Year 12s.

Quick Reply

Latest