The Student Room Group

a level maths

so i picked my a-levels n one of them was double maths (i believe?) n i'm curious,,, can any1 who picked that for a-levels jus give me an idea of their experience,, was it hard? lol ++ this is coming from a girl who hates maths but app this would b rly useful for my future soooo yea, thank u <33

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mzzz_k
so i picked my a-levels n one of them was double maths (i believe?) n i'm curious,,, can any1 who picked that for a-levels jus give me an idea of their experience,, was it hard? lol ++ this is coming from a girl who hates maths but app this would b rly useful for my future soooo yea, thank u <33

Hi,

The workload for further maths is very intense, what do you want to study and uni/ do as a career? If you're set on doing maths, I think it's doable if you stay on top of the recommended homework. However, a passion for maths is ideal because it would make the work more enjoyable.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,

The workload for further maths is very intense, what do you want to study and uni/ do as a career? If you're set on doing maths, I think it's doable if you stay on top of the recommended homework. However, a passion for maths is ideal because it would make the work more enjoyable.

Hope this helps!

honestly idk what i wanna do in the future but ik taking maths for a-levels is a good choice,,, how much hw is there for maths n is it hardddddd,,,, i heard there's sum called "double maths" and "further maths" so which is the harder one????
Original post by mzzz_k
honestly idk what i wanna do in the future but ik taking maths for a-levels is a good choice,,, how much hw is there for maths n is it hardddddd,,,, i heard there's sum called "double maths" and "further maths" so which is the harder one????

Double maths = Maths + Further Maths (to my understanding).
Maths is definitely a step up from GCSE Maths. If you don't like maths, then I recommend restricting your choice to just regular maths.
Further maths will have material that will build on what you learn in maths. If you don't like maths and are struggling with Maths alone, you don't want to do Further maths.

Further maths is usually only asked for in top end universities and in very quantitative degrees e.g. economics, maths, physics. Maths alone would get you into these courses if you have stellar grades.

Maths would be a required A Level in the following subjects:

Physics

Engineering

Computer science and software engineering

Maths (mid-tier universities)

Economics

Financial mathematics and actuarial science

Data science and data analytics

The above degrees tend to be quantitative in nature i.e. you will be doing quite a bit of maths. If you don''t like maths, you wouldn't want to do the above degrees anyway. Whilst Maths A Level is one of the most respected A Level subject out there, it's not a good idea to do it if it ends up compromising your ability to get a high grade in it; you would want to get high grades in 3 relevant subjects or subjects you enjoy than have 2 high grades and 1 low one.

If you want to pick A Level subjects and you don't know what you want to do, I would consider looking at the required A Level subjects as these would be the limiting factors to which degree you can possibly end up doing:

Biology

Chemistry

Physics (not much point in doing this if you don't do maths)

Maths

Further Maths

History

English Literature (for some English degrees)

Geography (for some geography and geology degrees)

Psychology (for some psychology degrees)

Classical civilisation, Classical Greek, Latin

Art and Design (for some design degrees)

Music

Modern Languages

The sort of jobs where you would need a degree (or degree level education) in order to get into them include:

Engineering (maybe)

Law

Life sciences and healthcare

Education

Architecture

Research and academia

Economics

The only jobs that you can't get away with doing an apprenticeship or professional qualifications for would be some jobs in healthcare, education, and research.

If you want to avoid maths and the like in most jobs, then consider doing a degree in life science, as you can find it easier to transition into other roles should you need to (other than architecture and math based roles). The essential subjects are Biology and Chemistry usually. Do note, these subjects are considered difficult at A Level, although you might have a better time with them than maths if you don't like the subject.
Original post by mzzz_k

I'd just do Maths A level and not FMaths as well unless the degree/uni you want demands it. Most people don't need FMaths - what GCSE grade are you working at in Maths?
Reply 5
Original post by MindMax2000
Double maths = Maths + Further Maths (to my understanding).
Maths is definitely a step up from GCSE Maths. If you don't like maths, then I recommend restricting your choice to just regular maths.
Further maths will have material that will build on what you learn in maths. If you don't like maths and are struggling with Maths alone, you don't want to do Further maths.

Further maths is usually only asked for in top end universities and in very quantitative degrees e.g. economics, maths, physics. Maths alone would get you into these courses if you have stellar grades.

Maths would be a required A Level in the following subjects:

Physics

Engineering

Economics

The above degrees tend to be quantitative in nature i.e. you will be doing quite a bit of maths. If you don''t like maths, you wouldn't want to do the above degrees anyway. Whilst Maths A Level is one of the most respected A Level subject out there, it's not a good idea to do it if it ends up compromising your ability to get a high grade in it; you would want to get high grades in 3 relevant subjects or subjects you enjoy than have 2 high grades and 1 low one.

If you want to pick A Level subjects and you don't know what you want to do, I would consider looking at the required A Level subjects as these would be the limiting factors to which degree you can possibly end up doing:

Biology

Chemistry

Physics (not much point in doing this if you don't do maths)

Maths

Further Maths

History

English Literature (for some English degrees)

Geography (for some geography and geology degrees)

Psychology (for some psychology degrees)

Classical civilisation, Classical Greek, Latin

Art and Design (for some design degrees)

Music

Modern Languages

The sort of jobs where you would need a degree (or degree level education) in order to get into them include:

Engineering (maybe)

Law

Education

Architecture

Research and academia

Economics

The only jobs that you can't get away with doing an apprenticeship or professional qualifications for would be some jobs in healthcare, education, and research.

If you want to avoid maths and the like in most jobs, then consider doing a degree in life science, as you can find it easier to transition into other roles should you need to (other than architecture and math based roles). The essential subjects are Biology and Chemistry usually. Do note, these subjects are considered difficult at A Level, although you might have a better time with them than maths if you don't like the subject.

well i picked a-level physics n a-level double maths (bc i can't take physics w/o maths) n sociology n law as my subjects,, i'm not sure which route i'll take but i'll prob end up going whichev route my a-levels allow me to do lol,,, n from what u say it's pretty obv i'll need maths in jus ab everythinggggg,,,, but ty for the help <3
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
I'd just do Maths A level and not FMaths as well unless the degree/uni you want demands it. Most people don't need FMaths - what GCSE grade are you working at in Maths?

normal "a-level maths" is jus double maths right? idk what grade i'm at rn cus i'm self teaching at home but i'm assuming around grade 7-8?? i rly dk omggg butttt i can do higher tier topics n is kinda good at maths (mayb? idk) i think i picked normal a-level maths which has to b easy lol -- compared to further maths right???
i'm doing a-level maths atm (year 12) and got an 8 in gcse. if you are finding gcse maths manageable i'd say you should be fine with normal a-level. this may just be my college but my workload for maths is significantly less than for my other subjects (biology and psychology). unless you want to do something maths-related at university, i wouldn't pick further maths
Reply 8
Original post by thrivingfrog
i'm doing a-level maths atm (year 12) and got an 8 in gcse. if you are finding gcse maths manageable i'd say you should be fine with normal a-level. this may just be my college but my workload for maths is significantly less than for my other subjects (biology and psychology). unless you want to do something maths-related at university, i wouldn't pick further maths

is a-level maths haaaarddddd??? altho the other subjs u picked r also pretty hard,,, what can u do w a normal a-level in maths compared to further maths like r there jus lesser chances in uni iffff u decide to pick smt to do w maths?????
Original post by mzzz_k
is a-level maths haaaarddddd??? altho the other subjs u picked r also pretty hard,,, what can u do w a normal a-level in maths compared to further maths like r there jus lesser chances in uni iffff u decide to pick smt to do w maths?????

imo i don't find it that hard and my friends that also do maths all find it relatively easy but i know some people struggle with it. if you're finding gcse fairly okay you shouldn't find a-level that difficult but there is a definite step up.
basically if you decided you wanted to do a maths degree and possibly engineering/computer science they may prefer someone with further maths. i'm not 100% on this though because i don't know much in this area (i'm looking at psych degrees) so you may be better to ask people with experience in this area/teachers etc :smile:
Original post by mzzz_k
normal "a-level maths" is jus double maths right? idk what grade i'm at rn cus i'm self teaching at home but i'm assuming around grade 7-8?? i rly dk omggg butttt i can do higher tier topics n is kinda good at maths (mayb? idk) i think i picked normal a-level maths which has to b easy lol -- compared to further maths right???

have you not been doing past papers?
Reply 11
Original post by AmIReallyHere
have you not been doing past papers?

yea i do them sometimes but it doesn't rly count cus i can never complete them within the timeframe n often start panicking n messing up lol
Original post by mzzz_k
well i picked a-level physics n a-level double maths (bc i can't take physics w/o maths) n sociology n law as my subjects,, i'm not sure which route i'll take but i'll prob end up going whichev route my a-levels allow me to do lol,,, n from what u say it's pretty obv i'll need maths in jus ab everythinggggg,,,, but ty for the help <3

Well it makes sense to do physics with maths, otherwise physics on its own won't make that much sense (physics and most engineering degrees require both maths and physics)

Again double maths mean both maths and further maths. If you wanted to do A Level maths, just do A Level maths not double maths.

No, you don't need maths for everything. Yes, maths will open a lot of doors and it's a very respected A Level, but you don't need it for everything.

From your list of A Levels, only physics and maths are required subjects (further maths is a borderline required subject in some disciplines).

Again, the subjects that require maths are:

Physics

Engineering

Economics

Biological mathematics

Statistics

Double maths would allow you to go into the above subjects even in top end universities.

From the list above, physics would be required for physics and engineering. However, with the physics and maths combo, you can also go into the following subjects that require 2 sciences or q science + maths:

Optometry

Radiography (might be wrong on this)

Geology

Possibly environmental science

However, you can also do degrees that accept 3 A Levels in any subjects, including:

Anything in business school expect financial mathematics and actuarial science (which you already have covered from above)

Law

Anthropology

Aracheology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Nonquantiative economics degree

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Agriculture

Pilot training

Most architecture degrees (55/59 in the country)

Most art and design degrees

Some geography degrees

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Social work

Should you decide to ditch maths, you can still go into the above fields with just physics, law, and sociology.

However, you don't technically need to do a degree in certain fields to get into certain fields, and I come from a school of thought that says that you should do a degree in an area in which you would benefit from having one (i.e. it allows you to go into research, is required for certain jobs, or will materially help you to go for certain jobs), especially when you have to pay a rather high price tag for the education. Again in my opinion, these areas are in:

Engineering (maybe)

Law

Education

Architecture

Research and academia

Economics

Original post by mzzz_k

No A level Maths is just one a level - 'double' Maths means Maths and FMaths ie two A levels.
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
No A level Maths is just one a level - 'double' Maths means Maths and FMaths ie two A levels.

the college i'm going to has no option for jus "a-level maths"???? n ur saying u get 1 a-level w double maths n 2 a-levels w further maths
Original post by mzzz_k

Heya!
A-level maths can get challenging but if you keep up with the material and focus on practising by doing practice questions then you should be fine :h: Similar goes for FM. Just make sure to do continuous revision and keep up with the material!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 16
Well it makes sense to do physics with maths, otherwise physics on its own won't make that much sense (physics and most engineering degrees require both maths and physics)

Again double maths mean both maths and further maths. If you wanted to do A Level maths, just do A Level maths not double maths.

No, you don't need maths for everything. Yes, maths will open a lot of doors and it's a very respected A Level, but you don't need it for everything.

From your list of A Levels, only physics and maths are required subjects (further maths is a borderline required subject in some disciplines).

Again, the subjects that require maths are:

Physics

Engineering

Economics

Biological mathematics

Statistics

Double maths would allow you to go into the above subjects even in top end universities.

From the list above, physics would be required for physics and engineering. However, with the physics and maths combo, you can also go into the following subjects that require 2 sciences or q science + maths:

Optometry

Radiography (might be wrong on this)

Geology

Possibly environmental science

However, you can also do degrees that accept 3 A Levels in any subjects, including:

Anything in business school expect financial mathematics and actuarial science (which you already have covered from above)

Law

Anthropology

Aracheology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Nonquantiative economics degree

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Agriculture

Pilot training

Most architecture degrees (55/59 in the country)

Most art and design degrees

Some geography degrees

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Social work

Should you decide to ditch maths, you can still go into the above fields with just physics, law, and sociology.

However, you don't technically need to do a degree in certain fields to get into certain fields, and I come from a school of thought that says that you should do a degree in an area in which you would benefit from having one (i.e. it allows you to go into research, is required for certain jobs, or will materially help you to go for certain jobs), especially when you have to pay a rather high price tag for the education. Again in my opinion, these areas are in:

Engineering (maybe)

Law

Education

Architecture

Research and academia

Economics

thank u sm for the help <3333 did u take a-level maths? how's it going for u????? was it fun lol
Original post by mzzz_k
thank u sm for the help <3333 did u take a-level maths? how's it going for u????? was it fun lol

Completed it. Didn't get the grade that I wanted, but it's good enough for most universities that I am applying to and for the course/stream that I wanted.

Was A Level Maths fun? I sometimes ask myself the same question.
It's challenging/aggravating at times, but it's also engages you like no other subject. I personally like maths and want to do something that involves applied maths, so I am biased. At the very least, maths allows you to grow and stretch yourself that you don't quite get in other subjects. When you do finally get the material, it's a mark of achievement and it gives you some sense of intellectual growth as a person.

I am currently looking into further maths, and that's more gruelling.
Original post by mzzz_k
the college i'm going to has no option for jus "a-level maths"???? n ur saying u get 1 a-level w double maths n 2 a-levels w further maths

They must have - ask them - you just want one A level.

Double Maths is Maths + F Maths - two separate A levels.
Reply 19
Completed it. Didn't get the grade that I wanted, but it's good enough for most universities that I am applying to and for the course/stream that I wanted.

Was A Level Maths fun? I sometimes ask myself the same question.
It's challenging/aggravating at times, but it's also engages you like no other subject. I personally like maths and want to do something that involves applied maths, so I am biased. At the very least, maths allows you to grow and stretch yourself that you don't quite get in other subjects. When you do finally get the material, it's a mark of achievement and it gives you some sense of intellectual growth as a person.

I am currently looking into further maths, and that's more gruelling.

wowwww what subj did u take for a-levels?? jus normal gcse maths is alr aggrevating for me n now i'm curious what a-level maths would b like omgggg ++ would u take further maths as a degree in uni orrr?

Quick Reply

Latest